SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer is going to replace both front calipers on my redeye due to vibrations and they don’t have an ETA yet on an order placed over 2 weeks ago. The pandemic appears to have backlogged a lot of repairs.

Anyone else waiting on parts for repair? How long have you been waiting?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
934 Posts
I order parts from Steve White parts. My Ram needed to have the rear window replaced. I called Steve White and they were able to locate it for me. So I would use that as an option as well.

It seems like dealers are happy submitting an order and wait forever when they can also locate the parts in another dealer's stock.

Reactions: BrakeFade

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,091 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
588 Posts
vibration during braking
Vibrations while applying the brake pedal is usually warped rotors, usually caused by impact wrenches and not properly torqueing the lug nuts with a torque wrench. If there is no vibration just rolling down the road (no brake apply), that means the calipers are relaxed and off the rotor as designed per the below.

Can't blame the calipers without doing these checks first.

1. A brake event is two halves; the brake pedal apply and the release. Visually watch what the calipers are doing during both halves; do not skip this step.
2. After brake pedal release, can you spin the front rotors within 1 or 2 seconds??
3. After release, there should be approximately .030" clearance between each disc pad (inner and outer) and the rotor. Many times, this clearance is visible to the naked eye.
4. If you can spin the rotor freely and the clearance is there, it's NOT the calipers or bad master cylinder or overfilled master cylinder or trapped brake fluid or bad brake hose or ABS modulator or anything that would keep the caliper from releasing/relaxing after a brake apply event.
5. If you spin the rotors and you hear the pads hit and miss on the rotors, the rotors are most likely warped.
6. Do runout tests on the rotors. Total lateral runout max is only .001" or .002"

My guess is the calipers will pass the above tests and don't need calipers.

Let us know...

Best!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,948 Posts
My dealer is going to replace both front calipers on my redeye due to vibrations and they don’t have an ETA yet on an order placed over 2 weeks ago. The pandemic appears to have backlogged a lot of repairs.

Anyone else waiting on parts for repair? How long have you been waiting?
A new radio was ordered for my Hellcat. The radio came in in less than 2 weeks. Kind of surprised me. I feared a months long wait.

That the car factories were shut down and not building car also forced parts suppliers to idle their factories. As factories open again obviously parts will be needed. I suspect that the vast majority of parts are being used to build new cars. Just a few are diverted to satisfy repair needs.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger Hellcat
74 Posts
I've got both front door inserts on order through the dealership due to the pulling away from the window issue. It's been a month so far and no ETA on them yet. I think I read somewhere it could take up to 6 months..

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vibrations while applying the brake pedal is usually warped rotors, usually caused by impact wrenches and not properly torqueing the lug nuts with a torque wrench. If there is no vibration just rolling down the road (no brake apply), that means the calipers are relaxed and off the rotor as designed per the below.

Can't blame the calipers without doing these checks first.

1. A brake event is two halves; the brake pedal apply and the release. Visually watch what the calipers are doing during both halves; do not skip this step.
2. After brake pedal release, can you spin the front rotors within 1 or 2 seconds??
3. After release, there should be approximately .030" clearance between each disc pad (inner and outer) and the rotor. Many times, this clearance is visible to the naked eye.
4. If you can spin the rotor freely and the clearance is there, it's NOT the calipers or bad master cylinder or overfilled master cylinder or trapped brake fluid or bad brake hose or ABS modulator or anything that would keep the caliper from releasing/relaxing after a brake apply event.
5. If you spin the rotors and you hear the pads hit and miss on the rotors, the rotors are most likely warped.
6. Do runout tests on the rotors. Total lateral runout max is only .001" or .002"

My guess is the calipers will pass the above tests and don't need calipers.

Let us know...

Best!
Rotors and pads are also being replaced. My initial thought was rotors were warped but apparently something didn’t check out so they went with a full replacement including the caliper.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
851 Posts
to answer the original question (lol), I had an oil cooler line bust. The part was 4 hours north. It took them 3 days to diagnose, once ordered, they were supposed to have it next day and it took them 4 days. Hope this helps

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
588 Posts
Rotors and pads are also being replaced. My initial thought was rotors were warped but apparently something didn’t check out so they went with a full replacement including the caliper.
Am curious what the "something didn't check out" is and how they got there.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Am curious what the "something didn't check out" is and how they got there.
I’ve never replaced a caliper in all of my years of working on vehicles but I’m not going to complain in this situation. I’ll take it every time.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
588 Posts
I’ve never replaced a caliper in all of my years of working on vehicles but I’m not going to complain in this situation. I’ll take it if every time.
Exactly.... unless there is some diagnostics and those items checked off, parts are being thrown at your car.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got both front door inserts on order through the dealership due to the pulling away from the window issue. It's been a month so far and no ETA on them yet. I think I read somewhere it could take up to 6 months..
Yikes. I was afraid it could take months. I shot a message to DodgeCares. Maybe I’ll get a response..

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A new radio was ordered for my Hellcat. The radio came in in less than 2 weeks. Kind of surprised me. I feared a months long wait.

That the car factories were shut down and not building car also forced parts suppliers to idle their factories. As factories open again obviously parts will be needed. I suspect that the vast majority of parts are being used to build new cars. Just a few are diverted to satisfy repair needs.
How long ago did you get it swapped?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,948 Posts
How long ago did you get it swapped?
Had new radio installed July 13. That a new radio was needed was confirmed 6/16 and ordered that day.

Visited the dealer parts department for another reason but checked on the radio. Was told it had arrived. Asked why I was not called to let me know. Was told the service receptionist who would have called had left her job and so far the dealer had not filled it.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, eta on my calipers was 8/3 and of course they didn’t show up. Now they’re saying 8/11. How frustrating....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts