SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Dodge Challenger will be redesigned sooner or later.

16K views 127 replies 30 participants last post by  Slowpoke387 
#1 ·
The Challenger hasn’t seen a significant redesign since 2008 and it got a refresh for 2015. Earlier, I read few articles that a new Challenger would arrive for 2023; which does not mean that the current model will disappear. A publication alleges Dodge is considering building the current- and next-generation Challenger models together, if only for a few months, at the Brampton Assembly Plant in Ontario, Canada.

The Challenger has been out for a decade, and it’s only getting more popular. Even though Chrysler hasn’t fully redesigned the Challenger, they’ve kept it tremendously modern with many technology updates. They’re also releasing new versions, continually keeping buyers coming back with more power, new models and special versions like the Hellcat, the Redeye, and the Demon. Why change something that is almost perfect?

So, will we see a refresh soon?
Thoughts.

#47 ·
So, we are in July 2021, in the middle of a pandemic 😷 and a chip shortage. Almost all car factories are stopped and a bunch of dealerships are asking ridiculous market price (at least here in Miami, $50K over MSRP for a Challenger RT). Here is coming out again my question: Will we see a redesign in the challenger for next year?

#50 ·
If they are going to make them Ricey looking like the new Mustwang's and Camero's they should just retire the name.

Reactions: Baldnut
#51 ·
The Challenger hasn’t seen a significant redesign since 2008 and it got a refresh for 2015. Earlier, I read few articles that a new Challenger would arrive for 2023; which does not mean that the current model will disappear. A publication alleges Dodge is considering building the current- and next-generation Challenger models together, if only for a few months, at the Brampton Assembly Plant in Ontario, Canada.

The Challenger has been out for a decade, and it’s only getting more popular. Even though Chrysler hasn’t fully redesigned the Challenger, they’ve kept it tremendously modern with many technology updates. They’re also releasing new versions, continually keeping buyers coming back with more power, new models and special versions like the Hellcat, the Redeye, and the Demon. Why change something that is almost perfect?

So, will we see a refresh soon?
Thoughts.
A woman's body and the Challenger. Two things that need no "modernization."

#52 ·
On a related note, Ferrari never topped the 330 P4 in beauty. No other car sings "Ferrari" in a voice that would do Luciano Pavorotti proud like the Le Mans winning Ferrari 330 P4 coupe.

In a similar vein, "Mopar" will be associated with the Hellcat Challenger for decades to come. Sorry, lovers of the amorphous blob other Hellcat model.

#57 ·
20 years from now, after my future kids grow up with the Hellcat, I want to be able to look pack, insert thumbs under underarms, and say, "Welp, I sure made the right move." As all the other kids stare wide-eyed at the Himmelkat kids who got to ride around in the fastest car in the valley, that makes wonderful noises and is as distinct from the other neutermobiles as the sound of the Matra motor was over top of all the other LeMans cars of its day, which motor you could track, audibly, around the entire circuit, over the sounds of the other cars, as you sat in one of the pits.

#58 ·
Well, September 2021, nothing has changed in the challenger design after a Pandemic (currently), a chips shortage, Stellantis disbanded SRT team, and the higher dealer markups ever. Crazy eh?
So, here is again my question.
Will we see a redesign in 2022?
Wil we see the “Power Dollar” discount again?
What will happen with the Hellcats future?

#63 ·
Well, September 2021, nothing has changed in the challenger design after a Pandemic (currently), a chips shortage, Stellantis disbanded SRT team, and the higher dealer markups ever. Crazy eh?
So, here is again my question.
Will we see a redesign in 2022?
Wil we see the “Power Dollar” discount again?
What will happen with the Hellcats future?
Pretty much guaranteed no redesign for the 2022 model year. My grass roots sources say no Power Dollars for 2022 (given the current state of affairs with production shortages and anticipated high demand). Right now, dealerships are just fine with moving cars above MSRP and no incentives. There's no reason for anyone to slash the price on them when folks are scooping the inventory bare at MSRP or better.

Hellcat future: As I've been saying for a couple years now, I still believe the final ICE Hellcats will roll out in 2023. What happens after that is none of my concern, as I don't do electric vehicles and I have my forever Hellcat ;)

#64 ·
Posted this somewhere else.

Automotive News reports Dodge reports Dodge will release a hybrid plug-in model in 2022 and a battery electric in 2024, with a fully electric concept being unveiled in 2022. It does not say when or even if they plan to abandon a combustion at some point. Also in the article Stellantis is giving each brand a 14 year window to prove viability. Also in the issue are several sales metrics by brand and model. Fiat overall is a very poor performer and will probably be rebranded even sooner. The body style won't significantly change until 2025 from speculative sources, can't confirm.

Bond, Vince. "Muscling In"
Automotive News, 23 Aug. 2021, pp. 43

#69 ·
I'd buy an electric if it made an actual sound that sounded like a Tie Fighter... and I'm not talking about fake sound through the speakers. Like, make it with a noisy electric motor that sounds like a tie fighter. That might be fun to do burnouts in.

#73 ·
Oh and, I'm still not officially believing that the performance EV thing will take off. Like with the current deliveries of the new Plaid. Tesla lied to their customers and every single one of them is being shipped with smaller tires/wheels and a software speed limiter set at 160-some odd mph. Sure, 160 is still fast, but they were billed as being sold as 200mph vehicles. Tesla didn't have the wheels ready, so they shipped them sans the larger wheels, which won't be available until sometime in 2022. Then, you'll have to go to the Tesla service center to have the vehicle upgraded. In addition, the current range calculations have been ran using these smaller, narrower tires. Once the Plaid gets its real tires and wheels, it won't be as long ranged. Thus, with the Plaid, you can have long range and be slower than a Hellcat (hehe), or shorter ranged with full power. Either way, it's a bait-and-switch... just a rotten way to do business.

Imagine if we bought a Hellcat, after all the hype about it being a 203mph car, only to find out Dodge put a speed limiter in it to restrict it to 160.

#74 ·
Again, let’s wait for the future but if it’s electric, I can’t imagine myself driving a silence car. I bought a Shelby 350 because the beauty of this engine, so sweet to hear. I ordered it with technology package because it had the B&O audio system. How many times I have turn it on? Never. 🤣 I can’t drive that car listening radio. Seriously, I need to get my Redeye before dodge ends this amazing car.

#75 ·
Im curious if they even have a redesign in the works, they really should, a better chassis that is lightweight. Kind of like the Alpha chassis vs Zeta in the camaros. The zeta was heavier and with the Alpha, really showed how great GM cars are with handling. I really wish Dodge focused on this, we know they're going electric, if they go E, these cars will be even heavier.

Why not invest in a lighter better chassis, size can remain the same. Lighter chassis would be to improve everything while adding heavy batters and e-motor(s).

#76 ·
The EV model would have to be all new, as the battery packs are integral to structural rigidity of the car. Modern EVs' battery packs are the entire bottom side of the frame in most newer all electric cars. Thus, the new Charger EV (or whatever they call it), will be an all new, very very heavy car that probably weighs close to 6,000lb.

#81 · (Edited)
I haven't done 200mph in my Challenger. Never said I did or alluded to as such. My Hellcat is my daily, I have track cars for other such things. I know you're new around here, but I've posted my other cars on here before. My Hellcat is the slowest and lowest horsepower street legal car in my stable... well, except for the Elise. She's a pure track monkey (and still a right hand drive car).

My post, both of them, were about top speed. I said that in both of them. I used to own a Model S Performance. I sold it after 6 months... hated every second of it. Technically, it was my wife's. She didn't like it either. She now drives a Hyundai Tucson and loves it. Go figure. But aside from acceleration, it's just boring as hell to drive. Again, I'm probably spoiled as I've driven much, much, MUCH faster cars than even the Plaid. IMO, the Plaid is cool to non-car people. Some of us car people have been driving sub 10 second cars for 30 years :) Welcome to the club?

I showed my wife these posts and she says, "It's just a new generation of Audi owner, dear." I agree :)

#92 ·
Reminder that a Tesla Plaid is 2X the price of a Super Stock if you get a dealer to work with you...
Not a apples to Apples comparison.

Still the Tesla is the most impressive thing out there.

#94 ·
Reminder that a Tesla Plaid is 2X the price of a Super Stock if you get a dealer to work with you...
Not a apples to Apples comparison.

Still the Tesla is the most impressive thing out there.
I saw this in YDBT's YT video:

Its pretty crazy how it almost beat a modded 720s while the plaid had 4 people in it. Ignore forum writer talking about top speed, chances are he wont even do 140mph in his HC on the freeway.

#96 ·
Not sure where it was said that we have to like anything. Anything can be fast when money is involved. Its pretty crazy how quick the Plaid is for a stock car on street tires, 9.1 sec @152mph.

With that said I would get an HC before getting a Tesla, but thats because I dont need a DD. I work from home and when I do need to go to the office I have a liter bike to commute in.

#97 ·
As some one still to young to be a AARP member but retired 1 time and close 2 to your a little harsh on opinion. Also that redeye is still 50 K less than a Plaid I would expect. If I had 150K for a " fun Car " I would own a Plaid.

#98 ·
That might be the beauty of these electric cars, given that in 2015/2016 the fastest model S was running 11.6 at something like 119mph. Give electric cars another 4-5 years and there will be a new fast AF E-car. By then the Plaid should be well under 100k, thats when I would take the plunge.

That Silver HC you posted is cool, would've been cooler if it was a manual!

#99 ·
"By then the Plaid should be well under 100k, that's when I would take the plunge. "
With inflation I greatly doubt that.
Me also though if true, but if some one wants a LS1 F Body I respect that also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.