SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i 'think' i can smell coolant when i have my ventilation system on.......i also 'think' i could smell it a few times when i walked in front of the car....other times i cant smell it............im not sure if im smelling the new duct work or a coolant leak....

that being said.....noticed tonight while driving the HC around that the temp goes up and down.....when driving its below the center mark....when sitting at idle for long stop lights i see it go a bit over the 1/2 way mark.....is this normal?.......at long idle it does stop rising a bit over the 1/2 way point.....im just not used to seeing any fluctuation during normal around town driving...its 70 degrees here today

my coolant level looks just fine in the storage reservoir.....so its not like im low on coolant

notice when the car is turned off there's TONS of heat coming out of the hood scoop and extractors...yet the center of the hood is cool to the touch

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,168 Posts
HT look at the performance page - gauge one. My coolant temp stays between 199-203. The oil temp on mine can vary a bunch when the car is run hard. But that coolant temp has been pretty steady, see what that looks like on yours. The dial on the side is near worthless.

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,141 Posts
If you can smell it, you have a leak somewhere. After a decent drive, park it, pop the hood and get in there with a flashlight and hunt for it.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,854 Posts
If you can smell it, you have a leak somewhere. After a decent drive, park it, pop the hood and get in there with a flashlight and hunt for it.
That doesn't work on a very slow leak if at the engine as the heat burns it off. For that it needs to be cold and a coolant pressure tester used

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,084 Posts
I noticed, being from Illinois the the coolant and oil temps do go up now because we have the weather warming up. The temp will go up a bit on idle and when your moving it goes down because of the air flow.
Mine sitting in traffic bumped up to 226 but then went to 218 when I got moving. The longer your moving everything goes down further.
As for the hood they designed it that way, the hot air goes out the heat extractors and the center scoop is like a funnel so cooler air can come in and cool the top of the supercharger.
As for the coolant smell, watch to see if when sitting any drops are on the ground. It could be from the motor heating up, some gases come out of the over flow tube on the coolant over flow tank.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,103 Posts
You're not seeing things huggytree, it happens to me too the idle then temp rises above the center mark so it's normal. It goes away fast as soon as I start driving and seconds later it drops below the center mark. When turned off it dissipates a lot of heat for me too.

·
SSDD
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,478 Posts
My 08 was annoying in Florida before the 180-185 thermostat swap and fan temp settings change. No need for an engine to get that hot. All these electronics and sensors and the thing can't figure you're stopped at zero mph and kick on the fans. Instead it sits there and cooks itself.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
793 Posts
You definitely have a leak somewhere, same exact thing as you describe happened to my Pontiac G8 GT. Although, with my G8, it was the head gaskets causing combustion gases to seep into the coolant, causing it to overflow out of the overflow o_O

You definitely don't have that problem, but there is certainly a leak somewhere and the fact that the temp does that when you stop means you are a bit low on coolant. Check all your coolant lines and radiator hoses.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,168 Posts
I noticed, being from Illinois the the coolant and oil temps do go up now because we have the weather warming up. The temp will go up a bit on idle and when your moving it goes down because of the air flow.
Mine sitting in traffic bumped up to 226 but then went to 218 when I got moving. The longer your moving everything goes down further.
As for the hood they designed it that way, the hot air goes out the heat extractors and the center scoop is like a funnel so cooler air can come in and cool the top of the supercharger.
As for the coolant smell, watch to see if when sitting any drops are on the ground. It could be from the motor heating up, some gases come out of the over flow tube on the coolant over flow tank.
That don't sound right. I would watch that one also. Monday near southern Iowa, 80 degrees running the hell out of it, idle, cruise it don't matter my coolant does not show that much deviation on the coolant gauge. Oil temp yes, coolant no. Think about it ...27 degree coolant temp deviation?? 199-226

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,080 Posts
Wasn't there a possible issue with one of the o-rings in the SC that was causing a very slow leak.
I believe it was allowing coolant to get into one of the cylinders

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,800 Posts
I know, it was a bulletin, but they called it "recall" on the invoice.. they had told me about it when i went in a few weeks ago for oil change, then called me when the part came in. Installed my MT drag radials at the same time. Just thought maybe it was the possible reason for the OP complaint.
I'm sure I will be doing his

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.