SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Dodge changed the stock wheels on 23 :(

3385 102
Well, tonight I am extremely disappointed after I got a rendering finally showing up beside my order.

This is the car I thought I had ordered:
Wheel Tire Window Vehicle Hood

This is the render:
Wheel Vehicle Tire Window Hood

I apologize to anyone who likes these wheels, everyone has their own tastes, but I am extremely saddened. It dramatically changes the look of the car, and I am just upset with dodge for not having an updated build experience for us to use to order these cars. This is not what I was expecting at all. (The dealer does know to leave the license plate off my car though, so at least there is that! lol).

I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to ask him if it's possible to order a set of '22 stock OEM wheels. It's just honestly killing a lot of the joy of ordering this car for me to have such a prominent feature swapped out from what I was expecting. This was my first ordered car and I can't understate how in love with it I was.

Emphasis on was.

Don't suppose anyone here is near Boston/new england and has very lightly used '22 stock wheels you want to trade? Or does anyone have input on how to get the wheels I wanted?
Reactions: Jagdtiger
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What’s the wheel code on your POC?

The stock photo on the render you received should say “Image shown may not exactly match the purchased vehicle.”

What matters the most is what the wheel code is on your POC.
When I looked it up it is a single-word difference; these wheels are 99% likely what is on these cars stock. DRAG vs PERF. PERF was not an option; they swapped the stock wheels from 22 for these. I explicitly ordered the stock because I like the look best.

Edit: Code is WPJ - 20X9.5 Low Gloss Black Drag Wheels. The window sticker also confirms these are the "correct" wheels. This is the '23 hellcat stock wheel, and it is NOT what was represented when I ordered. :(

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This literally ruins the car lol. If I had ANY visual representation I would have sprung for the aluminum ones with the shape I wanted. Calling my dealer to see what can't be done, this is not what I wanted or ordered. I only got a visual representation for the first time yesterday, after the car has already been shipped. Why the **** would they change the stock hellcat tires to this garbage.

******* scat pack wheels on a hellcat??? -_-

Sorry for the language and general lack of etiquette, I am so absolutely disappointed. I am hoping my dealer can get me a set of 22 stock rims OR retroactively upgrade me to the aluminum ones with the shape I want. I don't want that ******* bicycle looking shit.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone on the site not mentioned that yet? That's a major change.
My dealer didn't mention it, nobody did. I justfound out with my car on the way, already ******* built so I cannot change it to the upgraded version with the shape I want. CALL THEM NOW if your normal body hasn't been started yet. Pay the extra 2k for the aluminum 5 spoke if that was what you had your heart set on.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sucks not getting what you ordered. But like someone else said....easy fix. It's not like it came in with the wrong color. You will get the wheels squared away and you will have zero regrets, we promise.
It just sucks all the joy out of Christmas day to realize your car is ugly. >.< It's amazing how much wheels can change the appearance of a car. I don't love the car coming to me like I adored the car I thought i was getting. I am actually looking for another dealer selling at MSRP to place a new order with the right wheels it bothers me so much.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The wheels you want are not available any more. You can get the 5-Deep in the Matte Vapor finish (WSE) but not in the traditional Black (WEB).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah that's what I would have ordered had I known they were changing the stock. :( It's not my first choice, but I could just powdercoat them black, or live with the dark grey. They'd be the right shape.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
1. You didn't know the wheels you ordered? 2. Like was said, you KNOW you'll get different wheels before the car is even done...............along with a CAI, tires, catch can, puddle lights, tinting, ceramic coating, green belt, etc.
no I didn't; I thought I was ordering the stock HC2s. The difference in these on a spreadsheet from HC stock hc2s is ONE word in a long line of the same words. DRAG vs PERF. We were building based on the 22 builder with a spreadsheet. I didn't think they'd swap the stock wheels for scat pack wheels, I didn't notice the one-word difference. Of course I feel incredibly stupid now though, I'd have just gotten the other wheels for 2k more if I'd known. it wasn't a money thing for choosing stock wheels, I just loved how they looked. I'd have added 2k for the shape and powder coated them black to look like HC2 stock roflol.

I didn't want aftermarket I was so happy with how the car looked. Now I am just. Honestly a bit sad and feel stupid.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The dodge customer support rep literally stonewalled me then hung up on me, refusing to let me speak with anyone to make a deal to get the wheels I want. They didn't support their dealerships with appropriate sales collateral and they are sticking the dealers with the cost to fix this. I'm honestly ready to back out of the deal. Dodge is such a bad company I am spending 80k dollars with them and they are telling me too bad you are stuck with it???? It's not even a huge cost to them to help make it right; it's not like I ordered scat wheels explicitly.

I'm so immensely disappointed in dodge.

All of this could have been avoided if Dodge had an ACTUAL order system in place for 2023!!!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
This was the page from the Last Call Announcement that was sent to dealers. It is a crappy scan but you can see what wheels they offered and it shows the WPJ Low Gloss Back split spoke as the base wheel.

View attachment 611606
This was not made available to me AT ALL. if it was, I would have gone with the Vapors in a heartbeat. The fact they are refusing to work with me to swap to the vapors now like I'm not asking for the world I just want a wheel trade. I hate the stocks. I think they're going to string me along until I accept the order and then say "too ******* bad."

Like it's honestly making me reconsider whether I even want a hellcat at all, because the company cares so little about how happy people are with their cars. I think it's perfectly reasonable to make a deal when I ordered the car and there was nothing like this above. Literally nothing. There was no indication to me that the wheels changed at all. Yes it was my mistake for not noticing a single word difference between what I was expecting and what was there in a long descriptive string. But would it kill them to just swap the wheels for me without charging full MSRP for every one of the new wheels.

Is this what I get to look forward to if I have an issue that needs warranty work?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yeah theyre not going to switch out the wheels for you. That's a dealer thing if anything. Sounds crazy but they fulfilled an order from the dealer. Every new vehicle I've purchased, the dealer has emphasized that no changes can be made once the order goes in. It's now on you and the dealer to work it out - or not...
The issue is they did not provide the dealer with any aids to sell when these cars came out. It's not like I'm changing my mind. I was shocked to see the first visual representation of the car I ordered.

I am so disappointed. All my excitement for owning a hellcat is dead due to how I was treated by them.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah I still can’t believe the 2023 build configurator isn’t up. That is nuts.
And they're telling you it's your fault for ordering the wrong wheels. Like I get that that is technically true but come on. I'm just asking you to work with me to make this a car I love again. If you just provided ANY visual indication I would have known INSTANTLY I had made a mistake and chosen the wheels I love. Now to walk that back is gonna cost me nearly 8k unless someone steps in and helps me out.

Dodge genuinely doesn't give a shit. I'm going to have to buy used rims for my brand new 80k car because they give so few shits about their customers lol. And why do they care? Whether I am happy or not they will make their money.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'm aware of why it happened. It won't change anything. Theyre just going to tell you that you should've waited until the info was released or some other reason, which is crap tbh. Ordering off of '22 info was obviously a gamble and not technically on them, they fulfilled the order of '23 base wheels (which no one knew about). I'm not blaming you for them not releasing the info in a timely manner but at the same time the order was placed without (somehow) confirming if the base wheels had changed. Understandably you and your dealer assumed/guessed when ordering, which is all you could've done with the info you had. Waiting would be the only way to really know which are the '23 base wheels. They def shouldnt allow order banks to open w/o all of the info out there.
In the end if you order a new car based off the previous MY, even if that's all there is to go on, it's on you. Not saying I agree with how this can happen but here we are. I'd be disappointed too. Wheels can make or break the whole look. I get it.
Great. An 80k dream car that became a nightmare. I used to be so ******* excited and happy. Now I have a car arriving within a week or so that isn't what I thought I ordered and a company that doesn't give a **** about helping me.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I wouldn't get too excited until the car shows up. The Ram trucks have been coming in with whatever wheels were available at the time of the build.
She's already in MA and will be at my dealer sometime in the month, probably within a couple weekends. She 100% has the drag wheels on her.

I know. Tbh I'd be more pissed at the dealer. He's in the business, you're not. He should know that w/o actual '23 pictures there's no way to be sure about changes and shouldve thrown that out there. But he's wasnt about to say anything and possibly lose a sale.
(Oh look I learned how to respond to multiple people at once lol!)
He is working to find me the rims I want, though, and has been so good about every step of the process. He got me the order at MSRP and I feel awful that I only found out last night the wheels were wrong. He doesn't care about lying to make a sale; that car will sell regardless of the fact I put scat wheels on it by accident due to them swapping standard wheels. Someone will buy it completely as I ordered it the same weekend I walk away from the deal if I did. Yeah he shoulda been able to tell me about that and avoid this. But just like I mistakenly ordered the wrong wheel, it's not like he intentionally withheld the information.

I was just hoping somebody would help me come to a reasonable compromise that wasn't "spend 8-10k to buy an OEM set from the factory. That option that woulda cost 1k? Yeah 10x that now." lol

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
If you get that it's "technically true" then why all the drama? I've been through the order process on a '23 and you have to select a wheel. You selected the wrong wheel. No need for all the hand wringing and temper tantrums. Phrases like "making me reconsider whether I even want a hellcat at all" and "All my excitement for owning a hellcat is dead" is not a good look for anyone. Walk away from the car and let a reasonable person buy it.
That was because of how customer service treated me, not the wheel. It makes me genuinely worry that if I have issues with the car they won't back it up or help me out.

And for everyone saying I saw the wheels, yes I did. I never denied I did. What I am saying is the difference between the description of the wheels I THOUGHT I was getting and the wheels I got was one word. Drag vs Perf. I didn't know it was different. If they would have had ANY visual representation at all I would have realized instantly they changed them and chosen the 5-spoke vapors; I wasn't expecting them to put scat pack wheels on a hellcat. Why would anyone think that vs seeing the same description as the 2022 builder you're working off of in the spreadsheet.

And yeah, I express when I feel upset. I guess it's the perk of being a woman and not having to repress every last emotion I ever feel. The car being delivered doesn't look like the car I have been dreaming about daily for about half a year now, and yes I am disappointed I won't have that straight off the lot. Dodge basically told me to **** myself, buy it or someone else will, instead of work out a fair deal. Yeah it made me wonder if this is really a company I want to spend this much money with, or if I'd rather skip owning the hellcat and build the tribute 71 hemicuda instead. Sue me.

I just hope the post helped somebody who had their heart set on the HC2 5 spokes swap their order to Vapors before their car gets built. Cuz as much sass as you wanna give me, I know I am gonna be far from the only person to have made this mistake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts