SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some posts of the muffler delete and some owners losing boost.
Would a tune rectify this?

Also, anyone else with aftermarket exhaust mods see any boost loss?

I'm looking at swapping out my mids for FM Outlaws.

·
Banned
Charger SRT Hellcat
879 Posts
I'm thinking the important thing is pressure differential and not the pounds of boost. If the exhaust is reducing the cylinder pressure, less boost is required to move the same amount of air.

·
Banned
Charger SRT Hellcat
879 Posts
The highest discharge pressure a pump can acheive is when it is dead headed.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the only way to know of any real change is to dyno before and after really.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,257 Posts
I guess the only way to know of any real change is to dyno before and after really.
I just had the Flowmaster Outlaw Cat-back system installed on mine and the butt dyno can't tell a difference, but I freaking love the way it sounds, and I personally like the dual tip look on each side, which it also gives me.

Honestly, the only way I will ever get the full HP and torque benefit of all this stuff is to do a pulley swap and a custom tune anyway. That is probably inevitable for me.

***A caution note on the Outlaw exhaust valve simulator piece... was a ***** to get working right, at least for me. It has taken many tries and tricks, but I finally have it to where it is not throwing codes for the valve actuation. Flowmaster's instructions and online video help some, but the valve simulator install piece is not exactly intuitive, to say the least.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard the other catback (American Thunder I think) on a Cat here locally and my nipples made a fist. I can only imagine the Outlaw system. I love the tips. I ordered Outlaw mufflers because I wanted to keep the active valve system and the Flowmaster video looked like one too many steps for me.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,257 Posts
Sounds like a good conservative approach. The exhaust already sounds great stock.

I just wanted dual tips and even more rumble. It is now loud as *******. A cold start scares people behind the car not expecting it.

However, if I had known how tricky the valve simulators would be, I may not have bought the whole cat-back, buts it's all good and done now with no issues.

Tips can always be changed at your local muffler shop too for mush less $ and hassle.

Are the outlaw mufflers the same as the ones on the outlaw catback? Basically just slightly wider piping?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
226 Posts
Don't ever worry about losing boost = lower HP unless you are turbo and using a boost controller. Less boost with no changes to engine/cam/top end, meaning a bolt on changed boost level means you have a more efficient engine and the less boost the less pressure on everything which is a good thing. Air flow and boost pressure are not identical just like voltage and current. One is potential energy and one is actual energy flow.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
988 Posts
I heard the other catback (American Thunder I think) on a Cat here locally and my nipples made a fist. I can only imagine the Outlaw system. I love the tips. I ordered Outlaw mufflers because I wanted to keep the active valve system and the Flowmaster video looked like one too many steps for me.
I did something similar. I bought the flowmaster super10's( there most aggressive muffler). Thought it would be perfect with the stock resonators. Just a Tad more volume and some flowmaster bass. Haven't received them yet but eager to get them on.
I think the American thunder cat back would be perfect, love the sound and volume .... but I can't justify replacing an already great exhaust. I like everything about the stocker. Only reason why I'm doing the mid muffler swap for the super10's is because I want that flowmaster sound that I love so much...

Oh and although the outlaw system maybe for some. I find it way obnoxiously loud and to raspy..

To the original poster. I'm not sure why some claim there loosing boost but everyone I've talked to that has done the mid muffler delete is seeing 10-11 psi, just like stock.....and I've talked to quite a few cause I been knocking my head back and fourth about doing it....

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,257 Posts
I did something similar. I bought the flowmaster super10's( there most aggressive muffler). Thought it would be perfect with the stock resonators. Just a Tad more volume and some flowmaster bass. Haven't received them yet but eager to get them on.
I think the American thunder cat back would be perfect, love the sound and volume .... but I can't justify replacing an already great exhaust. I like everything about the stocker. Only reason why I'm doing the mid muffler swap for the super10's is because I want that flowmaster sound that I love so much...

Oh and although the outlaw system maybe for some. I find it way obnoxiously loud and to raspy..

To the original poster. I'm not sure why some claim there loosing boost but everyone I've talked to that has done the mid muffler delete is seeing 10-11 psi, just like stock.....and I've talked to quite a few cause I been knocking my head back and fourth about doing it....
I would not say mine sounds raspy. I had an M4 for a bit and that exhaust was raspy with the twin turbo 6. ...but obnoxiously loud is about right when describing the outlaw. It sounds almost like an off-road cat-less system.

So with that said, if your Cat is your daily driver, I would not get the Outlaw catback. I would either get the American thunder or modify the stock exhaust to your liking by deleting the mufflers and getting the tips you like at your local muffler shop.

My Jeep is my daily driver, so I went with the outlaw since my Hellcat is a hobby car. Very happy with it for that purpose.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
988 Posts
I would not say mine sounds raspy. I had an M4 for a bit and that exhaust was raspy with the twin turbo 6. ...but obnoxiously loud is about right when describing the outlaw. It sounds almost like an off-road cat-less system.

So with that said, if your Cat is your daily driver, I would not get the Outlaw catback. I would either get the American thunder or modify the stock exhaust to your liking by deleting the mufflers and getting the tips you like at your local muffler shop.

My Jeep is my daily driver, so I went with the outlaw since my Hellcat is a hobby car. Very happy with it for that purpose.
Everyone likes what they like. Exhaust sound is in the ear of the beholder. Glad your happy.
Mine isn't my daily driver either. I have 2 other vehicles.
I'm just over the loud obnoxious exhausts. Been there, done that (maybe cause I turned 40 this year, Lol... ) I want moderate? Maybe a little more then stock, but definitely deep and bassy.
Enjoy.......

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,257 Posts
Everyone likes what they like. Exhaust sound is in the ear of the beholder. Glad your happy.
Mine isn't my daily driver either. I have 2 other vehicles.
I'm just over the loud obnoxious exhausts. Been there, done that (maybe cause I turned 40 this year, Lol... ) I want moderate? Maybe a little more then stock, but definitely deep and bassy.
Enjoy.......
Crap. So in a little over a year (when I turn 40), I might not like it anymore.:(

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
167 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, replace mufflers with FM 10's. But I am 50 instead of 40, so I even thought about replacing the stock mufflers with Super 40's. FM says they give the deepest notes?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
988 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, replace mufflers with FM 10's. But I am 50 instead of 40, so I even thought about replacing the stock mufflers with Super 40's. FM says they give the deepest notes?
I talked to two tecs at flowmaster just recently before getting my 10's.
They both said the same thing. The super 40's and 44's are a great and a aggressive muffler, very popular!
But are deepest and most aggressive flowmaster muffler is the super 10's.
Now he did say it's close but thats what I was told anyways.

I want there most aggressive though cause I'm leaving the stock resonators in place. So I think this will be just perfect. Flowmaster sound with a Tad more volume then stock and some deeper bass.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts