SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Should I trade in the E63 AMG for WB Hellcat?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Allow me to introduce myself. Used to have some heavily modded cars and was active on previous forums like VW Vortex, Infiniti and MBWorld.... hello everyone.
I’m super pumped out about ordering a 2018 Hellcat Widebody!!! From what I’ve read on here this seems to be a very fun group of car enthusiasts.

I don’t have buyers remorse but I am starting to feel like I shouldn’t be getting rid of my current car..2014 E63 AMG, as the second owner, (first owner spent 106k on the car and really took car of the car. It still has the break-in period sticker on the windshield). I got the car with 17k miles for 68k and had it for less than two years now and only put 6k miles on it. Dodge dealer is going to give me 50k for trade. 45k goes back to me in form of a bank check and 5k goes towards a Hellcat WB lease for. 36 mths. Am I making the right decision?
The Mercedes has over 600HP and 600TQ numbers and takes the car to 0-60 in 3.5 secs. It too is a monster like the Hellcat. It would tear up a Helllcat at the track but not in a 1/4 mile and certainly doesn’t have the “fun” factor of a Hellcat(which I want!!)

I wish I had more time to try to privately sell the AMG. It’s so perfectly taking care of that an AMG enthusiast would pay top dollar I’m sure. (I’m impatient and watch Hellcat YouTube videos and obsess all day) And... I want the car for the summer. CT winters suck.

Can you guys tell me I’m doing the right thing and rushing into this for the Hellcat WB?

Previous Vehicles:
VW Passat 1.8T Turbo (Heavily Boosted)
Infiniti G35x
Infiniti G37s (Heavily Modded, monster of a car)
Jeep Grand Cheeroke Overland
Mercedes ML350
Mercedes E350

Current Vehicles;
2014 Mercedes E63 Model-S
2015 BMW X3 M-Sport

Future Car:
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody (TorRed)
[8-10 weeks, ordered on 3/22/18]

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,545 Posts
Hello and welcome from a fellow MBWorld member. I would not put down 5K on a lease. Less is better. For me it was time to move on from my heavily modded CL 55 and Carlsson CLS. I have never looked back. Very happy with my Hellcat just a whole different beast.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh and I hope it’s 8-10 weeks btw. Any delays currently on the WB?
I can’t have 3 cars at my house or the girl will kill me so that’s why I’d have to choose the AMG or Hellcat..

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome from a fellow MBWorld member. I would not put down 5K on a lease. Less is better. For me it was time to move on from my heavily modded CL 55 and Carlsson CLS. I have never looked back. Very happy with my Hellcat just a whole different beast.
Thanks TK, I was trying to get the lease to under 580 with 5k down. They were able to, I only did the summer tires and A8 with red seat belts, no other options. Got it to 580(at least it is now before the car arrives and residual fluctuations). Your recommendation is to keep more money in my pocket and do a lease with minimal down, let’s say 1000? Better to do it that way?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,545 Posts
Thanks TK, I was trying to get the lease to under 580 with 5k down. They were able to, I only did the summer tires and A8 with red seat belts, no other options. Got it to 580(at least it is now before the car arrives and residual fluctuations). Your recommendation is to keep more money in my pocket and do a lease with minimal down, let’s say 1000? Better to do it that way?
With your 5k down it equates to 138 a month so technically you are paying 718 a month with 0 down which isn't bad. If something was to happen to the vehicle you would be out the 5k so try to keep money in pocket. Either way you got what you wanted and are happy with the deal. Don't forget to post some pics when you get the beast!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
188 Posts
Not sure you are going to get a fair poll on a Hellcat forum. I will say the Hellcat is a beast and the smiles per gallon are hard to beat. The Mercedes is awesome as well and I am sure gets looks to go with the performance. You will be giving up some sophistication for some old school Merican muscle, but that is what I was wanting and love it!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics of the E63 AMG Model-S

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,157 Posts
Welcome to the forum & community. Looks like you are really attached to your AMG. I don’t blame you. But you have a BMW X3M as well. An American muscle would mix it up a bit imho.

Reactions: HUNTER and GOMER

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,157 Posts
I would suggest going down to the nearest dealership and checking out the SRT/scat pack Challengers. Take a look inside and see if the interiors and technology is something you could live with. Most of the higher end Challenger trims share the same stuff. A test drive is also a good idea as you would get some feel of the hemi motor unleashing it’s glory. Not the same as the hellcat but you get what I’m trying to convey.

Reactions: HUNTER and GOMER

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would suggest going down to the nearest dealership and checking out the SRT/scat pack Challengers. Take a look inside and see if the interiors and technology is something you could live with. Most of the higher end Challenger trims share the same stuff. A test drive is also a good idea as you would get some feel of the hemi motor unleashing it’s glory. Not the same as the hellcat but you get what I’m trying to convey.
I test drove a used 2016 Hellcat today. 7k miles. $52k. Needed new tires, the rear tires are a bit bald, I wonder why! As far as the AMG, it just sucks to spend $68k on a car 18 months ago and now I’m only getting $50k for it. Ugh.
I will say this, the TRACK MODE on that Hellcat was insane. The A8 bangs the gears so hard and the rear end slide out a few times with those 275’s. What a fun car. I hope the widebody has the same reckless power feel. It felt like the car was pissed off and it didn’t care who knows about it. The supercharger whine is ON.
Meanwhile... the white collar AMG is more calculated - not sure if that’s attractive anymore.
*The Hellcat feels large, but in the best way. It’s ready for whatever you choose, it drives as if the car is ready for you, the connection to the road isn’t there and I didn’t care. The connection to the car was.

The AMG has this “stickiness” with the road and feels connected to each bumb and pavement pitch as it’s meant too. At first it’s amazing but it becomes numb unless you’re on a track when you can really push the car. Unless I dangerously weave in an out of traffic and take the exit ramp at 80mph, it feels like the car is just running at 50%.
*Track statistics aside, the pure adrenaline of the Hellcat overcomes the calculated perfect balance of the Mercedes. It’s total different...

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,994 Posts
I test drove a used 2016 Hellcat today. 7k miles. $52k. Needed new tires, the rear tires are a bit bald, I wonder why! As far as the AMG, it just sucks to spend $68k on a car 18 months ago and now I’m only getting $50k for it. Ugh.
I will say this, the TRACK MODE on that Hellcat was insane. The A8 bangs the gears so hard and the rear end slide out a few times with those 275’s. What a fun car. I hope the widebody has the same reckless power feel. It felt like the car was pissed off and it didn’t care who knows about it. The supercharger whine is ON.
Meanwhile... the white collar AMG is more calculated - not sure if that’s attractive anymore.
*The Hellcat feels large, but in the best way. It’s ready for whatever you choose, it drives as if the car is ready for you, the connection to the road isn’t there and I didn’t care. The connection to the car was.7

The AMG has this “stickiness” with the road and feels connected to each bumb and pavement pitch as it’s meant too. At first it’s amazing but it becomes numb unless you’re on a track when you can really push the car. Unless I dangerously weave in an out of traffic and take the exit ramp at 80mph, it feels like the car is just running at 50%.
*Track statistics aside, the pure adrenaline of the Hellcat overcomes the calculated perfect balance of the Mercedes. It’s total different...
You won't be disappointed. Wide body or not.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,994 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Post pics when you get your HC.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally made the decision to lease, 36 months, 10k miles. Only putting down the 1st month + dealers fees, $500.
Ordered on 3/22. Just got VIN# today.
Dealer seems confident of arrival in 2 months.
2018 Widebody A8, TorRed, Summer PZeros and red belts with Alcantara.

WAITING on the monthly cost, doesn't matter what they tell me now because the rate and residual will change they say and I cant get a final # until the vehicle arrived in May/June.

What do you think of the pricing (attached), was told the pricing was the 74,055 minus the Hold Back (HB) of $2276 = $71,779 final

Attachments

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
Op, nice work on the cap cost. As others have said, put nothing down, other than first months payment. The money factor is so low, that you can even roll in the other costs and it works out fine. Putting large $ down on a lease = 1) fooling yourself into thinking you have a lower payment and 2) should you total the car, you'd lose that chunk of cash.

Regarding the E63, beautiful car and totally different than a WB HC. While not a track car, don't be fooled in thinking the WB wouldn't hang with the E63 (drivers being equal). All that said, keep the Merc, should you need a 4 dr car. As you see and initially benefitted from, AMGs (as well as Audi RS & BMW M) depreciate like a stone. That makes them great used car values, so long as they're still in warranty!

As for the WB HC, we love ours and I haven't spoken with any other owners who don't feel the same.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Op, nice work on the cap cost. As others have said, put nothing down, other than first months payment. The money factor is so low, that you can even roll in the other costs and it works out fine. Putting large $ down on a lease = 1) fooling yourself into thinking you have a lower payment and 2) should you total the car, you'd lose that chunk of cash.

Regarding the E63, beautiful car and totally different than a WB HC. While not a track car, don't be fooled in thinking the WB wouldn't hang with the E63 (drivers being equal). All that said, keep the Merc, should you need a 4 dr car. As you see and initially benefitted from, AMGs (as well as Audi RS & BMW M) depreciate like a stone. That makes them great used car values, so long as they're still in warranty!

As for the WB HC, we love ours and I haven't spoken with any other owners who don't feel the same.

Regards,
John

Thanks John for the kind comment!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
59 Posts
Allow me to introduce myself. Used to have some heavily modded cars and was active on previous forums like VW Vortex, Infiniti and MBWorld.... hello everyone.
I’m super pumped out about ordering a 2018 Hellcat Widebody!!! From what I’ve read on here this seems to be a very fun group of car enthusiasts.

I don’t have buyers remorse but I am starting to feel like I shouldn’t be getting rid of my current car..2014 E63 AMG, as the second owner, (first owner spent 106k on the car and really took car of the car. It still has the break-in period sticker on the windshield). I got the car with 17k miles for 68k and had it for less than two years now and only put 6k miles on it. Dodge dealer is going to give me 50k for trade. 45k goes back to me in form of a bank check and 5k goes towards a Hellcat WB lease for. 36 mths. Am I making the right decision?
The Mercedes has over 600HP and 600TQ numbers and takes the car to 0-60 in 3.5 secs. It too is a monster like the Hellcat. It would tear up a Helllcat at the track but not in a 1/4 mile and certainly doesn’t have the “fun” factor of a Hellcat(which I want!!)

I wish I had more time to try to privately sell the AMG. It’s so perfectly taking care of that an AMG enthusiast would pay top dollar I’m sure. (I’m impatient and watch Hellcat YouTube videos and obsess all day) And... I want the car for the summer. CT winters suck.

Can you guys tell me I’m doing the right thing and rushing into this for the Hellcat WB?

Previous Vehicles:
VW Passat 1.8T Turbo (Heavily Boosted)
Infiniti G35x
Infiniti G37s (Heavily Modded, monster of a car)
Jeep Grand Cheeroke Overland
Mercedes ML350
Mercedes E350

Current Vehicles;
2014 Mercedes E63 Model-S
2015 BMW X3 M-Sport

Future Car:
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody (TorRed)
[8-10 weeks, ordered on 3/22/18]

Big delimma. I would first of all make sure that I was getting a good price for the Merc and the lease price for the HC as well. Have you driven the HC to compare the 2 because maybe you won't love the HC? For me, I think the HC is more fun due to the sound and violent performance ut there are areas where the Merc is superior...I would make sure I was okay with the changes before buying.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
224 Posts
I came from a heavily modded E55 AMG and although I will ALWAYS love that car, the Hellcat is just so much more fun to drive. Of course the AMG got the looks and stares from people, and yes the interiors are miles ahead of Dodge, but the Hellcat has plenty of modern amenities and always brings a smile to my face when I drive it. With that said though, I'm still eyeing a newer CLS63 because I do miss the rush of an AWD launch. Even with 20x11 rears and 315's on my Charger HC now, I still can't just mash the gas from a red light and shoot off.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,695 Posts

He should get the hellcat, he will be disappointed coming from that AMG and getting scat pack. Hellcat is the better faster car for his budget also.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts