SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I was wondering if your Redeye idles smoothly?
Also wondering if anyone has changed plugs and noticed any difference? I don't want to replace plugs just for fun!
While at idle, there is a bit of roughness that I can feel, almost like a misfire. Almost like a cam lope.Runs smoothly under acceleration. Not sure if it is just the HP nature of this engine or what. I have just over 12000 miles on it and drive it as hard as it will run, probably more than most on here. Not mistreating it, just getting all the performance it will generate. Seems like the performance has dropped off a bit, but maybe I am just getting used to it. Need to get it to the 1/4 mile dyno with good track prep to confirm.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,382 Posts
Hey gang, I was wondering if your Redeye idles smoothly?
Also wondering if anyone has changed plugs and noticed any difference? I don't want to replace plugs just for fun!
While at idle, there is a bit of roughness that I can feel, almost like a misfire. Almost like a cam lope.Runs smoothly under acceleration. Not sure if it is just the HP nature of this engine or what. I have just over 12000 miles on it and drive it as hard as it will run, probably more than most on here. Not mistreating it, just getting all the performance it will generate. Seems like the performance has dropped off a bit, but maybe I am just getting used to it. Need to get it to the 1/4 mile dyno with good track prep to confirm.
Thanks in advance.
Is the CEL on? No CEL no misfires no problem.

Assume you are fueling the car with the proper grade of gasoline and fresh gasoline -- buying from a busy station -- and have tried another brand to see if the engine is perhaps less sensitive to another brand of gasoline?

12K miles and "drive it as hard as it will run" could have the plugs in need of replacement.

12K miles might be a bit early to consider this but at 27.4K miles a "neglected" engine air filter was replaced -- IIRC the factory schedules these be replaced at 20K miles -- and my Hellcat perked up some. But I do not recall the idle behavior changing for better or worse. But throttle response was definitely better.

My Hellcat idled ok. With a supercharger it does not I believe have as wild a cam in it as does my Scat Pack. My Scat Pack has a bit of a "rough" idle to it. A bit of a (mild) lope and what sounds like an occasional cylinder misfire. But the engine has just 2K miles and was broken in by the book and I don't drive it that hard. Feed the engine 91 ethanol free gasoline. This is I take just normal given the "tune" the N/A engine needs to produce 485hp.

Likewise, my 2006 GTO engine had a bit of a rough idle. The 6.0l engine was "tuned" (by the factory) to produce 400hp.

Bottom line is these "big" N/A engines aren't going to idle Lexus smooth that's for sure.

You can have the engine listened to by a tech to get his opinion. Barring him saying oh yeah that's a bad "??????" throwing a set of factory plugs at the idle might be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I always run Tier 1 gas (Shell 93) but have run non-E 93. I try to run non-E 93 at the drag strip.
I'll try Ruthenium plugs when I change them, supposed to be better and last longer than Iridium. Both are <$8 a plug at RockAuto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts