SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after a long wait, I finally pick up my new Durango Hellcat. After having it in my possession for 30 minutes a warning light pops up stating the oil is overheating. I immediately take it back to the dealer. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this problem?

So, after 30 minutes of owning it, it is now in the repair shop without any estimate of how long before it will be fixed, or what the problem is. Talk about a big disappointment. The Durango Hellcat has already been in the repair shop longer than my Toyota 4runner ever was over the entire 16 years I have owned it. I am feeling like a made a mistake with this purchase.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
How was the oil level? Apparently the TRX can have issues with leaking oil cooler fittings.

Reactions: Mrproper86

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oil pressure gauge was in the normal range at 27 psi while the oil temperature reading was 327 degrees F.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
Hmm. 27 psi sounds quite low to me, but at 327 degrees I suppose it has a reason to be low.
So the crank case was up to full on the stick? No sign of leaks underneath?

Reactions: Mrproper86

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was so annoyed, I didn’t even think to check. I just got in my 16 year old reliable vehicle, and went home.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,532 Posts
Been noticing these newer Hellcat models having oil and trans cooler line issues where theyve not been tightened correctly and actually popping off while dumping fluid. My RE included. Doesnt sound like yours was leaking unless you didnt notice a lot of smoke and a puddle. But it does seem odd that your oil temp was so high. Almost like you must be low or a cooler is not right.
Cmon FCA...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
Hey, poke, do you know if those connections are threaded or push-on?
I'll find out what a TRX has in a week or so, but now I'm curious.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Ya know, I actually dont. By the time I called to see what it was they had it all buttoned up. I forgot to ask, was just happy it was a simple fix. Although theyre telling me to go get it spray washed underneath (out of pocket style). There are small puddles of residual trans fluid shifting around under there and every now and then some spills on to the exhaust and embarrasses me. pretty annoyed with it still tbh.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
Hey, look at it from the bright side. People pay good money to have their chassis coated with oil, for rust prevention.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Hey, look at it from the bright side. People pay good money to have their chassis coated with oil, for rust prevention.
I actually was trying to think of it that way lol. Then I remembered how much crud that would build up if I dont get it cleaned soon. I dont drive it much so i doubt much will build up before my appt next Friday.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
Okay, but like a K&N filter, it's the crud that does the job.

Reactions: Slowpoke387

·
Registered
44 Posts
280 miles and no issues? knock on wood?
The oil pressure gauge was in the normal range at 27 psi while the oil temperature reading was 327 degrees F.
mine just idling and driving around this evening... 250ish miles

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,037 Posts
The lines are push in with hair clips, at least down by the oil cooler drain bolt/block anyways

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The sensing unit was replaced, and apparently that didn’t take care of the problem. My confidence in the service center is low. They are now pursuing a “blockage” somewhere. They couldn’t explain it better. The thought of a brand new vehicle being taken apart by a sub par service center is disconcerting to say the least.

Part of my motivation with this post is to see if there is a common parts problem which will become evident as more of these vehicles reach their owners. I will let everyone know the final outcome. I hope I didn’t get a lemon.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
If there was a blockage wouldnt the pressure read low? Or would it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
They are now pursuing a “blockage” somewhere. They couldn’t explain it better.
That was my first thought, since I figured that you would've noticed if the oil was leaking out.
And it would explain the heat, and also the low pressure if the blockage is "in the wrong place".

Could be as simple as that there's a little protective plastic cap left in place on the cooler or one of the hoses, now with a small rupture in it.

Reactions: Slowpoke387
1 - 20 of 42 Posts