SRT Hellcat Forum banner

First Oil Change today at 3141 miles

1078 28
Today is 2 weeks short of my first 6 months of Hellcat ownership, so I booked my Hellcat in for its first 6,000 mile / 6 month service.

I bought the car new (12 miles on it) from Unity Automotive in Leicester unity automotive leicester uk - Google Search and the car is covered by a 3 year warranty via the "semi-official" UK / European importer, and Unity will service the car to maintain the warranty.

It's not cheap owning a Dodge in the UK for sure! £385 for an Oil & Filter service - over $450 USD at today's exchange rate. Over half of that cost is the price of the oil, which has to be the Penzoil Ultra and can't be anything else. It isnt sold in the UK officially, so has to be imported. I bought a small 1 Litre bottle a few months ago for top upsand that cost me around $50, so I think they have been very reasonable.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Back again in either 6 months or 6,000 miles again!
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just had mine done for $105 and I was surprised. It was a bargain compared to what I have to pay for an oil change for my BMW X5 ($160). When I owned a 5.7L Challenger, full synthetic oil changes were about $60.

I can't wait to have my own garage so I can do some of this work myself.
Good to hear that others also go to the dealer as well for oil changes. I'm mechanically minded and have done oil changes myself of some other cars I've owned, but I just don't have the space at our house. I have a driveway that I park on, but it's not the easiest to work on, and I don't have a lift etc. I suppose I could jack up the front end and do it, but it's just easier to get the dealer to do it. As a new caer with a 3 year warranty, it's not worth the hassle of not having a full paper trail.

The dealer was great to be honest, they took a lof of care of the car, and I couldn't get the oil much cheaper myself. The labour cost worked out to about £50 per hour for 2 hours, and they did a OBD2 port recall and update check as well.

It's the only brand new car I've ever owned, I'm happy for full service on this one!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good to hear that others also go to the dealer as well for oil changes. I'm mechanically minded and have done oil changes myself of some other cars I've owned, but I just don't have the space at our house. I have a driveway that I park on, but it's not the easiest to work on, and I don't have a lift etc. I suppose I could jack up the front end and do it, but it's just easier to get the dealer to do it. As a new caer with a 3 year warranty, it's not worth the hassle of not having a full paper trail.

The dealer was great to be honest, they took a lof of care of the car, and I couldn't get the oil much cheaper myself. The labour cost worked out to about £50 per hour for 2 hours, and they did a OBD2 port recall and update check as well.

It's the only brand new car I've ever owned, I'm happy for full service on this one!
As someone else pointed out, the multi point inspection, recall check, etc are well worth the $20-30 you’re paying in labor for the oil change. My time is worth significantly more than that and I don’t have the expertise to perform that check myself. Nice to know the cat is healthy!

·
Registered
247 Posts
As someone else pointed out, the multi point inspection, recall check, etc are well worth the $20-30 you’re paying in labor for the oil change. My time is worth significantly more than that and I don’t have the expertise to perform that check myself. Nice to know the cat is healthy!
That's assuming they actually even do those things...

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT M6 Hellcat
938 Posts
Good to hear that others also go to the dealer as well for oil changes. I'm mechanically minded and have done oil changes myself of some other cars I've owned, but I just don't have the space at our house. I have a driveway that I park on, but it's not the easiest to work on, and I don't have a lift
Where I currently rent, the driveway is sloped and the angle makes it impractical (and a little anxious, even with the wheels securely chocked) to conduct a simple oil change. I also have to deal with an HOA (Homeowners Association) with strict rules forbidding most automotive repair and maintenance outside of the garage (even then, garage doors must be kept close while working on the car!). The garage itself is occupied with another vehicle along with an overload of storage cabinets that make even an oil change or a tire rotation a hassle.

I'm looking forward to buying my own home next year with a completely empty, two-car garage, flat driveway, and no HOA!

·
Registered
2022 Challenger Jail Break
2,045 Posts
I can see in your current spot the dealer is the best choice. Just make sure those tools don’t damage your car.

That’s actually the main reason I never bring mine in; they don’t take care of it like I will.

I’m sure 90% of the time yoir fine but I’ve had other vehicles damaged at a shop before. Scratched wheels, dirty stains, broken fasteners, etc.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,486 Posts
Where I currently rent, the driveway is sloped and the angle makes it impractical (and a little anxious, even with the wheels securely chocked) to conduct a simple oil change. I also have to deal with an HOA...
That angle would work to your advantage if you back up the driveway and then drive forwards, up on the ramps.

HOAs? Yes, they can be a pain. Yet I managed to change a transmission in the driveway once, when temporarily living within such a miserable zone. Can't imagine that nobody noticed, but at least nobody said anything.

• Wow
Reactions: Reaperhwk

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT M6 Hellcat
938 Posts
HOAs? Yes, they can be a pain. Yet I managed to change a transmission in the driveway once, when temporarily living within such a miserable zone. Can't imagine that nobody noticed, but at least nobody said anything.
My landlord was actually cited by the HOA because I changed the oil partly on the driveway the first year I lived there. I'm not sure who their spies are, but I suspect it's this one older couple who constantly take walks around the neighborhood... :cautious:

·
Registered
2022 Challenger Jail Break
2,045 Posts
That angle would work to your advantage if you back up the driveway and then drive forwards, up on the ramps.

Hellcat drain plug is on the rear of the pan. With the front higher the oil actually drains better anyway. No need to have it level. Just fill it with 6.5 qts and then move it to a spot on the street that’s level and top it off.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts