SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
'21 C8 2LT || Former 2020 Hellcat
2,754 Posts
People pick on the hellcats on the street because they know they can’t beat them on the track and that these break traction instantly on the street
I owned a Hellcat for a long time. I wouldn't say I'm "picking" on it. I just know what the C8 can do and what my Hellcat could do... and as I said earlier, in 5 passes, I guarantee the C8 wins at least 3 of them, so long as we're talking stock for stock. If someone lets me put DRs on the C8, I'll win all 5.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
549 Posts
Agree with both of you here as this goes to show the ZL1 is the better engineered car vs the C7 Z06. I was looking at the C7 Z06 but it has quite a few flaws that I don't think I'd want to deal with. Yes it is the faster car than the ZL1 due to the lighter weight and handling wise the Z06 might feel a little more sharper but then the Z06 has a tendency to want to snap over steer at the limit and bite back leaving the driver somewhat uneasy unless he's a pro to catch it early and correct it.

The Z06 has a twitchy rear end when being pushed while the ZL1 is more communicative giving more feedback to the driver and feeling more composed at the limit.

By the way Saagz87 I'm curious to know, since the ZL1 has torque management restricting it much off the line, is that because it was designed to have that to manage the power delivery better from a dig? 🤔
Cant say why they had the torque management dialed up so high. I have data logged ZL1s on radials with zero traction issues and they still cut power. Even my modded 5th Gen manual ZL1 had torque management issues once it was making an extra 250whp till I got rid of it

What I can say, is the PTM program in the 6th gen ZL1 is amazing stuff. You can take a 700whp car and it will launch very well on street with a PS4 tire. Still won’t hang with that dang C8 though. It will however hang close enough to blast by as speed increases.

Roll racing has its place wether anyone likes it or not. Takes the driver out of the equation So there can’t be any excuses. Your comparing car/parts/build in a much more reproducible manner. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it stupid. There are also cars and motorcycles of the caliber that require this style of race

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Agree Hellcats are very consistent especially with good drivers.
They're consistent with good drivers and a proper rear suspension dialed in. The majority of HC owners I know just pulley and tune it, leave everything else alone and end up with something that can't figure out which direction it wants to launch in.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I owned a Hellcat for a long time. I wouldn't say I'm "picking" on it. I just know what the C8 can do and what my Hellcat could do... and as I said earlier, in 5 passes, I guarantee the C8 wins at least 3 of them, so long as we're talking stock for stock. If someone lets me put DRs on the C8, I'll win all 5.
If your car is stock you shouldn’t be racing it, at that point it’s like racing a ford contor. Anyone can buy a quick car, modified vs modified it comes down to not just your wallet but the driver. I’ve owned my car since new in 2015, so I know how reserved you have to be having a hellcat. Everyone wants some, but you have to show restraint. I guarantee it, you get caught racing on the street? Really racing? Really busted? It’ll be the last time you’ll ever do it, and we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. Build your car, race it at the track, and keep your dignity /freedom/car

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Roll racing has its place wether anyone likes it or not. Takes the driver out of the equation So there can’t be any excuses. Your comparing car/parts/build in a much more reproducible manner. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it stupid. There are also cars and motorcycles of the caliber that require this style of race
I'm in the sport for the motor SPORT part of it. It's a contest that marries driver and machine. Roll racing, as you said, takes the driver out of it. I can do that kind of stuff on Forza on my XBox. Most of my racing career, I've driven some sort of underdog type car. Maybe it was too heavy or underpowered, but a good driver can make things happen. In roll racing, the only stats that matter are overall total weight, gear ratios, and power/torque. So long as the driver is at least 10 years old and knows how to put it in D and mash the gas... the car with better stats is going to win 100% of the time.

To put it in a sporting context, that's like taking 2 boxers and have them punch an accelerometer. Whichever one punches the hardest wins the match. But, that's not what boxing is all about... and a car's acceleration at speed is not what motorsports is about either.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If your car is stock you shouldn’t be racing it, at that point it’s like racing a ford contor. Anyone can buy a quick car, modified vs modified it comes down to not just your wallet but the driver. I’ve owned my car since new in 2015, so I know how reserved you have to be having a hellcat. Everyone wants some, but you have to show restraint. I guarantee it, you get caught racing on the street? Really racing? Really busted? It’ll be the last time you’ll ever do it, and we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. Build your car, race it at the track, and keep your dignity /freedom/car
I've been busted. Back in 1997, I was 18 and got caught racing on an abandoned airstrip. In Florida, there's a law about rural paved surfaces with an assumed 45mph speed limit. I was caught at over 220mph racing a '67 Ford Fairlane on nitro vs. a blown '69 Corvette. There were about 20 of us there and they snagged all of us. I ended up paying close to 15k in fines and the judge ordered me to be present when they crushed my car in lieu of jail time. This is why I don't do such things anymore, and haven't since then.

There's a marked difference between organized street racing and "having some fun" in the middle of nowhere. There's a 0% chance of getting arrested for street racing in places like that. Sure, there's always risk involved, but not the kind where the cops are hiding out in the woods waiting to bust an entire crew of organized street racers.

As I've posted before, I have over 4,000 hours of seat time on my SCCA license... I'm pretty much the definition of a track rat.

·
Registered
10.23 @ 133 in Roomy Comfort (Stock, no tune of any kind,, just tires)
425 Posts
A modified car is an entirely different story. I'd say the same thing about S550 Mustangs being gloriously inconsistent too in stock form. My modified S550 was not inconsistent, but it had about 20 grand in suspension work to reign in that 1,100hp.

As for actual racing though, you sure do red light a lot ;)
Car is completely stock, except tires, skinnies are on the 10.2s.

Yea red light is annoying but it's TNT and in order to cut a perfect light you have to practice cutting that light as close as possible. I think I'm getting pretty close to it 😁.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Half the people on here are scared to take the cats off their car but are talking about street racing lol. Kind of ironic if you ask me
That's because if you get caught with your cats off, at least in my state, it's a $3,000 fine per cat removed and mandatory impound of the vehicle until such time you arrange to have the cats reinstalled. In Florida, we also have a law that can use social media as a primary witness. So, if someone posts a video about having their cats removed, law enforcement can theoretically mail you a summons to appear and impound the vehicle if the cats have been tampered with.

There was a popular IG personality that had a his and hers Hellcat/Durango HC. The first day the husband got his DHC, he put it in a shop down near Miami and had the cats removed and a custom exhaust installed. Three days later, he made another post about how someone stole his new DHC...

Except it wasn't stolen. Miami-Dade towed his car and fined him $6,000 after watching his video. He was a green card holder and, to keep from being deported, they forced him to testify against the shop that did the work, which resulted in the EPA fining a Midas muffler shop close to 2 million dollars for performing many dozens of illegal cat removals (25k fine per, plus additional fines for not keeping adequate records). Once word got out that he was a snitch, he lost most of his IG followers. He ended up having to pay a shade north of $8,000 to get his DHC back, and had to pay another $2,000 to get OEM cats put back on the car. He ended up selling it to pay for everything.

In Florida, we're very lenient on noise ordinances (everything goes between around 7am and 11pm), you can even run uncapped headers on classic cars here, legally. However, if you have a post 1978 car and you mess with the cats, FL has a hard-on right now for prosecuting those cases. There's been a couple people on the forum here who got pinched in the Tampa/Orlando area last year.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've been busted. Back in 1997, I was 18 and got caught racing on an abandoned airstrip. In Florida, there's a law about rural paved surfaces with an assumed 45mph speed limit. I was caught at over 220mph racing a '67 Ford Fairlane on nitro vs. a blown '69 Corvette. There were about 20 of us there and they snagged all of us. I ended up paying close to 15k in fines and the judge ordered me to be present when they crushed my car in lieu of jail time. This is why I don't do such things anymore, and haven't since then.

There's a marked difference between organized street racing and "having some fun" in the middle of nowhere. There's a 0% chance of getting arrested for street racing in places like that. Sure, there's always risk involved, but not the kind where the cops are hiding out in the woods waiting to bust an entire crew of organized street racers.

As I've posted before, I have over 4,000 hours of seat time on my SCCA license... I'm pretty much the definition of a track rat.
Don’t get caught (again) horsing around man. Not worth it. Just because it’s the middle of nowhere doesn’t make it any less illegal lol. And it’s up to the judge. If you talked about racing someone and then did it I’d call that organized. I’d call doing it on a public road reckless driving. I’d call racing what it is, racing. No way to really sugar coat doing dumb stuff.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,248 Posts
Not sure about that, that’s what a roll race is. Always. From 40 or 60 to 140. Any racing in the street is pure stupidity. Period.
Ok so you've established that a base model C8 is not the best vehicle for a roll race. Ok. Did anyone ever say otherwise? HP is for roll races, pretty simple to make any car fast at roll racing, just add power, much harder to make a car quick from a dig.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,248 Posts
Racing in traffic for 200 ft to a light is lame. Really lame. All “street” racing is, but that’s the lamest
Happens every day though.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,248 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
I used to modify my cars and hold grudes because people would talk smack and try to sucker you into racing on the street. None of that matters. Not worth it guys, that’s all. Now I do it for myself for the track for myself to make my own personal bests and break milestones

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
549 Posts
I used to modify my cars and hold grudes because people would talk smack and try to sucker you into racing on the street. None of that matters. Not worth it guys, that’s all. Now I do it for myself for the track for myself to make my own personal bests and break milestones
You made your point 5 or 10 posts ago lol. Your the only one arguing with yourself

101 - 120 of 143 Posts