SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 auto HC. Another vibration issue after installing driveshaft.
Finally got my one piece DSS driveshaft for the car. Threw it up on the lift and install the shaft. Took it for a quick spin yesterday and noticed vibration.
Well tonight took the car out to dinner and roughly 80miles round trip on the highway. I can’t believe how bad the vibration is at highway speeds.
I’m to the point of removing the DSS aluminum one piece shaft and throwing it in the dumpster! I’m going attempt to reach out to them Monday and see what we can do about this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
295 Posts
Finally got my one piece DSS driveshaft for the car. Threw it up on the lift and install the shaft. Took it for a quick spin yesterday and noticed vibration.
Well tonight took the car out to dinner and roughly 80miles round trip on the highway. I can’t believe how bad the vibration is at highway speeds.
I’m to the point of removing the DSS aluminum one piece shaft and throwing it in the dumpster! I’m going attempt to reach out to them Monday and see what we can do about this.
CCI is a much better drive shaft.... No vibrations at all and have gone 150mph, 127mph in the quarter... 20190517_112917.jpg

Reactions: Crapr6

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,994 Posts
Had a DSS on my 16. Vibration was freaking horrible.
Took it off.
Sitting in my garage. A complete waste of money.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a DSS on my 16. Vibration was freaking horrible.
Took it off.
Sitting in my garage. A complete waste of money.
Agree 100%. What did you end up getting after removing the DSS driveshaft?

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,994 Posts
Agree 100%. What did you end up getting after removing the DSS driveshaft?
Put my stock one back on.
Best thing I did.
No more vibration.
Sad thing is, I ended up totaling my 16.
Now have a 19.
Only mods on this will be external until warranty is gone.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,469 Posts
I would suggest that now-a-days one might consider going with a Redeye DS. Same DS as the Demons that have not had many (if any) issues with those at the high 9 second level at the track.
Unless one is going to be doing one of the mid to low 9 second builds... why take the crapshoot challenge with one of these one piece drive shafts? One question I would be interested in is.... would FCA actually still be using anything but the stronger RE DS for new Hellcats? If so they would be building the lowly twizzler in addition to the new much stronger RE version. That wouldn’t make any sense.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,481 Posts
Seems to be a few that experience vibration from the DSS. Most don't including me. I have installed DSS shafts on 3 different cars with zero vibration.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
295 Posts
CCI Driveline the only way to go..... 20190517_112917.jpg

Reactions: Crapr6

·
Registered
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Quickest 1/8 mile 6.39
27 Posts
I just thought I would chime in here. I installed a DSS gen two shaft in my 2019 Redeye. I notice a vibration under load over 100 MPH. I noticed It at the drags first. I thought is was just my Mickey ET Street Rs that where the cause. I then notice a vibration at 80 mph with w stock wheels and tires. I pull the DSS gen2 one piece aluminum shaft out and had the balance checked. They said it definitely was out of balance. They also said The rear CV was loose. Well my little drive shaft shop near me balanced it, and I thought crap now it won’t be covered under the DSS warranty. So I re-installed the newly balanced DSS shaft. Now my vibration at 80 was gone. But guess what? My vibration over 100 MPH under was still there! Long story short. I put the stock 2 piece shaft back it, all problem with vibrations are gone. So I wasted three Saturdays and $1000 dollars.

So I have learned if you do have a DSS shaft with a vibration. Do not have anyone rebalance it because it voids the DSS one year warranty! Plus I learned a 2019 Redeye stock driveshaft is better than DSS anyway. Save your money. Spend your money and time elsware.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
320 Posts
Have you tried clocking the position...ie...unbolt amd turn end 90 degrees and reinstall. Try it 1 step at a time through all 360 degrees on both ends and usually you will find a spot that NVH is at a minimum/

·
Registered
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Quickest 1/8 mile 6.39
27 Posts
No vibration at x MPH at steady cruise means no balance issue. Vibration under load means unequal cancellation angles, like the engine, trans or rear-end are not in the stock location; or a junk CV or U-Joint. Which totally confirmed my local drive shaft shops findings of a loose CV joint. Their balance machine can’t simulate the load factor. However the technician said he could hear something and feel something on my rear CV joint.

Good luck to all with the DSS shafts. I am done with that company.

Reactions: 2fast4u
1 - 13 of 13 Posts