SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe that I'm having to deal with this crap again. Last year, my HC failed the emissions ready test at my local NYS inspection station. After the failure, I followed the Speedy's video on getting the sensors ready and it worked the 1st time. This year, I'm having the same issues. I did the Speedy's thing again, and everything is set, but the EGR. I've googled it and done the various drive cycles that they recommend, and still the EGR won't go to ready. I'm stumped. Anyone have a fail safe drive cycle that they'd like to share?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I don't know the answer to that. I'll call my guy today and see if he knows if that's the case now. Thx for the reply.

Reactions: SRT8 Mike

·
Registered
493 Posts
How much have you drivin it for it to run its self tests? It can take quite a while, and more if it isnt drivin in the window where egr would be active.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,298 Posts
It needs to see certain conditions and cycles. Just keep driving it until it passes all of it’s tests.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Yea most stuff nowadays don't. They use the variable valve timing to achieve the same effect.

Edit: This is with independently variable intake and exhaust cam. Obviously the hellcat has a single cam, so it makes me wonder.
Now in English...🤣

Reactions: geophb

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It needs to see certain conditions and cycles. Just keep driving it until it passes all of it’s tests.
I've put 200+ miles on it and everything is ok but the EGR readiness.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the slash is not not available in the system. The X is that sensor isn't ready.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Now in English...🤣
The variable timing adjusts at a low rpm's to give a tad more overlap. That extra valve overlap induces reversion, which acts as egr. In the ls1 f body world, my 1998 has an egr system, but with the 200-2002 (?) they eliminated the egr system, and closed up the LSA of the cam a degree or two to create reversion/"egr effect". So it works on single cam engines as well.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
The variable timing adjusts at a low rpm's to give a tad more overlap. That extra valve overlap induces reversion, which acts as egr. In the ls1 f body world, my 1998 has an egr system, but with the 200-2002 (?) they eliminated the egr system, and closed up the LSA of the cam a degree or two to create reversion/"egr effect". So it works on single cam engines as well.
:oops:

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most of the miles were on the highway, because it's hard to do the 55mph coast to 20 cycles. No codes of any kind, pending or otherwise.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,882 Posts
Yea most stuff nowadays don't. They use the variable valve timing to achieve the same effect.

Edit: This is with independently variable intake and exhaust cam. Obviously the hellcat has a single cam, so it makes me wonder.
My info is there is 37 degrees of control of the HC camshaft. While of course there is a single camshaft so timing between intake and exhaust valve events can't vary overall cam timing can be changed.

In the OP's case it is possible the "EGR" error is due to some problem with the camshaft variable timing control.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts