SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Force Majorie?

3650 Views 62 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  JMAbacus
So my 22 jailbreak was built a little less then a month ago and has been going through the different rail yards and CSX the shipping company had finally got it to ship but after 13 days sitting with them my dealer is telling me that the car is showing force majorie? They are saying the company released the car back to Chrysler cause there is an issue? Anyone know what’s up?
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Not necessarily hurt. Just disappointed that a company can have these expensive vehicles and can’t even build them correctly or deliver them correctly. Ordered 1 car in April and another in June. Neither one is here
April? How about having ordered it in JANUARY as I did. It was built weeks ago and is now in Eternal Transportation Mode. I am so tempted to go on a political rant but won’t even bother.……
At this point I couldn’t care any less if I ever receive the damn thing. This is just a taste of worse things to come if the situation in this country does change (and fast).

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
April? How about having ordered it in JANUARY as I did. It was built weeks ago and is now in Eternal Transportation Mode. I am so tempted to go on a political rant but won’t even bother.……
At this point I couldn’t care any less if I ever receive the damn thing. This is just a taste of worse things to come if the situation in this country does change (and fast).
Wow January is crazy. You’re in the same boat I am force majuere stuff? It’s ridiculous what’s happening right now

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,209 Posts
Interesting, I have a simple question. @Michael 26, was there a Force Majeure clause in the contract YOU signed with the DEALER? Notwithstanding the dealer may have a Force Majeure clause in his agreement with shipper(s).

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,209 Posts
I have not signed any contract with the dealer
There you go! Nice work. Of course I thought so, never seen it on a Purchase Agreement. Tell that dealer you did not agree to any Force Majeure clause, and you want the vehicle as per your agreement. See how that works. Good luck, sir. Leave it at that, no other discussion required. See what happens.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
There you go! Nice work. Of course I thought so, never seen it on a Purchase Agreement. Tell that dealer you did not agree to any Force Majeure clause, and you want the vehicle as per your agreement. See how that works. Good luck, sir. Leave it at that, no other discussion required. See what happens.
Got it. Will tell them and see what happens

· Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody (destroyer grey)
586 Posts
In a legal sense, a “force majeure” is also called an “act of God” clause. It allows for a contracting party to breach a contract with the other party for price increases or impossibility of performance due to reasons outside of the contracting parties control.

Riots, strikes, natural disasters, Covid-19, etc. are all forms of acts of God that would allow the shipping company to repudiate the contract and allow them to be excused from performance.

I would imagine that Dodge will have to renegotiate the shipping contract and get the vehicle to you. Hang in there bro, at least your car is built!
Wonder if his dealer could setup a local car shipper company to pick up his car (he may have to cover the cost) instead of waiting on Dodge to get things resolved?

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
63 Posts
The problem is not here, its in other countries like China. China is still fighting covid and they close factories every day trying to stop this problem. They live on top of each other so they still have a big problem. Thanks to the chip problem, heated and vented seats and steering wheel and not an option on my 2023.

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,190 Posts
I am actually wondering if I can go pick the car up myself. Don’t know how that works with the dealer though
Be careful.

I'm trying to buy a new car in CO. I live in AR. CO dealer said it would charge me sales tax.That's weird. I have bought 3 new vehicles in AR and not even the AR dealers collected sales tax. I went to the local Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) and with the paperwork from the dealer paid sales tax, surrendered the manufacturer's title, registered the new vehicle, then waited some days (in one cases almost 30 days) for the AR title to arrive.

I contacted the DFA/DMV here in AR and asked:

I am planning on buying a new car in Colorado. The Colorado dealer says it will collect the sales tax, it will use the sales tax rate in effect for where I live in AR. It will collect this from me and send it to AR.

What do I need from the dealer to show that I paid the sales tax that will satisfy the DFA so the DFA will not try to collect sales tax from me so I can proceed to get an AR title for other car and register the car so I can insure it and drive it?

Received a reply:

You have to pay sales tax when you register. If you pay there then you should register there. If you pay there, you will still pay here also.

When I replied with:

The CO dealer sales manager contacted me if I had any issues/questions. I mentioned the sales tax thing.

The sales manager at the CO dealer said BMW requires sales tax be collected if the car is being financed. But since I am paying cash the sales manager said no sales tax will be collected.

If the dealer insists on collecting sales tax then no sale. I’m not paying sales tax in CO (9.5%) then again here (6.5%).

As soon as I get back from CO with the new car I’ll visit a local DFA office and pay sales tax, register the vehicle and surrender the manufacturer’s title and get an AR title (in about 30 days).

Got this reply:

That will be fine.

Don't know... I could drive 750 miles to CO and if I before signing anything confirm sales tax will be collected then the sale is off.

· Registered
4 Posts
This is why I ordered a 22 Hellcat Widebody Charger instead of doing the low percentage game... I got my car two months ago, order to deliver 4.5 months, and worth at least 5k more than what I paid... if demand continues to drive up prices I may just say see ya... The days of huge gains are within sight...

· Registered
2016 Hellcat Challenger manual, 2018 Challenger Scatpack A8 white, 2018 Scapack M6 Indigo Blue
135 Posts
The other is a grand wagoneer that is built but has had a bunch of problems and still not shipped. Don’t know what to do next. All dealers near me barely have any redeye orders
There are several used hellcats available with very low miles. Just buy one of those? Or, why not offer to fly to where the car is and take delivery from its current location. This way no shipping required.....

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
226 Posts
Car companies are having more than just a few issues.

From my perspective however it looks like dodge is in a class by itself. My wife has had a Jeep in order for almost 4 months with zero movement.

I think Dodge/Jeep are in very serious trouble. Starting from the “we’re gonna stop making gas cars at least 13 yrs before any regs”may go into effect” and even though Ford and Chevy among others will still be making gas cars for years to come, dodge has effectively left that market.

I have no idea what stellaris’ end game is nor the individual brands. Either way I think they’re out of their minds. Then again I think people paying a premium for a car because it’s the last year it’s being made is a total waste.

what is it? Like 1% of the people buying them will actually ‘keep them as an investment” which will only make them really valuable like oh I dunno. A half century down the road assuming civilization even makes it that long…..

So a 2023 will be worth how much more? And to who? How many people buying those cars will own them 20,30, 40 yrs from now? Seems like total nonsense to me.

Dodge not being able to smooth over things with the rail carrier in 5 seconds, alone shows you how many brain cells are working at corporate. It’s a low number. Really low…..

Reactions: Scottb

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
151 Posts
This force majeure discussion is very interesting (sorry that it is a sad story for the initial poster). What we have here, IMO, is a knock-on effect of what I have been observing since 2008. That was when it became obvious to me that central banks abandoned defending our currency. There was no going back, so a collapse must eventually occur. A positive message of this thread is that there is a lesson here. It's good to have this car hobby, buy you really need to do some prepping now.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
226 Posts
This force majeure discussion is very interesting (sorry that it is a sad story for the initial poster). What we have here, IMO, is a knock-on effect of what I have been observing since 2008. That was when it became obvious to me that central banks abandoned defending our currency. There was no going back, so a collapse must eventually occur. A positive message of this thread is that there is a lesson here. It's good to have this car hobby, buy you really need to do some prepping now.
going way off here but I don’t think it’s defending our currency. If you’re 40ish or older you know what the deal is. When the pain gets bad enough, things happen. Pain just isn’t bad enough. Look at this thread. The country is in a recession… interest rates are escalating as is the standard cost of living and the result is- we’re all annoyed that our expensive unnecessary vehicles are taking long to get to us.

I’m as guilty as the next but here’s the deal. It’s speculated by banks that credit cards among other things have doubled, tripled or quadrupled in total country debt. The strong job market has keep it in quasi check. Quasi btw. When job losses start taking place it will be a blood bath. Banks will see amazing losses. Nonstop credit and spending will slow way down and things will even out.

but we see that it won’t happen until it’s the “real thing”. The “fear of the real thing” doesn’t seem to hurt this economy too much.

Furthermore there is way too much coddling of people. Be it corona or rail car unions, when leadership says “f-u. No more crap. Just do your thing and be succussful or hide under your bed or quit… it’s your life, you do you… but we’re doing “the country”. If our leadership and corporate leaders spent 1/4 of the time they do instituting “social causes” the whole thing would be wrapped up in a week. But again, until they REALLY feel the pain, just ain’t gonna happen.

my shock is only because I would have thought by now we’d be there

Reactions: LaFlama1968

· Registered
22 RENB, 2017 SP
362 Posts
Be careful.

I'm trying to buy a new car in CO. I live in AR. CO dealer said it would charge me sales tax.That's weird. I have bought 3 new vehicles in AR and not even the AR dealers collected sales tax. I went to the local Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) and with the paperwork from the dealer paid sales tax, surrendered the manufacturer's title, registered the new vehicle, then waited some days (in one cases almost 30 days) for the AR title to arrive.

I contacted the DFA/DMV here in AR and asked:

I am planning on buying a new car in Colorado. The Colorado dealer says it will collect the sales tax, it will use the sales tax rate in effect for where I live in AR. It will collect this from me and send it to AR.

What do I need from the dealer to show that I paid the sales tax that will satisfy the DFA so the DFA will not try to collect sales tax from me so I can proceed to get an AR title for other car and register the car so I can insure it and drive it?

Received a reply:

You have to pay sales tax when you register. If you pay there then you should register there. If you pay there, you will still pay here also.

When I replied with:

The CO dealer sales manager contacted me if I had any issues/questions. I mentioned the sales tax thing.

The sales manager at the CO dealer said BMW requires sales tax be collected if the car is being financed. But since I am paying cash the sales manager said no sales tax will be collected.

If the dealer insists on collecting sales tax then no sale. I’m not paying sales tax in CO (9.5%) then again here (6.5%).

As soon as I get back from CO with the new car I’ll visit a local DFA office and pay sales tax, register the vehicle and surrender the manufacturer’s title and get an AR title (in about 30 days).

Got this reply:

That will be fine.

Don't know... I could drive 750 miles to CO and if I before signing anything confirm sales tax will be collected then the sale is off.
I read this twice and it seems someone is giving bad information or making it more complicated than it has to be. I just went through this. Mine is much more complicated because personal property tax must also be paid to obtain a tag but let's skip that as it's not relevant. Typically, the new car dealer in the purchasing state IS required to collect the amount of sales tax due in your state of residence. They know what the rate is in Arizona. Your going to get an itemized contract showing this that the sales tax was included and the figure. You will then get a second receipt showing that the amount of the sales contract has been paid in full. CO will then send the correct sales tax amount to your state DMV or wherever it is supposed to go. On the flip side, I have bought multiple cars out of state and not paid a dime in sales tax. I also walked out with the title in my hand which is the method I prefer since I am paying cash. Regardless, when I show up at my local DMV with my bill of sale and need registration, tag, and my title switched to my home state they then collect the sales tax due if it has not been paid. I even asked on my my purchase 6 weeks ago about the sales tax being sent from Kentucky to SC. I said I paid it, but here at the local DMV how to you folks know that the Dealer sent it from Kentucky? They did not hesitate. Said, it's been sent, that's the law. Obviously the state DMV has a way to confirm this but the process is repeated thousands of times per day. Just make sure your sales tax on contract is the correct number for your state or that you pay nothing at all. Either will work. Anything else is BS. You will never pay in both states.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts