SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Well it has been a long few months since I sent my driveshaft off to DSS. Has anyone else had issues with the 2015 and the DSS gen that was one CV? The issue was the bolts worked themselves loose and they were loctite and torqued but still managed to come loose.

I caught the vibrations and what not before it came loose. Sent it off and DSS has had it since January and keep giving me there balancer is broke etc.

Then I see this notice on there website which was not there before.

* * PLEASE NOTE: THIS DRIVESHAFT MUST BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A SUBFRAME LOCKOUT BUSHING REPLACEMENT KIT

The rear differential/subframe on the 2015+ Dodge Charger and Challenger is prone to excessive movement during launch that can cause irreparable damage to the 1-piece driveshaft, and also possible damage to the underside of the vehicle and/or other components. Failures related to excessive subframe movement may not be covered under warranty.
At this point I am getting frustrated with DSS because of them delaying and what not but I am thinking there is a major problem and they just can't fix it..

Any thoughts you guys have on this?

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
125 Posts
Hey Guys,

Well it has been a long few months since I sent my driveshaft off to DSS. Has anyone else had issues with the 2015 and the DSS gen that was one CV? The issue was the bolts worked themselves loose and they were loctite and torqued but still managed to come loose.

I caught the vibrations and what not before it came loose. Sent it off and DSS has had it since January and keep giving me there balancer is broke etc.

Then I see this notice on there website which was not there before.

At this point I am getting frustrated with DSS because of them delaying and what not but I am thinking there is a major problem and they just can't fix it..

Any thoughts you guys have on this?
I bought mine last year, its been revised since the first driveshaft they built for the hellcat, I didn't use Loctite and haven't had any issues. Its been over 5k miles and 20 1/4 mile passes. The driveshaft did take 9 weeks to build and ship though.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,240 Posts
The Driveshaft Shop is an excellent choice.
I have a DSS Driveshaft and 1400 halfshafts installed on my Hellcat.
I do know for any mods that might feel the vibs from racing down the track you have to check all parts to ensure your safety !
Do you have other problems?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update!

I have received it back and installed in the car for about a week. I have not seen anymore slinging grease and I have marked all the bolts this time to confirm if any movement.

After reading the instructions and reinstalling the shaft I am pretty sure where the previous shop went wrong. The instructions state torque is 8mm = xx ftlbs of torque.I am assuming they went by the size of the hex not the actual bolt.

This could be very easily mistaken and meaning the bolts where at 28 ftlbs and 57ftlbs.

Thank you guys they did send it back without any charges I think due to the huge inconvenience. I never had issues with them on my IS300 just started becoming concerning.

Now onto the supercharger of hell....

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Ivory White Hellcat
100 Posts
Did you lock the cradle? I just got a aluminum DSS for my M6 and am trying to figure out if the cradle lockout is required?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the cradle and the brace. The brace is required for warranty. It's crazy you asked I just now put it on lift to check all bolts and everything is fine. No more slinging and stuff.

Make note of torques I know what someone did previously they list them m8=xxftlbs make sure your not going by socket size but actual bolt size.

Been on the car 4 months with no issues now.

The cradle is not as hard to install as they make it dropping whole rear I didn't I lowered enough to slip them in on a lift took less than 2 hours to install.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Ivory White Hellcat
100 Posts
I’m going to do an AAD drag pack, cradle lock, and driveshaft all at the same time here soon. Probably will mark all bolts to ensure no movement. Already have the brace on it.

Reactions: 2fast4u
1 - 9 of 9 Posts