SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

DSS Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft Installed - One Issue

8394 Views 39 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Mean Cat
I just installed my new DSS carbon fiber DS in my 2015 A8 HC Challenger. The installation was pretty smooth but I did have one issue. Once installed the DSS provides instructions that state I should have 3.25" to 3.75" clearance between the DS and the front CV joint. It states DO NOT run the DS if less than 3.25" (3 1/4" inches). Well my shaft is about 3.189 (3 3/16" inches). Now with the front bolted and torqued in place the rear of the DS loose (Not bolted) the DS can be pushed forward maybe an 1/8"... so it's not binding in the CV.

I called the DSS and spoke with tech support and they were very good on the phone. Basically they told me to try it and if it didn't vibrate or create any issue to just run it. I did take it out and put it through the paces. The good news was everything seems to be fine. Has anyone else had this issue (Less distance than specified). If so what did you do? While I was speaking with the tech at DSS, I asked what do I do if it is an issue? I inquired to see if they offered different thickness adapters at the front or for the rear to adjust the clearance. The answer was NO... they said if it is an issue to send them the DS. Anyone run into this issue and has it lead to any problems or issues?
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
830 Posts
Sorry haven't ran into the same issue but I will say, DSS is one heck of a company and will stand behind their product. I would follow the advice they gave you

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
668 Posts
Try and get phone correspondence resent via email or keep detailed notes of who you talked to , the advice they give you. You may not have an issue with them but just in case you have notes to show them if something goes wrong in 500-600 miles.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,209 Posts
I had that issue, they said my Hellcat was a unicorn. I say BS. I busted my FIRST DSS CF shaft at the starting line at the strip. They rub and if you give it hell in a dead hook it could happen to you. The second one fit like yours, it was too long, and we sent it back. QA1 will be releasing their 3.25" CF shaft soon. I have been attempting to make their prototype unit fail for about two months now. It is badazz.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the input guys... Taking her to test & tune tonight. Hopefully we have good air and some 10s slips, it been cool here in the Northeast... and no DS issues!

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem And it setup a drone through the car talked to DSS and they sent me a smaller rear driveshaft adapter installed and all was good
Really... they told me they had nothing. I assume it was the front adapter plate they swapped out? Did you measure the thickness difference between the two? Just curious what it was... if I had another 1/8" it would then be in the zone!

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx WNY Cat... I remember that thread but the search doesn't always pull those threads up so I couldn't find it. I actually replied 3 or 4 times on that post. I just read the whole thing again... seems very similar to my situation... just a tad tight but still not binding. We'll see how she runs at the track tonight. :D Sounds like the DSS worked with you pretty good... while a pain... at least they did what was right, which makes me feel pretty good about my DS.;)

Reactions: WNY Cat

· Premium Member
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,607 Posts
Thx WNY Cat... I remember that thread but the search doesn't always pull those threads up so I couldn't find it. I actually replied 3 or 4 times on that post. I just read the whole thing again... seems very similar to my situation... just a tad tight but still not binding. We'll see how she runs at the track tonight. :D Sounds like the DSS worked with you pretty good... while a pain... at least they did what was right, which makes me feel pretty good about my DS.;)
It's nice when a company stand behind their product but I don't want to have problems & hassles to begin with taking it in & out & shipping it back waiting on it , that's a bunch of BS. They have been doing this long enough to get it rite & I still here of issues or vibration. That's why I went with Wiles Racing DS, no issues what so ever, if I didn't put it in I wouldn't know it was there, no clearance issues cause it's 3.5" aluminum with carbon fiber insert for more strength, it has NO adaptors direct bolt in, 1350 u joints at each end to articulate if it needs to & it's the same price or cheaper. Mr. Wiles also stands behind his DS's if he ever has to. Good luck guy's.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Guys... The unbelievable happened tonight. My CF DS exploded on the 5th pass. :mad: Not sure what happened or why but what a giant PITA! :confused: Car is stuck at the track I'll have to pick it up tomorrow. I'm gonna give DSS a call in the morning. If you've ever have this happen... you can't even shut the car off. The issue is the tail shaft was still spinning even in neutral... when you put it in park it won't engage the park lock because the transmission senses the tail shaft still spinning. Because the transmission was still spinning, it wouldn't allow me to even open the trunk. We pushed it to the pits and the only way to shut it off was to pull one of the relays from under the hood. I'll update as I go... maybe start a new thread. Bummer!

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Well Guys... The unbelievable happened tonight. My CF DS exploded on the 5th pass. :mad: Not sure what happened or why but what a giant PITA! :confused: Car is stuck at the track I'll have to pick it up tomorrow. I'm gonna give DSS a call in the morning. If you've ever have this happen... you can't even shut the car off. The issue is the tail shaft was still spinning even in neutral... when you put it in park it won't engage the park lock because the transmission senses the tail shaft still spinning. Because the transmission was still spinning, it wouldn't allow me to even open the trunk. We pushed it to the pits and the only way to shut it off was to pull one of the relays from under the hood. I'll update as I go... maybe start a new thread. Bummer!
Get your $money back + expenses if you can & call Wiles Racing Shafts & you'll have no more issues, you won't be sorry.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,209 Posts
You did not know I double as a fortune teller? See post #4 above. Now, I will imagine when you drag its ugly azz out of your car it will look just like this....
Auto part

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,209 Posts
And I'll pile on. The DSS big aftermarket axles failed after a few 100 miles on the street for me. Three of four CV boots ripped. This can happen to ANY lowered car. They said they would send new boots. The DSS axles are in the trash, with my Spohn rear connector rods.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well DGatzby... you must be a physic or something. I'm not sure what the shaft looks like I just know there was a lot of it on the ground. Now the fun starts as I've got to figure out a way to get it home. I have a truck and enclosed trailer but no winch to pull it on the trailer. Naturally being a weekday everyone is working... could you use your physic abilities to load it for me! I called DSS and they were very good to speak with and gave me a RMA. We'll see where this goes. How much damage was there to the underside of your car?

· Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
584 Posts
Well DGatzby... you must be a physic or something. I'm not sure what the shaft looks like I just know there was a lot of it on the ground. Now the fun starts as I've got to figure out a way to get it home. I have a truck and enclosed trailer but no winch to pull it on the trailer. Naturally being a weekday everyone is working... could you use your physic abilities to load it for me! I called DSS and they were very good to speak with and gave me a RMA. We'll see where this goes. How much damage was there to the underside of your car?
I'm no expert, but since you have a carbon fiber DS, then there should be no damage to the underside of your car. When it fails, it shreds into fibers.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,209 Posts
I'm no expert, but since you have a carbon fiber DS, then there should be no damage to the underside of your car. When it fails, it shreds into fibers.
Matter of fact I was just viewing the underside in detail this morning at QA1. Everything came out fine on mine, I would expect yours looks a lot like the picture I posted. Yep, million pieces were on the ground. What I did was simply towed it to a nearby good shop, brought my OEM DS to them and had it reinstalled to get it back on the road. The only thing we see is the insulation up in front of the silver heat shield seems to be deteriorating. Don't know if it started last year when it busted or it is just having a bad life in the Hellcat.

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
I had that issue, they said my Hellcat was a unicorn. I say BS. I busted my FIRST DSS CF shaft at the starting line at the strip. They rub and if you give it hell in a dead hook it could happen to you. The second one fit like yours, it was too long, and we sent it back. QA1 will be releasing their 3.25" CF shaft soon. I have been attempting to make their prototype unit fail for about two months now. It is badazz.
It is amazing how many people stay loyal with a company that continues to have issues with one thing or another ? Sure they will try to correct issues , their suckering in new customers . Why don't they fix all their issues b4 they sell or ship any ? Insanity is doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different result ! Call Wiles Racing Shafts & be done.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,209 Posts
It is amazing how many people stay loyal with a company that continues to have issues with one thing or another ? Sure they will try to correct issues , their suckering in new customers . Why don't they fix all their issues b4 they sell or ship any ? Insanity is doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different result ! Call Wiles Racing Shafts & be done.
Agreed. The other option soon will be QA1 at 3.25". They gave mine the final once over this morning. I think they will have an announcement soon.

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Agreed. The other option soon will be QA1 at 3.25". They gave mine the final once over this morning. I think they will have an announcement soon.
Good to see that there is other better options out there & everyone needs to take the blinders & rose colored glasses off & stop following the herd sometimes. Especially when there is ongoing issues !

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.