SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to the strip for the first time this week(racing, not spectating). Racing a guy at work who has an 01' Silverado(Turbo, headers,cam). Says he will beat me because I won't be able to put the power to the ground. I have 18x10 Bravado Rims wrapped in MT 305/45/18 ET Street R's. No idea what to really expect, nor am I sure what psi to run in the rear.

·
Senior Demon Member
Challenger SRT Demon
781 Posts
Run the rears about 20 psi. Launch in 2nd gear, or with launch mode. Use auto not manual. Shift to second after staging. I ran 11.3 with Nitto 295 555's.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,252 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,391 Posts
You'll have no problem launching the car. Leaving in first off idle after a Smokey burnout will give you a solid first launch on those tires. Adjust from there.

If your on stock driveshaft don't temp faith and launch easy.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,252 Posts
MT only need a shorter burnout compared to nittos 555s.
Over kill on the MTs burnouts will turn them to slicks and you will blow off the tires.

When you go though the burn out box it is important to be sure you are COMPLETELY out of the water box.
Turn your side mirror down so you can see the smoke.
When smoke appears roll out.
And line up at the light.

Linda:)

·
Registered
2020 SRT SUPER STOCK HELLRAISIN
3,609 Posts
Heading to the strip for the first time this week(racing, not spectating). Racing a guy at work who has an 01' Silverado(Turbo, headers,cam). Says he will beat me because I won't be able to put the power to the ground. I have 18x10 Bravado Rims wrapped in MT 305/45/18 ET Street R's. No idea what to really expect, nor am I sure what psi to run in the rear.
Look, I have no idea what your track is like. But you MUST get a decent burnout for your first pass of the day. Also, right on the MT web site they recommend 12 to 16 psi for that tire. Sure it will be faster if you run 18 psi, IF IT HOOKS. This is not a time to experiment because that Guy is right. He is going to put you down if you fool around.

I recommend starting at 14 psi for your first pass and do a good solid burnout. The car will handle fine. I do my burnout in second gear manual and I stand on it and bring the RPM up fast and then maintain about 5500-6000 rpm. If you dead hook on the first pass , then I would read the pressures and equalize them right after you get back from running. They are probably going to be around 15.5 psi. If your track preps really good with the good traction compound you can experiment with something like 16-17 psi before the first pass.

This is the burnout that I recommend. This is second gear and the duration is perfect for your first pass of the day. You can also try and cut the burnout back another time. But not before your first pass that is a grudge race. If you are having trouble try a full tank of gas and add about 50 pounds of weight in the trunk.

·
Banned
Challenger SRT Hellcat
992 Posts
I went to slicks at 18lbs so no problems at all for me. Ease out of waterbox, 4 second burnout, let off, tires chirp, and its game on.
Drag radials is hard to give advice on. A lot depends on track prep, burn out time, type of drag radial, and pressures. You will have to play around with a few things to dial them in for consistent passes.

Just go out and have fun on your first go round and dont expect to get great launches. The more you go and getting more seat time for consistency thereafter is the challenge.

Best of luck to you!! :)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
4,069 Posts
If it's not for money, who cares in the end. Experiment with all these methods, find the one that works best for you. Not like you're going to die or lose the house if you don't torch this guy. Personally, unless he's really putting down the power, I'd be surprised if that pick up could easily smoke you. Me personally - get to know your tires and track. Some combos need a good heating, some don't. Also, is this your first drag pass ever, or just in the HC? Running big wide MTs makes me think this isn't your first rodeo. Good luck, but remember the purpose is to have fun.

LR

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
440 Posts
Sorry I don't have any advice for you as I'm new to dragging this car as well.

I just wanted to say, and assuming he started all the sh*t talking to begin with, whoop his butt! Seems like every pickup out there, including the wonderful Duramax guys, really want to race a Hellcat. The only ones that don't want to race are the guys who bought a truck to actually use as a truck (i.e. Farmers, company vehicles, etc)

I think your best bet is to find a test & tune night and sneak over to the strip for some practice. That'll give you a chance to try out all of the advice everybody else mentioned, and also get you more comfortable and confident.

Does his 01 Silverado still have fenders and rockers? They were gone on my 01 a decade ago...I just assumed it was Chevy's way of shaving weight.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,215 Posts
My brother has an '09 Silverado... built 5.3 with 76mm turbo, meth, and cam... He has been 11.8 this year.. On the highway I gap him pretty bad, but if you can't get out of the hole a turbo 4x4 might put up a fight on the big end.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,252 Posts
Did this race happen or something else happen?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
66 Posts
Run the rears about 20 psi. Launch in 2nd gear, or with launch mode. Use auto not manual. Shift to second after staging. I ran 11.3 with Nitto 295 555's.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
How do you launch in 2nd gear? In autostick mode? Or just upshift with paddle shifters at the jump and let it change gears it's self after?

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
TrueAthlete, has this race taken place? Have you made a run and how did you car launch? There sure are a lot of different methods for launching the 4400 lb Hellcat. I would use a method that has resulted in the best 60' times. I also have the MT 305-45-18 Radials. They flat out hook! Linda is right 16-18 lbs works for me. That said, track prep, DA, SRT settings and driver skill all have an impact on your 60' times. IMO, A good 60' would be between 1.55 and 1.60... practice, practice and then practice some more!

Good Luck, keep us informed...

Reactions: Linda's Hell Cat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did this race happen or something else happen?

I ran 11.5 with just drag radials. Guy ran a 13.5 but only ran 5 lbs of boost due to the fact that he didn't want to blow the trans. Currently installing a beefed up trans, so he can run 15-20 lbs of boost. Next race will be end of September

1 - 20 of 24 Posts