SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Engine Oil Analysis

16K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Dennis H 
#1 ·
I pulled an oil sample when I changed my engine and filter at 500. I finally got around to sending it out.

It's the very first sample the lab has performed on the Hellcat 6.2L so they have no unit averages for this motor.

Iron and copper were high... The iron is break in wear (cylinders and any steel on steel wear), the copper is bearings, bushings and copper is often used in the coolers so it could be coming from the oil cooler. I was expecting more silicon from gasket material but maybe they aren't using much RTV in this motor for sealing.

There was a trace amount of fuel which doesn't surprise me. This motor seems to run on the rich side and there were some cold starts without a lot of run time (I got the car in February and really didn't drive it until the end of March but there were several cold starts without a lot of run time).

Viscosity was just slightly out of range on the low side. I"m assuming that the factory fill was Pennzoil 0W40 but really no way for me to know for sure. The trace fuel could also lower the viscosity a bit.

Nothing here that concerns me for a brand new motor but it will be interesting to see how my motor trends and also interesting to see the averages as they sample other Hellcat motors.

Glad I changed it at 500 miles.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What did the analysis cost?

#3 ·
It's $25 for the report I posted. Another $10 to run the TBN. Unless you are doing extended oil changes no need to do the TBN. If you are running 5 or 6K oil changes I would do the TBN a couple of times just to make sure the oil you are using is up to the task.

#6 ·
I used the 041 filter on my car.

#7 ·
Fuel dilution will contribute to viscosity reduction but I've seen this oil read there fresh.

Your potassium levels are a smidge up watch that it can be a sign of coolant entering the combustion chamber.

Sodium is also up slightly which could be related to the air filters performance.

I run tbn and tan together they will tell you when to change the oil, n/a with 500 miles you have tons of additives left (as expexted) that combat acidity from blow by by products.

Having said all that with no history agree all looks ok, especially with so little run time.

#8 ·
It would be nice to see others getting analysis with Blackstone. We can watch the averages grow and see trends both on our person vehicles and as a group.

Site says $25 per for the basic that I had but they actually charged me $22.50. I'm not sure why the difference but no big deal either way. Looks like $22.50 and $32.50 with TBN

#10 ·
What I want to see is data from a car driven hard displaying soot out of exhaust with 1k+ miles on the oil. Not because of car concerns I want to see how the handles blow by (acidity, oxidation and viscosity impacts) then same with Amsoil, then other brands.

#12 ·
I
Trucker Bob I'd love to see an analysis of the Amsoi 0W40 when it's time to change that out. I bet it is a great oil with a solid additive package.
I will post. I think I might save the money on the first change....Any thought?? I also wonder how the magnetic drain plug will affect the second oil change?? I plan doing the second before road trip to DuQuoin at the end of June.

#13 ·
I
I will post. I think I might save the money on the first change....Any thought?? I also wonder how the magnetic drain plug will affect the second oil change?? I plan doing the second before road trip to DuQuoin at the end of June.
Entirely a person decision. I was more interested in catching any big problems early. Things like leaky head gaskets or crazy wear indicating a bigger problem. For me the analysis gives me peace of mind that my motor is running well.

Is this necessary... Of course not.

#14 ·
Trucker Bob I'd love to see an analysis of the Amsoi 0W40 when it's time to change that out. I bet it is a great oil with a solid additive package.
From what I've seen with other vehicles and the analysis, AMSOIL is fantastic...holds up extremely well. Depending how large this thread gets I will predict that PUP and AMSOIL will dominate in regards to the best results/performance of a motor oil.

Great resource thread. I love these types of threads. Thanks for sharing this info!

#16 ·
I've been an Amsoil fan for years. I don't sell it but I'm a 'preferred customer' which lets me buy direct at dealer pricing.

I call their transmission fluid liquid gold. I use it in my plow truck and it's just amazing stuff. I use many of the products. Air cooled engines, compressor, hydro system, engine oil. I've had VERY good experience with their oils.

For now I'm sticking with approved oils for the Hellcat for warranty reasons. I do think Pennzoil 0W40 and Mobil 1 0W40 are both excellent oils as well.

#19 ·
It would be nice to see others getting analysis with Blackstone. We can watch the averages grow and see trends both on our person vehicles and as a group.

Site says $25 per for the basic that I had but they actually charged me $22.50. I'm not sure why the difference but no big deal either way. Looks like $22.50 and $32.50 with TBN
I'll send mine there from now on.

#21 ·
#22 ·
I hear you. I checked with Amsoil and they don't recommend any of their filters the Eao11 will fit but they had no test data for the HC engine. I will told to use the mopar filter, but I just bought a case of the 0W40. I think the best thing we can do is use magnetic drain plugs. I thought I heard that Mini Copper/BMW just made a big pay out because they stated that you had to get the oil change at the dealer to keep the warranty.Bozo NO NO. If the oil meets the specs it has to be covered by the factory warranty. But the filter... is a different thing, Microns, press relief pop off psi and all of that crap can F/up your Warranty.Oil can't as long as it's in spec.

#23 ·
For reference here is a VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis -- unused sample) of Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 0W40. Figured it would be handy in this thread. Grabbed it from another post on this site.

Here is another virgin oil analysis. There are some differences, which I thought would have been smaller. But without knowing what an upper/lower bound on the consistency in the production quality control process or how often the analysis process is calibrated, it is impossible yo draw any conclusions.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS POST. (I also tend to agree with your points. Also over almost a 3 year spread between the 2 it's possible composition has changed as well. A composition change is rare, because it costs a lot, (because this oil carries true API cert e.g. which would need to be re done) but can happen e.g. when they switch suppliers for any given material, or, for other more intentional reasons.) I do very much appreciate the post having a fresh run helps much.

#25 ·
heres my oil analysis. I waited until 2900 miles before changing the oil. I wanted the bearings to wear in nice and long with the break in metals floating in the oil so Id get a slightly bigger bearing clearance,

loose motors run harder!

Attachments

Reactions: GALTCAT
#27 ·
Yes. All stock.

#34 ·
I'm posting up my latest analysis for anyone interested. I originally was doing some short oil changes to help flush out the higher levels of break-in wear metals with the intention of extending the oil change mileage each time using the analysis for guidance. The third analysis report showed copper and iron were up so this stuff was still flushing out. Right before I put the car away for the season on 12/27 I changed the oil again (wanted to put it away with clean oil and check the oil one more time). It looks like things are flushing out nicely now and all is normal.

The analysis gives me piece of mind.

Attachments

#37 · (Edited)
View attachment 479355 Attached is my first oil analysis. Miles are 5571. Oil had 3667 miles on it. It's Castrol Full Synthetic 0W-40. Copper is a bit elevated but I've seen this on break in with other engines so not a concern. I was surprised by the fuel dilution at 2%, but reading through others here it looks like that is somewhat normal. I'll probably pull a sample in a couple thousand miles and see how it's trending and possibly try to change the oil a little sooner just because of the fuel dilution if it stays.

I use a different lab than the others on this thread.

#38 ·
Hopefully this comes through. My 15 with 27,000 miles on it. only 2700 miles on the oil but I was changing it before winter I think. Disregard their oil additive comments, they completely misread my comments and came up with that. I hadnt added anything to the oil or gas etc.

My car was bought used and prob run very hard with incorrect break-in based on the fact it was one of the first 2015s to hit the dealers and passed between 3 before it was sold, which IMO means lots of burnouts. Testament to the heartyness of this motor. Zero issues in the sample.

My 392 had its oil changed at 1200, will do it again at 5000 and then 10000 and do a UOA then. 0-40 Ultra platinum or Amsoil 0w-40 is what it will get.

Attachments

Reactions: Stewie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.