SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Drag or Friction at about 90mph

1547 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  SRTFighter
I own a 2016 Charger Hellcat with roughly 9800 miles on it.. I went to an A&M game this weekend and on the way down ran up to 100mph on a few occasions.On the way home the next day however, when I would get up to about 90+ it felt like I was getting some kind of drag or friction. Once I slowed down and got back under 90mph it seems to go away. It doesn't seems like anything mechanical, no noises, not really any steering wheel vibration but all 4 people in the car could feel something. I didn't really hear any noise either. Im wondering if maybe something underneath is coming lose at high speed and creating the drag. It almost feels like the road gets rough or something... Any ideas ?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,650 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum from VA!

Don't think anyone else has reported a similar issue. Without any corresponding noises, that is a tough one to figure.

No armadillos or jack rabbits stuck anywhere they shouldn't be?

Brake drag? Sticky caliper? Rear end? Did you try changing modes?

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, welcome to the forum from VA!

Don't think anyone else has reported a similar issue. Without any corresponding noises, that is a tough one to figure.

No armadillos or jack rabbits stuck anywhere they shouldn't be?

Brake drag? Sticky caliper? Rear end? Did you try changing modes?
lol, I cant see anything when I peak underneath but my girlfriend works a auto repair shop so I plan on getting it up there hopefully this week or next.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol, I cant see anything when I peak underneath but my girlfriend works a auto repair shop so I plan on getting it up there hopefully this week or next.
I did try changing modes but it didn't make a difference. Im wondering rear end possibly but not sure. Its very consistent. I don't think its break related but I am going to try and disable the traction control and see if it makes any difference.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did try changing modes but it didn't make a difference. Im wondering rear end possibly but not sure. Its very consistent. I don't think its break related but I am going to try and disable the traction control and see if it makes any difference.
getting tires balanced now. Hopefully that resolves the issue....

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not being a total math geek, I would say yes. but this just started so im not sure where the additional wind resistance is coming from. Getting the tires balanced did not resolve it.
Taking it to the shop where my girlfriend works today. Going to put it on the lift and see if any road kill falls out, or if anything is loose.

· DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,254 Posts
I own a 2016 Charger Hellcat with roughly 9800 miles on it.. I went to an A&M game this weekend and on the way down ran up to 100mph on a few occasions.On the way home the next day however, when I would get up to about 90+ it felt like I was getting some kind of drag or friction. Once I slowed down and got back under 90mph it seems to go away. It doesn't seems like anything mechanical, no noises, not really any steering wheel vibration but all 4 people in the car could feel something. I didn't really hear any noise either. Im wondering if maybe something underneath is coming lose at high speed and creating the drag. It almost feels like the road gets rough or something... Any ideas ?
Which way was the wind blowing?

Given 4 people and a 4500lb car, that's putting you in the 5000lb range. With the weight and a head vs tail wind, you'll definitely feel drag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.