SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Driving 100 Miles in an EV Is Now More Expensive Than in an ICE -article

3K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  Vettesweetnos 
#1 ·

"Combustion drivers pay about $11.29 per 100 miles on the road. EV drivers who charge up at home spend about $11.60 per 100 miles. The price difference is more dramatic for those who mainly recharge at stations. Frequent charging station users pay $14.40 per 100 miles."

Imagine that...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I am pro ICE but I think they are wrong from collogues who have Modal 3's and Lightnings.

The one guy who bought both he estimates it is about 25 bucks a month for both. He switches between them and his commute is about 50 miles round trip.
I think the article is flawed.

Reactions: moparjim
#12 · (Edited)
Wow! So you can save a whole $20-$60 a month when driving a luxury EV over a luxury ICE vehicle? And then have to deal with the stresses of figuring out where to charge it or how far you can drive before needing to get to that charger so you can sit and wait for a charge? And if you go the mid size car route...... You're spending more to drive the EV, along with the unnecessary stresses? And that's only while gas prices are higher, which will eventually come back down. No thanks.

#13 · (Edited)
You can make stats up to support anything you want. Here's a fact -

Since we bought our M3P we have paid $432 (as of today) to charge our car. The car has 9,688 miles on it. Easy math shows that is $4.50 per 100 miles. This is with the performance version of the car running 20 inch wheels that is driven like a performance car. In other words it is the least efficient version of the car you can buy. MOST EV drivers are WAY more conservative than we are with their car on how they drive it. So we are the outlier on the HIGH side.

Now, if you have solar panels (growing trend in the US) then your cost go even further down.

- Edit - After reading the article it's even worse than I thought. Not once did they advise on what cars they were using in their test. Tell me one reputable "study" that doesn't advise one a critical piece of info like that. Sure, take the absolute worse EV and compare it to the absolute best ICE and maybe things get close. But look at average vs average and it's not even close. Another one that I have to LOL about is they equated nearly 25% of the cost to charge an EV as the "cost of the chargers". This study was done in 2021. Charges for ALL EV's were FREE. Let me say it again. Cost of all EV chargers was FREE to the buyer of the car. Tesla was the first to remove the free charger in 2022 and if you want to buy one it's $200 bucks (one time fee). Just a couple of easy to spot issues with this so called study.

I'm not going to argue the pro's and cons of EV's with a bunch of gas lovers (I'm one of them) but just be careful what trash you read. Yahoo seems to be one of the worst sources for info these days which is saying something with the current state of our media....

#14 ·
Yea something doesn't add up with their study. Average cost of electricity in MI is $0.19 per kwh. Someone needs to explain how 61 kwh is needed to go 100 miles. A Model 3 batteries range from 52 to 82 kwh with 300 miles of range.

I know recharging isn't 1 to 1 in terms of power input, but it isn't that inefficient. There's probably a calculator online to figure this out.

This post has been deleted
#33 ·
Oh the EV conversations 🙃. I own them and have sold them and still own some. I have done many videos on my YouTube channel talking about all the REALITIES good and bad of the EV vehicles. My BIGGEST question I have for anyone who thinks of buying an EV is: Did you buy an EV to save money on buying GAS? My thoughts are many buy them for this reason. And or did they buy it to save Mother Earth. I think most buy them to save on gas which if you charge the vehicle at home then you will save money over an ICE vehicle. But if you charge it away from home than no you will pay as much as an ICE vehicle or possibly more. The KW talk is the conversation in EV and it’s typically 2-4 Miles per KW used depending on what vehicle you own and how it’s driven. A simple math example would be you go 100 miles at say 2 miles per KW. You would use 50KW and to recharge that at a Charging Station that charges .40 cents a KW that’s $20. And or if you charge it home and you pay .11 cents a KW for say your home electricity than that’s $5.50 But it takes time and on road trips it can be challenging as well. The EV trend is growing and won’t stop and in the end 10 years from now the idea a EV is less expensive to own will not be the conversations anymore since the Electrical Grid Systems are having to be built out to sustain the growth which costs Billions of dollars which in turn your electric bill will reflect this much bigger than most realize. And the Charging Station companies will have but no choice as the infrastructure grows but to charge much more like $1 a KW to recharge your vehicle. A lot of variables lies ahead but the DRIVEN PITCH for so many to buy an EV is you don’t buy GASOLINE anymore!!!!

Here is one of many of my EV videos and this is my F150 Lightning towing getting .9 Miles per KW going less than 100 miles per Charge I finally had to unhook and use my DIESEL truck to get home.

News Font Publication Photo caption Movie

#38 ·
The cost per 100 miles to drive will be dependent upon many things in the future most of the perceived savings are out of our control anyway.

In Michigan they charge 28.6 cent a gallon in gas tax and the Feds get 18.4 cents (some state more/less). So when they are no longer collecting said taxes on gas they will look to getting it from electric usage. So essentially everything we use electric for will become more expensive. I’ve heard all kinds of crazy ways Michigan is trying to raise money that IMO isn’t needed if we would stop funding 💩 programs and giving it away.

Your EV flagship statistics will usually be on a compact most of us don’t want to drive so when I here I can drive all month on $100 is funny to me, I use to get gas for 1/2 what I’m paying now….just wait. EVs aren’t going to be cheaper, safer, easier, better for US economy or Jobs trust me your law makers will see to that. The Environment claim EVs are soooo much better 😂

#42 ·
The cost per 100 miles to drive will be dependent upon many things in the future most of the perceived savings are out of our control anyway.

In Michigan they charge 28.6 cent a gallon in gas tax and the Feds get 18.4 cents (some state more/less). So when they are no longer collecting said taxes on gas they will look to getting it from electric usage. So essentially everything we use electric for will become more expensive. I’ve heard all kinds of crazy ways Michigan is trying to raise money that IMO isn’t needed if we would stop funding 💩 programs and giving it away.

Your EV flagship statistics will usually be on a compact most of us don’t want to drive so when I here I can drive all month on $100 is funny to me, I use to get gas for 1/2 what I’m paying now….just wait. EVs aren’t going to be cheaper, safer, easier, better for US economy or Jobs trust me your law makers will see to that. The Environment claim EVs are soooo much better 😂
Yup....they're setting us up to be reliant on electricity (now your car) and then it'll just continue to go up and you're stuck paying it.

Case in point, DTE just sent out something in the mail about a month ago saying that a Michigan regulation or something passed & starting in March that "due to our change in electricity needs..." they're switching to a peak & off peak rate. And, of course, it's higher in the summer months during 3-7pm @ .24 cents a KWh or something.
Versus .14 cents for other times. Winter peak hours were only like .2 cents higher.

I forget exactly, but it was definitely something they just mailed out.

#39 ·
Here is an article by Car and Driver that actually tells you where they got the figures for their math. As you can see, the analysis swings towards substantial savings as long as the tax credits remain in place. Otherwise, it's a close wash.

#40 ·
This "Study" was done in an ATTEMPT to make electric cars look bad. Granted, they did attempt to include more of the true costs associated with electric cars (more than "just" the electricity to charge), but their numbers are still significantly off. From the study linked:

"Anderson Economic Group calculates all four categories of costs for fueling EVs and ICE vehicles across benchmarks representing real-world U.S. driving conditions, including: 1. The cost of underlying energy (gas, diesel, electric) 2. State excise taxes charged for road maintenance 3. The cost to operate a pump or charger 4. The cost to drive to a fueling station (deadhead miles) All use cases reflect 12,000 miles/year, with the cost of residential charging equipment amortized over five years. Calculations are based on energy prices and taxes in the state of Michigan. Benchmarks for ICE vehicle drivers assume the use of commercial gas stations. For EV drivers, we consider both drivers who routinely charge at home and those who rely primarily on commercial chargers."

Their chart shows approx. $6.00 in electricity to charge at home, for a 100 mile drive. This is significantly higher than (2x) the numbers that the US Dept. of Energy supplies:

"The fuel efficiency of an EV may be measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) per 100 miles. To calculate the cost per mile of an EV, the cost of electricity (in dollars per kWh) and the efficiency of the vehicle (how much electricity is used to travel 100 miles) must be known. If electricity costs ¢10.7 per kWh and the vehicle consumes 27 kWh to travel 100 miles, the cost per mile is about $0.03."

Now the national average of electricity is more like 12.1 cents/kWh, and the numbers for Michigan (where the "Study" was conducted) are more like 16.1, so that would close some of the gap, but definitely won't account for all of it. Also, they mixed in an unspecified amount for cost of installing a home charger, which is misleading at best. For somebody travelling ~50 miles per day, you can charge your car from a standard outlet overnight in most cases. If you HAVE to have a fast charger, then yes, you will have the cost of getting one installed, but that may service more than one car and will probably last more than 5 years...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.