SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Drag rims and tires, 18 or 17, etc..

11147 Views 15 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Linda's Hell Cat
I am thinking about putting some either 18 or 17 inch Weld or HPP drag rims all the way around and running MT ET Street R's on the rear. I am planning on getting the shortened sway bar connectors for the rear. My questions are this. 18 or 17, any preference and why? Also, is there anyone running Welds Weld RTS S71B all the way around because I am concerned that they will not work for the front unless I go with skinny's. Has anyone ran skinny's on the car? If so, what differences or concerns did you experience. Thank you.
1 - 4 of 16 Posts
I am thinking about putting some either 18 or 17 inch Weld or HPP drag rims all the way around and running MT ET Street R's on the rear. I am planning on getting the shortened sway bar connectors for the rear. My questions are this. 18 or 17, any preference and why? Also, is there anyone running Welds Weld RTS S71B all the way around because I am concerned that they will not work for the front unless I go with skinny's. Has anyone ran skinny's on the car? If so, what differences or concerns did you experience. Thank you.
You are modded so I would stay with a 305/45R18 ET STREET R on a RTS 18X10 rim. It is 1" taller and will have a longer contact patch.

You need a 1/8" spacer with a high pad to run the weld rims on front. Lots of Guys are doing it and to confirm you can call weld.
For the front you can run a 20X7.5 with 3.8 or 4.3 backspace. If you do not want to sink the tires inward I would run the 3.8 PN 71HB0075W38A 4.3 71HB0075W43A I would be sure what tire you want to run before ordering.

For the back I would run a 18X10, 6.6 backspace (+28mm) 71HB8100W66A
Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Any suggestions on tires to go on the front?
On my Hellcat I ran a Continental Extreme DW 245/45R20 on an 20X8.5 rim. That was the lightest tire in that size that would match the original tire height. You could run that tire on an 8" rim that will save a little more weight 71HB0080W38A They only make an extreme contact sport now which is essentially the same tire I think.
On tire rack web site the specs are wrong. That tire is 28.7 tall and minimum rim width is 7.5 with a measuring rim of 8" Continental ExtremeContact Sport

For that 7.5" rim I would run any of these tires. Just look at the specs and choose the lightest tire you you like the price and look. It's slightly shorter at 28.4" but should not be an issue at all.

Tires in 235/45-20
So, I ended up going with the Welds as the HHP/Bogarts are not recommended for street use. However, MT has come out with a new ET Street R P325/35/R18. It offers a couple of advantages I see. Shorter tire, roll out is less, wider tread width, and its 5 lbs lighter.

Mickey Thompson 3581: ET Street R Radial Tire P325/35R18 | JEGS
Mickey Thompson 3580: ET Street R Radial Tire P305/45R18 | JEGS

I am curious if it will work on the 18X10? Any thoughts?
First of all I will not believe it weighs 25 pounds unless I scale it myself or the M/T web site says so. Right now some of the specs including the weight are TBA. I suspect it is going to be 32 to 34 pounds. I cannot see it being that light, but I guess it is possible.

Roll out is not a factor for the back tires. Yes it will gear you down so that will help a stock Hellcat. If you already have the 3.09's and mods, watch out........

Yes you can put it on a 10" rim because the M/T web site says so.

For a Weld Wheel it might not work because they have too much back spacing, typically +28mm to +30mm offset. Maybe run a set of 305's and then check your clearance and compare specs. Then get a set of 325's when the 305's need to be replaced.

The 305's are the "go to" tire for most of us and that will be the first set that go on my Demon. I am trying to get Mickey Thompson to make a 325/40R18. That tire would be perfect.

The 325's will lower the effective gear ratio which will be harder to hook and they have a lot less sidewall to wrap up store energy.

If you are willing to run spacers and willing to do the wheel tub mod and you have stock gears and no mods, the 325's will make you faster for sure. Just sayin.......
See less See more
I ended up ordering the 305's. I found some other threads discussing the 325's and the Hoosiers. The Hoosier's looked good, but I ran into the same issue of them fitting. The last mod I need to do is the 3.09's. After that, probably build the bottom end, heads work, bigger SC, etc.. However, that's a long way off. With the mild tune its at 900 rwhp. Once the aggressive tune and possibly a 125 shot are in, the power will be up there.
If you have that much power now you better be sure you can hook before adding the 3.09's. Otherwise they will just make it worse.
1 - 4 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.