SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having a recurrent problem with my brand new HC. Haven't found much on net about it though. Seems to be fuel pressure issue but dealership failing to get resolved. Dangerous cause it'll just shut down engine, apply brakes, lock the steering wheel and then, once in park won't come out. First time it happened was on the highway. Very scary. It's been in shop now 7+ total weeks. Might be a lemon, but before throwing in the towel just wanted to see if anyone else experiencing similar issues?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
Applying the brakes???

I haven't heard of it, yours is the first although I'm far from all knowing, others might chime in I'm sure..

Seems unlikely, but maybe you got hacked? It sounds vaguely like the hacks that have been described... But only in a "lab" setting, I haven't heard of anybody actually being hacked in the real world...

:eek:

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,101 Posts
Never heard that one. 7 weeks in shop it's time to through in the towel. Get your white lemon law book out of your car and start the lemon law buyback process immediately.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
Agree, 7 weeks seems out of line... Either get a specific time line of specific correction or give that one up...

·
NYS President
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9,004 Posts
Been having a recurrent problem with my brand new HC. Haven't found much on net about it though. Seems to be fuel pressure issue but dealership failing to get resolved. Dangerous cause it'll just shut down engine, apply brakes, lock the steering wheel and then, once in park won't come out. First time it happened was on the highway. Very scary. It's been in shop now 7+ total weeks. Might be a lemon, but before throwing in the towel just wanted to see if anyone else experiencing similar issues?
Have the contacted a tech line or called SRT about your issues? Maybe dealer could put a co-pilot on it and have you drive it to collect data. It would require you to use a wireless device to do it which is much cheaper then having to go forward with guessing or not fixing it as you say.
I haven't heard or seen any posts on this issue, those types of problems require a lot of time and patience by everyone involved.
What really stinks is that you can't enjoy your brand new hellcat and have the confidence your going to be good.
I know what the peace and happiness my car means to me, it could be seriously diminished if there was issues like yours is having.

I would definitely call SRT and open a case on the vehicle so there is the extra eye on getting your car fixed. The more people that help your dealer, tech and more so you the better off you will be. Maybe even there is a option to bring in a tech advisor the dealer or call in to help you get your car fixed. This is another resource that dealers have from what I have heard. Let us know how you are making out and we all hope your cars get fixed so you can enjoy the car and everything the hellcat In general gives to its owners

Take care and be safe

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,007 Posts
What was the date of your Cat's build? This isn't a 2015 you bought used, was it?

Agree that 7 weeks in the shop is outrageous. Contact SRT/FCA and Lemon Law it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,101 Posts
Im
Been having a recurrent problem with my brand new HC. Haven't found much on net about it though. Seems to be fuel pressure issue but dealership failing to get resolved. Dangerous cause it'll just shut down engine, apply brakes, lock the steering wheel and then, once in park won't come out. First time it happened was on the highway. Very scary. It's been in shop now 7+ total weeks. Might be a lemon, but before throwing in the towel just wanted to see if anyone else experiencing similar issues
I'm telling you to start the lemon law buyback process immediately because that will get faster action and you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. They are in violation of the law. If the shoe was on the other foot and you didn't make your payments how fast would they enforce the law on you? You work hard to buy a nice car and you deserve it. You have as much power as a multibillion dollar company so exercise your rights. I am sick and tired of the little people getting the short end of the stick. That's just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
719 Posts
I'd be on that lemon law in a heartbeat. You need your money back or a replacement car. If that car hasn't been hacked (sounds like the news stories on hacked cars) the whole computer system is honked up. But the part about applying the brakes sure sounds like it's been hacked. I don't think there is any part of the computer system that is programmed to do that.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,409 Posts
First I've heard of this issue. I wonder if you are the target of a hacker?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
Question, are you certain the the brakes were specifically being applied or is there a chance that you were just experiencing the compression of the motor?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate all the comments. Started a SRT ticket a few weeks ago. They "elevated" my case twice and involved HQ engineers to work with my dealer. Case recently elevated again to someone in Dallas at FCA with a direct line to her. Wonderful to have a direct line.....except she never answers the phone so I leave messages, and she calls back a day or two and sometimes 3 later and leaves me a message. Seems that she only works 3 days a week. Therefore, I agree...it's time for FCA to cough up a new car or refund the cost. Really just want a brand new one....had a HC symbol engraved in my new garage floor where I park her.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,101 Posts
Appreciate all the comments. Started a SRT ticket a few weeks ago. They "elevated" my case twice and involved HQ engineers to work with my dealer. Case recently elevated again to someone in Dallas at FCA with a direct line to her. Wonderful to have a direct line.....except she never answers the phone so I leave messages, and she calls back a day or two and sometimes 3 later and leaves me a message. Seems that she only works 3 days a week. Therefore, I agree...it's time for FCA to cough up a new car or refund the cost. Really just want a brand new one....had a HC symbol engraved in my new garage floor where I park her.
Try for a refund. The price of new hellcat's are dropping as many dealers in my area have 5,6 and even 7 unsold cats on their lots now. I know one taking 5k off msrp

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,671 Posts
Is the steering wheel locked, or just difficult to turn because the engine quit? I also don't understand the brakes applying by themselves. There no mechanism to do that unless you have front collision avoidance which is not available on the Hellcat.

I agree go for a refund or replacement. You've been more than patient.

·
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,014 Posts
Definitely not common but I seem to recall somebody else having an issue with their cat just dying like that a while back (maybe a year or so ago). Try the search. I'll do same and if I come across anything I'll post a link here.

·
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,014 Posts
I found one thread but it's useless. Car was a 392 and the OP never posted any follow ups on what the outcome was....

Reactions: Red Harley

·
Banned
Challenger SRT Hellcat
187 Posts
Only happened once on my scat pack.....it was scary, but thankfully I was coming to a stop already and was on a street not highway.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
291 Posts
I'd be on that lemon law in a heartbeat. You need your money back or a replacement car. If that car hasn't been hacked (sounds like the news stories on hacked cars) the whole computer system is honked up. But the part about applying the brakes sure sounds like it's been hacked. I don't think there is any part of the computer system that is programmed to do that.
Is the steering wheel locked, or just difficult to turn because the engine quit? I also don't understand the brakes applying by themselves. There no mechanism to do that unless you have front collision avoidance which is not available on the Hellcat.

I agree go for a refund or replacement. You've been more than patient.
Guys I can see some sort of weird computer issue applying the brakes. It's my understanding the car applies the breaks with the Hill Assist System as well as the Adaptive Cruise Control. Bad line of code somewhere. The question is which of the dozens of computer chips or RAM are the problem.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
257 Posts
I agree, process the lemon law ASAP.

Also - Back charge them for a rental car for 7 weeks. Regardless if the Cat is your daily driver or not. The little guy always gets screwed, send them a misc fee too, just like we get on all the goods and services we are forced to buy to survive,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts