SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Does a SC make a blow off "swoosh" sound?

7151 8
So I'm more familiar with turbo charged cars than I am SC ones. Does a SC make that "swoosh" sound when you let off the throttle? Just wondering how the pressure is released. Thanks!
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
113 Posts
I would imagine the HC is fitted with a re-circulation valve that directs the excess air back to the intake when you let off the throttle. If it does have one I would also imagine that it could be swapped out for a blow off valve to instead vent to atmosphere giving you that swoosh you are looking for.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would imagine the HC is fitted with a re-circulation valve that directs the excess air back to the intake when you let off the throttle. If it does have one I would also imagine that it could be swapped out for a blow off valve to instead vent to atmosphere giving you that swoosh you are looking for.
Well I'm sure as time goes by once these cats have been out for awhile longer there will be little add on's to do. Not sure if I would want the "swoosh" or not. We get that whine which is AMAZING!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,428 Posts
Hellcat has a second throttle body (4 cylinder application) that is normally open and closes when throttle is applied (opposite what a normal throttle body does). When you let off it opens and recirculates air back into the supercharger intake.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
143 Posts
If you vented to atmosphere it would make that noise, however being a mass airflow car it would run really rich every time it popped off. Most OEM FI cars use a recirc system to prevent this. If you pull a bunch of air past the mass airflow sensor the ECU will add fuel for said air, then if said air is blown off to atmosphere you have a bunch of extra fuel in the equation. When you are dealing in the aftermarket and are running speed density tuning it is not really an issue.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info thanks guys!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
85 Posts
It does make an awesome wrap or bark, out the tailpipes when you let off, though....music to my old ears! LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.