SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Electric car fires can’t be extinguished?

7K views 95 replies 31 participants last post by  Xylander 
#1 · (Edited)
I live 1 block away from the Firehouse. Talking with the Captain today. He told me Tesla and all electric cars have a serious problem when they catch fire. They can’t be put out !
So if a electric car is in the garage and catches fire they can’t put it out due to the batteries.
Tree Huggers aka Climate experts never addressed this problem?
Let’s talk about this

The Orange County Fire Authority battles a fire from a burning Tesla after it crashed into a garage in Lake Forest, Calif., on Aug. 25, 2017. When firefighters removed the SUV from the garage to assess the fire, they identified the fuel source as the SUV's high-voltage battery pack.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've heard the current training is to create a perimeter and there is no rescue protocol.

• Wow
Reactions: Unholy707
#3 ·
Lithium-ion batteries pose a unique serious threat, and most first responders are not prepared.

Reactions: WVHEMIS and G3SRT
#5 ·
They are dangerous for sure when ignited.

I never park mine in the garage and keep it at least ten feet from my house.

Ive also had a talk with my family that everyone is to get out of the car and way off the road if we ever have an accident, even if its minor.

Although they are a great life hack to essentially travel for free, like everything else there are dangers involved.

#12 · (Edited)
Funny how the hybrid is #1. Not to mention how easy it is to extinguish a gas fire, simply remove O2.

#24 ·
I understand your premise but would still like to have some fun with you :p

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Light Vehicle Asphalt Sky Motor vehicle

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Hood

Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle Tire Car Wheel Hood

Unless you get to any car fire ASAP you are screwed. Even getting to one fast isn't a promise. Anyone remember that insane F1 fire last year? EV fires are definitely a concern but as of right now they are extremely rare when properly charged. Most fires occur at home with knock off chargers that over charger the batteries. Like anything else, if you take proper care of things you're in pretty good shape. But if you find yourself on the wrong side of that lottery you are SOL.

Attachments

#16 ·
Correct. The presence of water does not stop gas from burning, but removing O2 by using soap foam, CO2 or even a rug can extinguish it. The EV reaction is whole new ball game. Just wait until the terrorists start using them.

#22 ·
The other major problem EV's have besides the fires is the cutting points. If you get into a serious accident and have to be cut out of the vehicle the firefighters have to be trained on where the cutting points are. The EV's have them marked but when mangled you just can not go in cutting the occupant out or you may start a fire.

#30 ·
I knew a person that had a lipo battery from a traxxas rc car burn their house down. When it lit in the basement, they tried to put it out but the smoke overtook, so they got out. Guess that is why they offer charging bags now. Guess tesla will offer a charging bag to drive into lol.

#33 ·
I will continue to park my EV in the garage and will park my Eray Vette or Hybrid Hellcat right next to it. I guess if I’m ever in need of the jaws of life, I’m screwed. Of course, if one ever needs to be extracted by the jaws of life they’re probably screwed anyway.

#36 ·
Could be worse. We could be talking about the risk of a Ferrari 355. Have any of them not caught on fire by now? Now that was a hell of a defect. Fuel lines leaking all over the back of the engine.

#37 ·
I have been flying for the last 21 years as aircrew on flight, I can attest that Li Ion battery are probably the most dangerous hazardous material to fly with. Cell phones, tablets, laptops all of them are a serious risk. Cars are no different. They will just burn and burn. Put a burning cellphone with a ruptured battery in a bucket of water and it will stay lit and burn through the bottom of the bucket.

#39 ·
I live 1 block away from the Firehouse. Talking with the Captain today. He told me Tesla and all electric cars have a serious problem when they catch fire. They can’t be put out !
So if a electric car is in the garage and catches fire they can’t put it out due to the batteries.
Tree Huggers aka Climate experts never addressed this problem?
Let’s talk about this

The Orange County Fire Authority battles a fire from a burning Tesla after it crashed into a garage in Lake Forest, Calif., on Aug. 25, 2017. When firefighters removed the SUV from the garage to assess the fire, they identified the fuel source as the SUV's high-voltage battery pack.'s high-voltage battery pack.
Similar issue happened to my neighbor two doors down (the one who has the C8 I messed around with when I had my Hellcat). He had a detached garage where he had a workshop and parked his boat and his Tesla model X inside. Model X caught on fire during charging and burned the whole garage down, his boat, and damaged the main house. He was living in a hotel for about 4 months until everything was rebuilt.

Fun fact, he had solar panels on his roof and Tesla Power Wall in that garage. All total losses.

#43 ·
First off this Green movement is only a smoke show for political reasons..
Fossil Fuel is never going away. If people are foolish to vote for a Manchurian Candidate for President then people can be misled to drink the Kool Aid of Windmills, Teslas, Solar Panels and Pronouns She Her He Him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.