SRT Hellcat Forum banner

FR77 with Nitto 555 G2

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  domano 68 
#1 ·
Here are a couple pictures after cleaning the cat up. I am running 315/35/20 rear and 275/40/20 front. I had 305’s on the stock rear wheels and the 315 with offset actually clears better. Love this setup so far.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

See less See more
#21 ·
Cast wheels are somewhat of a double whammy: more mass to make up for being weaker, intrinsically, than forged wheels, then more centrifugal force due TO said increased mass.

The best way is carbon fiber barrels with magnesium center structure. Note: WOVEN carbon fiber through and through, not the nondirectional fill type I saw on one manufacturer's site. You may require revalved shocks to deal with dramatically lighter unsprung mass, as the existing damping is more relaxed to allow the spring to keep the tire in contact with the road, which can result in "jacking up" of the corner of the car when going around bends that are rough, as the lighter mass allows the spring to extend (rebound) the spring/shock combination far more rapidly than is accustomed.

Multi-adjustable shocks or software for the controller is definitely a desirable asset.
The more mass a wheel/tire has, the less resistance it needs to rebound damping, and the more resistance it needs to compression damping, especially near the top of its travel.

With ZERO unsprung mass, the corner would not need any damping of any sort to control the wheel itself, but the damping would be to control the body relative to the perfect (car, not racetrack) corners. The springs would be forcing the wheel/tire combination to conform to the pavement in a way the F1 chassis designers would dream about.

As you increase the RATIO of sprung to unsprung mass, you move towards that ideal ratio: infinite sprung, finite unsprung mass, where any force provided by the springs on the wheel/tire instantly and unfailingly glues the tire contact patch to the ground at exactly the weight bearing on that corner at that moment.

As you increase the ratio of unsprung to sprung mass, you head towards having a runaway (or bounceaway) set of wheels that cannot be kept down on the pavement, but take every bump, every pebble, as their signal to continue traveling toward the moon, less and less hampered by a heavy car body pressing down on them.

So, in short, the idea is to always move the car towards infinite sprung to unsprung mass ratio, and not vice versa. Huge, fat, F1 wheel and tire combinations weigh in at about 20 pounds combined weight. Their cars weigh around 1200pounds, total, so their wheel/tire to car mass ratio is around 1:60. If we desire a similar level of force bearing on OUR contact patches, with our ca. 60+ pound wheel/tire combinations, our cars would have only to weigh 3600 pounds or so. Thus, since our balletic hippos (see Disney's Fantasia) have an even better tire/wheel mass to overall mass ratio of closer to 1:90, in theory, we should be capable of great things, especially off a dig, as F1 cars are not renowned for having anywhere near the 1/4 mile times their power to weight ratios would suggest.

#22 ·
Absolutely beautiful car and beautiful wheels and tires. Where did you get the center caps if I may ask please? I want to do this exact same set up. Thanks in advance!

Here are a couple pictures after cleaning the cat up. I am running 315/35/20 rear and 275/40/20 front. I had 305’s on the stock rear wheels and the 315 with offset actually clears better. Love this setup so far. View attachment 572038 View attachment 572039 View attachment 572040 View attachment 572041 View attachment 572042

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.