Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
652 Posts
Lol it's about time but this doesn't really solve anything

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
867 Posts
So they're not only going to make this standard on new models, but anything down to 2015 can go to a dealer and have it flashed? That's awesome!

Now, how does this help me when they get into the car and just have to push the shifter into neutral...?

·
Registered
214 Posts
So they're not only going to make this standard on new models, but anything down to 2015 can go to a dealer and have it flashed? That's awesome!

Now, how does this help me when they get into the car and just have to push the shifter into neutral...?
It can still be stolen and stripped using a wrecker of course. This stops people that just want to steal it for a joy ride.

I would assume you jump in and fire up your car but before going you have to punch in your 4 digit code before driving off the same way you unlock your phone before using it.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
652 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
It can still be stolen and stripped using a wrecker of course. This stops people that just want to steal it for a joy ride.

I would assume you jump in and fire up your car but before going you have to punch in your 4 digit code before driving off the same way you unlock your phone before using it.
So I'll basically be like Jason Statham in transporter..?
Steal it for a joyride? I doubt half the kids in Baltimore City now how to use a clutch, let alone a McLeod...

Idk if my black suit fits anymore

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just curious if anyone that objects to entering a four digit code to start their car has a passcode on their phone?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Just curious if anyone that objects to entering a four digit code to start their car has a passcode on their phone?
I have fingerprint on phone, and it knows when I am in a designated area that doesn't make me do the fingerprint.

I understand their views of trying to thwart these cars from being stolen, but doing this sort of fix is the retail equivalent of Home Depot putting up "cameras" in front of the tool section that aren't real, and have a red LED powered by an AA battery to keep honest people honest.

Thieves are going to get what they want one way or another, as stated above, this does NOTHING to stop the car from actually being taken as they can still get inside and get my car into neutral, and most auto cars (granted they don't have the plate covering the neutral switch).

There are 3 types of thieves;
Opportunists - they steal when they think no one is watching and they can save a buck
Professionals - they steal because that's their bread and butter and they're really good at it
Petty fucks - they steal for the sake of a small momentary gain, such as a joy ride.

This fix will only mitigate the 2 lesser common types and the professionals will still have a simple work-around to get what they're after.

The best form of theft prevention is a garage with cameras, motion sensing flood lights and a high caliber handgun or shotgun with small spread 12ga.

·
Registered
2021 Charger RedEye
99 Posts
Many of you are missing the title of the article. Dodge is installing Security measure not a anti theft device! Sure we want more, but hopefully this is only the first step and we will see more once Stellantis takes over. I give them kudos for trying. As far as popping the care in neutral. Mostly all auto cars have a neutral pull switch to my knowledge. So this is not exclusive to Dodge, any car can get popped and rolled. I'm waiting on our guy TailHappy and install his custom neutral pull cover. I would rather have this installed vs having it pre-installed by Dodge and give thieves prior knowledge of this device. As you should, all know if a thief really wants your vehicle they will get it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,866 Posts
I think dodge is doing a great service here.
If your worried about a flat bed coming and stealing your car, you likely worry about asteroids hitting earth...... a flatbed can steal any car, what do you want dodge to do, fly a chopper around protecting its customers cars????
I have tons of extras on my car, if it was a DD and bone stock, I wouldn't care, insurance will cover it. I can paint a new one sublime or get it wrapped.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
909 Posts
Whether it works or not I applaud Dodge for recognizing the issue and trying something to deter thieves. Now if I can get them to buy my covers and give those out with the software update 😂😂
😂 😂

·
Registered
421 Posts
Law enforcement will probably use this to end high speed chases at some point. Most of the thefts that get caught on camera seem to be of them first gaining entry, getting the car into neutral, then pushing it up the road by hand or with another car. Then it gets towed from around the corner.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts