SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Hellraisen SS
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
If your spinning at 1000 I'd recommend you take some pressure out of the rear tire or a change to a different tire for your track. My guess your on the stock Nitto. I believe you can take those down to 18 psi for the track maybe even lower. Most everyone likes the MT ET Street Rs as you mentioned above but on my Redeye I ran a PB of 6.833 at 104.7 w/ Hoosier DBRs 28x10.5 on a 17" Forgestar Beadlock. Previously I was on the 305 MT Rs w/ a 18" factory Demon wheel but the tire slipped on the rim and they threw a lot of rubber and glue most likely from me doing too long a burnout. Once the glue in the tire heats up they really pickup and throw the rocks in the pits etc. Hoosiers are not nearly as bad. FYI - after spending all that $ on tires and wheels and more tires and wheels, I wish I had of just gone w/ the 15" conversion and been done w/ it. That's most likely where I am going to end up...the only bright spot is that is was fun getting there...second what HR5120 says about being fun!
love the hoosiers. yes beadlocks in the future. right now I'm spending most of my $ at the pump lol

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,764 Posts
@Chris jimenez how are you doing your Burnout.?

MT ETrs do not like to be overheated. If you do they will turn into a slick. Slicks are not what you want for for your Hellcat.
18s the psi can go lower. I start out at about 17 psi on my mine.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,764 Posts
@SickToo The Best I can say is My husband @Top Cat while we were at the track was figuring this out. But I also know he read for information the Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators

Lot's of guys went to the 17's They also usually have more mods to go faster.
I continue to stay with the 18's and I also have 309 Gears.
My husband @Top Cat figured the 18's and the 309 Gears were a good combo.
He liked starting out the tire PSI at 17. More tire patch.
Our cars have a lot of Torque and getting the Power to the ground is something that takes Finesse to Launch.
It's nice to have some of the after market parts now that can be bought for our cars these days.
For instance, I like having the HHP Drag Springs for transferring the weight.
I like to race and Daily Drive my Hellcat. I also have changed somethings in the more recent years, because the Parts are specifically made for our Cars. There are more plentiful for either Performance and Racing

Linda :)

·
Registered
2022 Super Stock
61 Posts
@SickToo The Best I can say is My husband @Top Cat while we were at the track was figuring this out. But I also know he read for information the Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators

Lot's of guys went to the 17's They also usually have more mods to go faster.
I continue to stay with the 18's and I also have 309 Gears.
My husband @Top Cat figured the 18's and the 309 Gears were a good combo.
He liked starting out the tire PSI at 17. More tire patch.
Our cars have a lot of Torque and getting the Power to the ground is something that takes Finesse to Launch.
It's nice to have some of the after market parts now that can be bought for our cars these days.
For instance, I like having the HHP Drag Springs for transferring the weight.
I like to race and Daily Drive my Hellcat. I also have changed somethings in the more recent years, because the Parts are specifically made for our Cars. There are more plentiful for either Performance and Racing

Linda :)
Hi Linda can you give us some of the logic and parameters (ex. how he used the 60', mid track, and trap ETs and MPH numbers) our husband used and maybe the Wallace Racing Calculator(s) that helped him arrive at his conclusion? The HP had to have a considerable impact and I'm wondering where the breakpoints are to go from 18 to 17 to 15 might be. This trial and error method gets expensive unless you have friends that can loan their tire/wheel combo for a few passes. Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Super Stock
61 Posts
I had fuel cut issues at the track with less than a half tank. So did my buddy with his 19. So i'd be less concerned about saving weight and keep that car more than 1/2 tank at least.
Hi Vet Rider....I think this is the first time I have heard of the problem happening with a half tank. Just curious at what part of the track did it happen and did you datalog back when you had the Hellcat? I've never owned a Hellcat but interested in fuel delivery system. A motor going lean is the best way I know of to have to replace it!!! Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Super Stock
61 Posts
Chris--Go on YouTube and look for Kevin Herr under Herr Jugs Racing. I believe these are the same exact tires and size he is using on his SS. He has vid of his install to confirm (what I hate about...). He's hooking good now or at least way better, the car still has more in it as a stock setup and running mid 6's??? His last vid shows time slips as does the others where he is at the track. His vids will normally be good for a laugh as a bonus (watch the opening to his last one). His story line is just like us...new Super Stock and learning how to make go w/o big mods...he goes thru using launch control, line lock, etc. and has good viewer comments based on their experience. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
256 Posts
I can tell you that the Hoosier non DOT "Drag Bracket Radial" is a very impressive tire. I have them in the 28x10.5-17 and have been 1.402 60' with my '21 SS.
I can't speak to the DOT tire you referenced but I am certain it will be a good bit better than the stock Nitto.

·
Registered
2022 Hellraisen SS
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Chris--Go on YouTube and look for Kevin Herr under Herr Jugs Racing. I believe these are the same exact tires and size he is using on his SS. He has vid of his install to confirm (what I hate about...). He's hooking good now or at least way better, the car still has more in it as a stock setup and running mid 6's??? His last vid shows time slips as does the others where he is at the track. His vids will normally be good for a laugh as a bonus (watch the opening to his last one). His story line is just like us...new Super Stock and learning how to make go w/o big mods...he goes thru using launch control, line lock, etc. and has good viewer comments based on their experience. Hope that helps.
Yes I’ve seen them didn’t know he was using these tires . Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Super Stock
61 Posts
Yes I’ve seen them didn’t know he was using these tires . Thanks
hey Chris...I second what TNRedeye says...that's the tire and size I ran a PB with. Note that we have 17" wheels. And since I drive to the track, I change my rears to the DBRs to race and back to stock to get home. It's a pain but worth it, you have got to have a tire at the track if you are serious about racing. So I went back and checked the vids "Dodge Super Stock Drifting, Drag, and Tires" time 11:26 and the tire you show seems to be the one Kevin has used. But he called it a Hoosier Dot Radial although I think there is another vid where he says they are Hoosier DOT Drag Radial. Also note that in the vid Kevin says it was the only tire he could find and that the tire is not street legal so if that is a consideration you better check a little closer. I was thinking that MT made the only street legal track capable drag radial. Lot of drag radials but few that actually hook at the drag strip. Kevin also added a note in the vid that the tire is squirrely on the street. He's from San Diego and I don't think it rains much out there so that could be an issue if you are going to daily drive the tire. Good luck making a selection and let us know

·
Registered
2022 Super Stock
61 Posts
I can tell you that the Hoosier non DOT "Drag Bracket Radial" is a very impressive tire. I have them in the 28x10.5-17 and have been 1.402 60' with my '21 SS.
I can't speak to the DOT tire you referenced but I am certain it will be a good bit better than the stock Nitto.
Nice 60' TNRedeye...gives me a target for this fall if I can get enough miles on the SS to get it to the track!!! LOL...Can't remember...are you pullied?

·
Registered
2022 Super Stock
61 Posts
I have never ran nitto at the track but a guy lined up next to me w some 05r’s last night. 315/40/18 on a scat. His sixty was 1.77
Hi Sick Too So I'm thinking that a 1.77 60' is good for a normally asperated 394??? It's interesting to note that he had the identical tire and size as is on factory Demons and Super Stocks (might also be on the Jailbreak). Did he have the wheel also? You can't buy that size from Nitto or at least they are not on their web site and when I called them they told me to use the 555RIIs. The Parts Mgr at the dealer tells me he can't get them either. He says his suppliers are out of stock. Didn't even find any on Ebay. So your competitor must have gotten them from someone who owned one of these models that changed them out for something else. He was lucky to get them. I only have 700 miles on my SS and in my opinion up to 500HP the Nitto NT05R are a great tire, quiet, and probably as good as the MT ET Street SS and the ET Street Rs on the street (pick up too much gravel etc). I've only had mine loose traction once (trying to conserve since getting a replacement might be a issue) when I had to goose-it pulling out into traffic, it got a little sideways in a 4-wheel drift. In a straight line rolling acceleration (in 500 HP) I can feel the tire slip just ever so slightly then bite, the car reaps forward and takes off. Never experience that before but never been on a true wrinkley slick and way better than the 305/35-20 Pirelli's on the Redeye. At 800HP they can't handle the job at the track let alone the street w/ one exception; apparently a track that is prepared my Mass Traction (I think that their name...a professional group that goes around preping tracks for big events) can do the job. These tires are known to break differential housing if you have the power. That's why I have a the Drag Pack from my previous Redeye for the SS at the track. I wouldn't get on the track in a SS or Redeye w/ this tire unless I cut the HP to 500 and did some testing to ease into a full launch.

·
Registered
2022 Hellraisen SS
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Wow awesome thanks !

·
Registered
2022 Hellraisen SS
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hi Sick Too So I'm thinking that a 1.77 60' is good for a normally asperated 394??? It's interesting to note that he had the identical tire and size as is on factory Demons and Super Stocks (might also be on the Jailbreak). Did he have the wheel also? You can't buy that size from Nitto or at least they are not on their web site and when I called them they told me to use the 555RIIs. The Parts Mgr at the dealer tells me he can't get them either. He says his suppliers are out of stock. Didn't even find any on Ebay. So your competitor must have gotten them from someone who owned one of these models that changed them out for something else. He was lucky to get them. I only have 700 miles on my SS and in my opinion up to 500HP the Nitto NT05R are a great tire, quiet, and probably as good as the MT ET Street SS and the ET Street Rs on the street (pick up too much gravel etc). I've only had mine loose traction once (trying to conserve since getting a replacement might be a issue) when I had to goose-it pulling out into traffic, it got a little sideways in a 4-wheel drift. In a straight line rolling acceleration (in 500 HP) I can feel the tire slip just ever so slightly then bite, the car reaps forward and takes off. Never experience that before but never been on a true wrinkley slick and way better than the 305/35-20 Pirelli's on the Redeye. At 800HP they can't handle the job at the track let alone the street w/ one exception; apparently a track that is prepared my Mass Traction (I think that their name...a professional group that goes around preping tracks for big events) can do the job. These tires are known to break differential housing if you have the power. That's why I have a the Drag Pack from my previous Redeye for the SS at the track. I wouldn't get on the track in a SS or Redeye w/ this tire unless I cut the HP to 500 and did some testing to ease into a full launch.

your saying the holding will break the diff if they bite? Or you referring to a different tire ? I have a diff brace

·
Registered
851 Posts
could have been a 1320?

41 - 60 of 109 Posts