SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Float charger for battery

9344 Views 29 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Baxter
Need opinions or facts if it is ok to use a float charger on the battery and have it hooked up, then close the trunk? Any risk of explosion or fire due to the battery being in an enclosed area? I'm wondering if you can connect the float charger to the jumper terminals under the hood and if that would be safer? Not sure if that would work or not, maybe just keep the trunk open? Then I'd have to see if the trunk light would just time out.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
I don't see an issue with putting a float charger on your car in the trunk, as the battery is in there already..
That's what I'm thinking too. It's only .5 amp and right now the batt. Is fully charged. Shouldn't be a problem.
A lot of these cars sat for a few months outside in storage, and had no issue with the battery, mines in a heated garage, so I'm on the fence about the battery tender
I will be hooking mine up under the hood. That way I can set the battery tender outside the car and see it
A lot of these cars sat for a few months outside in storage, and had no issue with the battery, mines in a heated garage, so I'm on the fence about the battery tender
I have a Chevy truck that sits outside and always had an issue with the battery losing charge, sometimes I won't drive it for weeks, so after I replaced the battery, I got the harbor freight float charger and use that on the truck, now I never have an issue with the battery going dead, so my logic is the same with the cat, although I will be driving the cat mostly on weekends, and using my other car for commuting during the week. Don't really know if the float is needed in this scenario, but I figure it can't hurt.
I will be hooking mine up under the hood. That way I can set the battery tender outside the car and see it
The thing is that this float charger (from harbor freight) says to keep it within 3 feet of the battery. I'm not really sure this is necessary, I thought about connecting it under the hood but am not sure if it will work properly that way. It has a box with a red LED and I wonder if that needs to be within close proximity of the actual battery, in order to turn off when the battery is fully charged. Not sure.
I have one on my SRT-8 right now in my enclosed trailer
I have hooked them up both ways ( under the hood last season)
direct in the trunk this season, because I am not sure what day I will have to drive it into the dealer for my trade.
Since its locked inside my enclosed trailer, I did not shut the trunk lid all the way. Its closed but not latched.
The thing is that this float charger (from harbor freight) says to keep it within 3 feet of the battery. I'm not really sure this is necessary, I thought about connecting it under the hood but am not sure if it will work properly that way. It has a box with a red LED and I wonder if that needs to be within close proximity of the actual battery, in order to turn off when the battery is fully charged. Not sure.
This is from a Prowler site I am on. Sure looks like you get what you pay for!

It's been getting cold here in Texas and a few weeks ago I made sure everything with a battery had a tender on it. I guess I got one of the cheap Harbor Tools Tenders mixed up with the ones for the cars. Checked the Purple car inside the small enclosed trailer and found this the other day!

See less See more
This is what I use and have had no issues with them. $50

See less See more
I got mine hooked to the terminals under the hood
Reactions: 1

I have eight of these, they work great, I have mine sitting in the trunk with the circle leads attached to the battery. Just plug and play.
For those of you in climates that get below freezing and stay there, putting a trickle charger like the one above also has the added advantage of keeping the battery from freezing. I have one on a generator at our cabin. Gets into the teens in the winter and stays there for weeks. Never had a problem with the battery as long as I have the trickle charger on it.

Same brand I use, except mine is one of the bigger dual lead ones....think I paid a bit more. I live in the same area as
magnummrk, and I've had zero issues with either car after being plugged in the entire winter. I normally just fail the trunk latch so the light goes out and keep the trunk open. But I'm sure you could carefully close the trunk too and not have any issues.
I do the trunk latch trick too. Just take a screwdriver and flip it into the lock postion with the lid open. Then you can leave it up if needed or just lower it down.
I do the trunk latch trick too. Just take a screwdriver and flip it into the lock postion with the lid open. Then you can leave it up if needed or just lower it down.
Right! But DON'T SLAM IT DOWN....unless you've released the latch first!! lol
Right! But DON'T SLAM IT DOWN....unless you've released the latch first!! lol
I leave the screwdriver in the lock. Then when I go to close it I go "Why is there a screwdriver in there?..Oh yeah"
A couple years ago I bought the WeatherTech battery tender. I hook it up under the hood. (Use mainly on 2005 Magnum)

I have about a dozen of these including the ones with a bank of four chargers built in. Never had a battery problem. I have a heated garage (in NJ) but each vehicle gets a "trickle" when not in use. Cheapest place I found to buy them is on Amazon.

As an FYI - the 2015 Corvette has a charging port in the side of the trunk that looks like a cigarette lighter so you do need the special Vette trickle charger. And when you lower the "hatch back" and leave it open about an inch, the interior light goes out after a minute or so. Come on FCA, get with the program!!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.