SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Where do you have your vehicle serviced?

• Dodge Dealership

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • Independent Business

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do everything myself

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • A combination of these

Votes: 12 24.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the past several weeks I've had to fill my tire every 3 to 4 days because it has been losing air. I take it into Dodge for an oil change and let them know what the problem is. Ok cool. Easy fix, so I think. They finish up and tell me everything is fine and no issues were found. Ummmmm wrong. So today I finally take it to America's Tire and tell them my issue. Low and behold they fix the issue. Guess what, there was a large screw plain as day in the tire. Not only that but they didn't charge me a penny. This leads me to believe that Dodge never even checked and lied to me. Pretty pissed. I'm questioning even going back. My question, should I just suck it up and continue going to the dealership, if anything for continuity? Has anyone else had issues with Dodge's service?

·
Tri-State Overlord
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,274 Posts
When it came to the exhaust on my hellcat i had a bad squeak, I tracked it down to exhaust after seeing some complaints on the forums and realizing it's based on throttle usage. I dropped it off and they didn't touch it for a day. Day 2 they call me in the afternoon with "Couldn't replicate issue sorry". I asked if they took it for a test drive and they said yes.

Checked the dash cam and all they did was park it for a day, second day they brought it inside. Popped the engine bay and turned the car on. Pulled it out and called me. Went back to them with the SD-card in hand in-case they asked for proof of their negligence. They immediately threw a tech in the car with me and verified my complaint the second we left the dealer lot and they ordered the exhaust.

I've just learned to hold the dealer fully accountable and never take their word if i think I'm even slightly in the right. Investigate and cover your ground.

Something like a screw in a tire should have been as easy as a patch and charge 10 bucks for the patch. No reason the dealer should miss that on a 60-70k car.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that's pretty lame on their part. Glad you resolved the issue. But that is exactly right. I told you the issue, now look at the tire and fix the problem. You patch it or replace the tire if it can't be patched. Seems pretty simple to me and I'm definitely a layman when it comes to vehicles, but I am learning.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
734 Posts
I never had any problems with the dealership.This is the 5th car I buy with my salesman and go to him if I feel something is not right.I called him last month and told him the wife was bring the Grand Cherokee in for a recall.When she got there he had another Grand Cherokee rental waiting for her with out me asking so she would not have to spend the whole morning waiting around.To me that is service.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,661 Posts
I never had any problems with the dealership.This is the 5th car I buy with my salesman and go to him if I feel something is not right.I called him last month and told him the wife was bring the Grand Cherokee in for a recall.When she got there he had another Grand Cherokee rental waiting for her with out me asking so she would not have to spend the whole morning waiting around.To me that is service.
That sounds a lot like my dealership in Statesboro, Ga. I adore them, especially my Tech, Josh!! Josh rocks!

April

·
Thread Killer
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,111 Posts
It has been my experience that many "could not duplicate concern" scenarios can be attributed to a breakdown in communication. The concern stated on the repair order is vague or simply does not match the actual concern.

Best scenario would be for you to actually demonstrate the concern to the tech that will be performing the repair. However, this may not always be possible or practical. If not, I would like to suggest that the next time your vehicle needs service, that you compose your own repair request (either written on paper or in an email) and ask the service advisor to print it out verbatim on the repair order (he/she can add their own comments before/after). You'll need to be as specific as possible relating to conditions under which the concern occurs (ambient/vehicle temp, weather conditions, vehicle speed/attitude, throttle/brake on/off). Include pictures/videos if necessary.
If you are aware of TSBs or other service publications that may address your concern, note them in your request (no need to waste paper. they can print them out if needed).
If intermittent, state frequency and duration of occurrence.
Also, please remember component location on a vehicle is from the driver's perspective (LF, RF, LR, RR).

Hope this helps make your next service visit a productive one.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,154 Posts
I have written many repair requests out in detail. handed it to them and they would read it.
Laugh maybe, but they got what i was trying to get across. Never had an item missed after starting to do that.

Maybe the tech writer has only check boxes to do and a very small comment area to offer to the person in the shop.
So an added description helps a lot.

If they don't get in on the first try, ask them what they read. and what they did not understand. If needed that is.
Years ago i ran a tire / repair shop with 8 techs and found that more info is never too much.

Matt

·
Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,033 Posts
I am darn lucky with the dealership I go to for anything, especially the HC. Milton CDJ in Milton, Florida...just outside Pensacola. From the Service Writers, to Mark, my tech, to Danial the Parts Manager, to Steve the overall boss, they have and continue to treat me and my vehicles as though they were their own...so much so that when I was not in the market I flipped my HC and bought one from them. Never done that before...was the easiest transaction I have ever had.

Unhappy with the Dealership? I'd find another...mine is nearly 40 miles away, but worth the drive every time!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
232 Posts
Wow that's pretty lame on their part. Glad you resolved the issue. But that is exactly right. I told you the issue, now look at the tire and fix the problem. You patch it or replace the tire if it can't be patched. Seems pretty simple to me and I'm definitely a layman when it comes to vehicles, but I am learning.
Heavy Metal I am sorry you had to deal with some moron at the dealership. The run flat tires can be patched depending on the location of the puncture within the tire.Some of the stealerships will tell you you need a tire automatically. I've been through this issue several times with BMW. Also what I did was to meet my SRT tech and asked him if he was qualified as a Viper tech. He was. This made me feel better. He and one other are the only ones who touch the Hellcats and Vipers only at my dealership. I bring my own fender covers.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
310 Posts
So the past several weeks I've had to fill my tire every 3 to 4 days because it has been losing air. I take it into Dodge for an oil change and let them know what the problem is. Ok cool. Easy fix, so I think. They finish up and tell me everything is fine and no issues were found. Ummmmm wrong. So today I finally take it to America's Tire and tell them my issue. Low and behold they fix the issue. Guess what, there was a large screw plain as day in the tire. Not only that but they didn't charge me a penny. This leads me to believe that Dodge never even checked and lied to me. Pretty pissed. I'm questioning even going back. My question, should I just suck it up and continue going to the dealership, if anything for continuity? Has anyone else had issues with Dodge's service?
I would switch dealerships

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9,004 Posts
Having a dealer and tech to trust is priceless. Finding one shouldn't be as hard as it is.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
119 Posts
Never have any problems with my dealer.
They give all HC owner a discount parts account number for my
use that includes parts over the counter and service department
installed parts that are not warranty. saved a lot on a rear end gear ratio
change and upgraded half shafts.

·
Thread Killer
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,111 Posts
Will any dealership let you stay with the HC when service is being performed?
Due to liability concerns, any repair shop would be reluctant to allow non-employees into the work area. If you feel the need to be in constant sight of your vehicle, look for a service facility where the waiting area has a window that overlooks the shop.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
549 Posts
Due to liability concerns, any repair shop would be reluctant to allow non-employees into the work area. If you feel the need to be in constant sight of your vehicle, look for a service facility where the waiting area has a window that overlooks the shop.
While I agree with the liability concerns allowing a customer in the shop, I think most shops will allow you to "visit" your car to inspect, or verify the work being done. Especially a Hellcat !
While having some warranty work done on my Durango, I asked to see where the problem was. ( an oil leak ) I wanted to know how bad it had leaked onto the undercarriage. The service writer agreed to allow me into the shop to inspect my vehicle to see where, and how much oil had leaked. I also asked they clean the undercarriage completely of all oil residue after the repair. Never hurts to ask.
I think most shops today have a clear view of the service bays.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
271 Posts
The bulk of Dodge dealerships are ill-equipped and do not have the maturity to handle the service levels required for vehicles at this price point.

With a single exception, every Dodge dealership in the 4 major metropolitan (and several smaller regions) I've lived in provides customer service as if you're dropping off a pair of socks to be washed, and are complaining about the hole in the toe. They then forget to wash them, and can't find the hole. Then toss your socks on the railing outside, where the wind hopefully won't blow them away. So many socks to deal with, yours is just another pair.

May serve them fine for all their sub $10k used vehicles and base models, but you play in a different ballgame of expectations when your sticker price passes the $50k mark.

Jeep's finding that out the hard way. Their retention of all those "conquest customers" who turned in their Cayenne, Range Rover and other luxury keys for a Jeep SRT are now in serious evacuation mode that those customers, who are used to Porsche, Land Rover, or other "higher levels" of service have to deal with their socks being treated poorly. 13k sold in 2014. 11k in 2015. Down to 4k in 2016. That's less than 2012s run. Yes, you have to take into account a shortened 2016 production run, but even at full tilt it still would have been less than 2015. And there's a glut of 2016s on dealer lots around here...

You think this guy's experience is the exception, or would you read that and think "hmm, that's happened to me or could very likely to happen to me".

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
141 Posts
I wouldn't over think this. Most, if not all, tire shops have a tank of water that they submerge a tire in to observe air bubbles for an air leak. Many dealers use a spray bottle to spray a soapy solution and look for a leak. Obviously a submersion is a better way to find a small/slow leak. Or the Dodge tech may have just missed it. If you have a bad vibe from the dealer, I would try another. If they seem not to care or look like the quality of work is substandard I would try another dealership.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts