SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm experiencing a strange moaning/groaning noise coming from the engine bay on my Durango Hellcat. I've taken it to the dealership but was told it's normal "exhaust noise", so I just want to see if anyone has any insight into whether this is a normal Hellcat sound. Here are the characteristics of the noise:
  • I started noticing it at around 300 miles
  • Only occurs when the truck is at operating temperature
  • Occurs between 1,800 - 3,000 RPMs
  • Sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side of the engine bay
  • Not driveline noise (does it in D, N, P)
  • Independent of the supercharger
  • Is loudest under light throttle and coming down the RPMs while decelerating
Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,549 Posts
I'm experiencing a strange moaning/groaning noise coming from the engine bay on my Durango Hellcat. I've taken it to the dealership but was told it's normal "exhaust noise", so I just want to see if anyone has any insight into whether this is a normal Hellcat sound. Here are the characteristics of the noise:
  • I started noticing it at around 300 miles
  • Only occurs when the truck is at operating temperature
  • Occurs between 1,800 - 3,000 RPMs
  • Sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side of the engine bay
  • Not driveline noise (does it in D, N, P)
  • Independent of the supercharger
  • Is loudest under light throttle and coming down the RPMs while decelerating
Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Take a video and post it on here. otherwise its a guessing game friend.

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
184 Posts
My Redeye has a bit of blower noise at very slight throttle on the highway when pretty much just sustaining 74-82 mph. Your sound seems like you mention not the blower but like others said looking forward to hearing video

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to get a video. It’s not the best quality, but you can hear the moaning sound best around 2k RPMs.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,496 Posts
Sounds to me like the active exhaust valve cycling, maybe? If so, then working as intended.

The only sound issue I have is a slight rattle under acceleration from zero. In my case, it's the exhaust flange on the driver's side where the exhaust from the header meets the catalytic converter. I routinely have to tighten it every couple of months.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Interesting the sound increases and decreases in frequency relative to the RPM/ throttle position.

sounds kind of like the blower to me but it’s hard to localize where it’s coming from listening on my phone and not being there.

I wouldn’t worry too much but it is an interesting sound.

my rear deck panel behind the rear seats has a bit of a ratte sometimes and the passenger seat rattles a bit too.

I’d rather have a lil whine than a f-ing rattle lol therattle kills me but it’s reminiscent of my pops old 74 roadrunner

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting the sound increases and decreases in frequency relative to the RPM/ throttle position.

sounds kind of like the blower to me but it’s hard to localize where it’s coming from listening on my phone and not being there.

I wouldn’t worry too much but it is an interesting sound.

my rear deck panel behind the rear seats has a bit of a ratte sometimes and the passenger seat rattles a bit too.

I’d rather have a lil whine than a f-ing rattle lol therattle kills me but it’s reminiscent of my pops old 74 roadrunner
Yeah I'll have to snag a buddy to record the sound from inside the engine bay to see if I can isolate it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds to me like the active exhaust valve cycling, maybe? If so, then working as intended.

The only sound issue I have is a slight rattle under acceleration from zero. In my case, it's the exhaust flange on the driver's side where the exhaust from the header meets the catalytic converter. I routinely have to tighten it every couple of months.
I’m 99% sure Durango Hellcats don’t have active exhaust but I could be mistaken. I appreciate the input nonetheless.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's another video while under load. You can hear the moan starting at about 5 seconds. I was able to listen to it while shutting down and it sounds like it's coming from the fan or radiator. Again I'll have to get a video of it once I have another set of hands.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Tbh it just sounds like the blower to me

what does it sound like if you accelerate slower?Less throttle does the noise go away?

what If you accelerate a little faster

I have found keeping the throttle application very light there is no blower sound. Like driving it like a 90 year old woman

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any update on this? I have a similar noise. Almost sounds like static. Mainly passenger side.
Unfortunately not since my Durango was stolen from in front of my house before I could get the noise fully diagnosed by the dealer. My best guess is that it's just the cooling system being incredibly noisy, since the sound only occurred after the engine was up to operating temp.

The only sound I heard akin to static was a vibration at WOT, which ended up being caused by the exhaust contacting the frame.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts