SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with the rear engine tray, the one you remove 4 bolts to change oil. I brought it to a reputable shop, to have them do it. I know I'm going to hear, "Do it yourself", "what Brand"...please ...that not my issue.

I use this place, when I first get there I say (VERY Politely), I need to watch/hover, and be SURE that tray, is put back in place just right and all 4 bolts, in and straight. Its been my experience the guys that "know their S**T" welcome it, the F**k ups, are irritated.Due to Covid19 I wasn't able to watch as close as normal. I explain I've previously had issues with that rear tray being done back on right. (I leave out how I've caught other places, only putting back on 3 bolts, loosing one, or stripping them. ONE shop put it on with the REAR tray overlap facing FRONT, like a hood scoop - that did well after 70 mph). So today after they did the job, I look under from the front, and its low as hell. From the back you can see the hole/bow. Its like they used the wrong screw holes on the frame, that are too close together. NOW, I can either get under there, and look/fix or bring it back to them....say "Fix it" This should be flush, no gapping hole if seem from back, and not Low as hell when seen from the front. I took pics of another car like mine. He has this bow too, but
his is not as bad....Maybe these bow up over time?..I should just buy a new one. Thing is, mine was just replaced about a year or less ago, and I've not hit or run over anything.
Has anyone else had this issue? I need to be fully armed when I go back with it Is something they did, and this is NOT normal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The only thing to lose is that piece and possibly gain a little airflow. And it's no longer an issue when changing your oil.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What exactly is above it? Just oil pan? It can't really protect it except from dirt, dust and muddy water (for years cars did not have these). Not like it would stop a puncture. WHY do they even put these there?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,265 Posts
I have never seen them sag like that . It looks like the pan was took big for the car and they forced it on there .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never seen them sag like that . It looks like the pan was took big for the car and they forced it on there .

thats just it...it did not sag like this BEFORE they took it off to change oil. ITs the OEM pan, replaced by dodge. they had to have installed it wrong...I dont know how. And I really dwelled on correct pan replacement when I first pulled it...they were irritated. WELL......now "I" past that. I specifically siad "TAKE CARE with that...its tricky". I do not have a "before pic", If you see the attached pic, this is one on another hellcat I saw tonight. His sags too....but not like mine. I think his sag is whats .....uh "normal" ?
looking at the pic...its almost like the rear passengers side bolt, is missing?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,006 Posts
I highly doubt they used the wrong screw hole. I can tell you that these do bow over time and I bet that’s what happened here. Buy a new one or just pull it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I highly doubt they used the wrong screw hole. I can tell you that these do bow over time and I bet that’s what happened here. Buy a new one or just pull it.
I aggree,,,,,I was spitballing on that wrong screw hole...I dont' think that even possible. And I also agreee they must bow...if you look at my first post n pic, that other car's, his is bowed too.
BUT.....Alot hos his "bow" is camera angle, in person its much less. Plus his is way more flatten, in general. Mine is like ...pregnant. That what made me think wrong screw hole.
Mine is not even a year old, and its OEM. thats a lotta bow.
I found the part on rock auto, and bought two of them. I'm going to go back there in a bit. At very least they should of pointed it out to me....seeing that and saying nothing is BS, regardless of blame.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,883 Posts
Regardless if it is installed correctly or you have to get it installed (again) correctly, do not remove it. The panel helps air flow under the car and helps create a low pressure zone to help air flow through and out the engine compartment.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They were very nice...All they did was Loosen it...then couple of the guys held it up in place "unbowed"........tighten and done. How hard was that to figure out yesterday? and thy wonder WHY want to hover their work. They also said when new tray comes in....bring it by they will install it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Regardless if it is installed correctly or you have to get it installed (again) correctly, do not remove it. The panel helps air flow under the car and helps create a low pressure zone to help air flow through and out the engine compartment.
Key word is "help"....thats like bringing a hand held fire extinguisher to the blaze

1 - 12 of 12 Posts