SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight my 19WB fell on her face & into limp mode. At around 320 miles the CEL, ESC & Elec Throttle Body lights flashed with code P2172. I had a tad over 3/4 tank of gas, since I am still in the break in mode, I wasn't hammering on her. While in limp mode & at a stop she surged so bad that the seat belt locked on me. My 15HC had went into limp mode for a damp wheel sensor once & it wasn't anything like this limp mode. I think the Flintstone's car could've beat me tonight. It also slurped down over 1/4 tank of gas to go about 25 miles. Here's what worries me, my husband swears his 19 skinny body HC runs a lot better than mine, his has 500 miles on it. He also thought he saw smoke coming out of my exhaust after slightly getting on it. Oh, the darn headaches. Hope the dealer doesn't just flash it & try to send me on my way. They put the 15HC I traded in, in their show room as soon as I bought my WB. If the service dept keeps it for a while I wonder what my chances are of getting my old HC for a loaner! I just want my car to run normal again! 馃槶

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Discussion Starter #2
Tonight my 19WB fell on her face & into limp mode. At around 320 miles the CEL, ESC & Elec Throttle Body lights flashed with code P2172. I had a tad over 3/4 tank of gas, since I am still in the break in mode, I wasn't hammering on her. While in limp mode & at a stop she surged so bad that the seat belt locked on me. My 15HC had went into limp mode for a damp wheel sensor once & it wasn't anything like this limp mode. I think the Flintstone's car could've beat me tonight. It also slurped down over 1/4 tank of gas to go about 25 miles. Here's what worries me, my husband swears his 19 skinny body HC runs a lot better than mine, his has 500 miles on it. He also thought he saw smoke coming out of my exhaust after slightly getting on it. Oh, the darn headaches. Hope the dealer doesn't just flash it & try to send me on my way. They put the 15HC I traded in, in their show room as soon as I bought my WB. If the service dept keeps it for a while I wonder what my chances are of getting my old HC for a loaner! I just want my car to run normal again! 馃槶
Just received several late emails from Dodge about my VHR, states the issues are MIL & the Electronic Throttle Control. When I log into Mopar & try to look at my VHR it says there was an error loading the data.

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Usually with this code all you have to do is pull over and shut the car off then restart it and it should be fine . If it doesn't clear or continues to happen you may have a defective throttle body. I wouldn't worry too much about it . It should be covered under warranty and it's an easy fix .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled over initially, looked thru the info it was throwing & shut the car off for a while, no difference. Then down the road I pulled over a couple more times so I wouldn't be a jerk to the traffic behind me (that sure was a different feeling in a Hellcat, the holding up traffic part) & I shut the car off for several more minutes too. Still the same. But yes, under full warranty.

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
I pulled over initially, looked thru the info it was throwing & shut the car off for a while, no difference. Then down the road I pulled over a couple more times so I wouldn't be a jerk to the traffic behind me (that sure was a different feeling in a Hellcat, the holding up traffic part) & I shut the car off for several more minutes too. Still the same. But yes, under full warranty.
My guess is you have a defective throttle body. I've been down this road before . If you have access to another throttle body it's a 5 min swap over to test . Or just take to the dealer . Either way please keep us posted on the out come .
Don't get discouraged defective electronics happen from time to time . I'm sure once it's fixed it be better then ever .

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Discussion Starter #6
My guess is you have a defective throttle body. I've been down this road before . If you have access to another throttle body it's a 5 min swap over to test . Or just take to the dealer . Either way please keep us posted on the out come .
Don't get discouraged defective electronics happen from time to time . I'm sure once it's fixed it be better then ever .

[/QUOT
Thanks hpindy, dropped it off at the svc dept today. The dealership recently underwent new ownership, they had a radio station there, grilling hotdogs, burgers & balloons everywhere, & all eyes on my WB when I pull in! Yeh, good reason for them to have Enterprise car rental waiting for me with a Jeep! I feel good about where it's at. But my hubs is rubbing it in hard, he said his cat is lonely in the garage & I could sit in his HC & make engine noises if it'd make me feel better. Heck, I'll take his skinny cat for a run, maybe that'll make me feel better, probably not! Once again, thanks for the pick-me-up.

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Potential causes of the P2172 throttle engine code may include:
  • Vacuum Leaks (most likely)
  • Manifold Absolute Pressure Malfunction
  • Abnormal System Voltages

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to update everyone, I brought my WB home from the svc dept Mon. The lights had went off but the code was still stored, they check everything out, test drove it, flashed it & I drove it home. Today they called, Dodge wants to put in a new PCM. They said this may also be the reason for the lack of power. This is killing me, the car has less than 400 miles on it, hasn't even made it to it's 1st oil change.

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Just wanted to update everyone, I brought my WB home from the svc dept Mon. The lights had went off but the code was still stored, they check everything out, test drove it, flashed it & I drove it home. Today they called, Dodge wants to put in a new PCM. They said this may also be the reason for the lack of power. This is killing me, the car has less than 400 miles on it, hasn't even made it to it's 1st oil change.
Wow interesting . Thanks for the update

HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thanks for update. Keep a log of everything going on in case you have consistent issues. Make Dodge buy it back if so.

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
It is a new car. Unfortunately in some cases a new car, a part in/on a new car, can act up, fail, and well, that affects the car. You have a new car warranty. This is exactly what it is for.

If Dodge wants to change the PCM that's what you should let happen. After all, Dodge designed and built the car and should know best what to do or at least try in order to address the issue. While a throttle is easier to replace and less costly than a PCM if the problem is suspected to be with the PCM... that's what should be replaced.

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Discussion Starter #13
Bad, bad, bad day for me to own my Dodge, the Corvette probably felt like an inflated champ tho! Sure enough, this evening while cruising at 59mph my HC fell on her face again, MIL, P2172, the whole enchilada again, not the worse limp mode, was able to get up to 50ish mph. As I was a few blocks from the house a darn Corvette pulled up next to me at the stop light, I was praying I could just get my HC home. The Corvette really thought it put on a show. I was focused on trying to get home & all I could think was this was a sad day to own my HC! I'm trying to love this HC as much as my last HC, but dangit this car has left me screwed more than once. What's ironic is, as I parked her in the garage the mileage was at 717, just like the hp it's supposed to have! Last wk the svc dept finally called & said the PCM was in, I was in the VA hosp in the middle of Chicago, I was on a lot of morphine so no way could I sched anything at that time. So 1st thing in the morn I'm calling them. I would like to speak to the mechanic face to face & hear from him that the PCM WILL RESOLVE this issue. Sorry for the life story, but I'm peed off & bummed out! DODGE PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS, I didn't buy a Yugo to go a top speed of 50MPH!!!

Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat

Fnkychkn's post gives the details on the code problem

Linda :)

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Discussion Starter #16
What Dealer is doing the work? You're out in my neck of the woods.
I live in Southern Indiana, the VA sent me to the Jesse Brown VA Medical Ctr for surgery, we took my husbands HC on that trip, mine would've probably left us sitting on the side of the road! The dealer is a Jerry Ray Davis in Owensboro, KY, used to be Steve Jones Dodge.

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Discussion Starter #17
PISSED OFF UPDATE!!! Sat in the dealerships sunken in chair in what you may call a lounge from 2pm til close! They replaced the PCM & did an oil change. When I left the dealership the CEL & a NEW & DIFFERENT code came on, P057B. I immediately pulled over & called the svc dept, he called back & told me that I could still drive with that code on & they would call me Monday when their other SRT cert mechanic was in. He actually ask me if I drove with 2 feet, NOPE, just 1 foot, I don't ride my brakes or slam them on, but right now my flinstone feet look like they're going to have to peddle this darn car if it keeps this up! It only had 754 miles on it when this code came on. To top it off my husband text me while I was at the dealer & ask me if my HC that was made on a Friday was fixed yet & his HC was running great! I am at my whits end & my patience is running out! I bet I've put close to 200 miles on my car running to the service dept.

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Beast707, makes sense in a very logical pattern. I am really debating on pushing for a replacement or going the lemon law route. I have ask over & over if they checked the throttle body, connectors etc, they reassured me they did. I absolutely will not touch a thing on it myself since it's under warranty. The svc guy told me that after the 1st time I brought it in the tech followed protocol, troubles shot it, flashed it & still couldn't figure it out. I forgot the name he called it, but apparently Chrysler has a database the svc tech enters the issue they are having problems with & Chrysler gets back with them with a solution. Apparently my issue was supposed to be a bad PCM. But after yest I am not believing that. I bought the car on 4-4-20 & I haven't been able to enjoy it, drive it trouble free or without a worry of "when" will it go into limp mode, codes flash etc... I have the svc dept on speed dial, literally! I've put 1/4 of it's miles driving to the dealer & the svc tech has prob put another 100 on it from test drives. Not too mention the monthly pmts I continue to make for a big ole, unreliable green blob to sit in my garage. It's so unreliable, that I can't trust it. This is my 2nd HC, 3rd if you count my husbands HC, I am a die hard HC owner, but this car has been nothing but problems. Sorry for venting, but this is getting old & tiresome.

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
You should explore the lemon law route for your state. If the car qualifies and you have the paperwork to make the case I'd file the case. It doesn't read like the dealer is going to be able to fix this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts