SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I did a search and did not see anything about this in the "Redeye " forum but I did see a few threads in the Hellcat forums. Within the Hellcat forums it looked like owners thought it was coming from lugs nuts not being torqued correctly or just a noise that the split front rotors make and you have to live with it.

Well I am here with some new information...I took my Redeye to my Dodge dealership to have a few other things done and mentioned this issue. Turns out there is a Dodge TSB for this...it is TSB 05-00-20. Basically what the SRT tech told me is they install these paper thin shims on both sides of the front rotors and it takes care of the clicking. Well it worked and I no longer have this issue.

Just thought I would throw it out there in case any other Redeye owners were having this issue.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,859 Posts
Seems like a bandaid to me. Wonder if the rotors or hubs arent machined flat enough.

Reactions: Blickie and RUDEHP

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like a bandaid to me. Wonder if the rotors or hubs arent machined flat enough.
Agree...I am wondering if when I replace my rotors at some point if they will need shims...meaning maybe there was a tolerance issue with these rotors???

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,542 Posts
Shims are generally used to adjust the amount of clearance or play. If the mating surfaces are not flat shims won't address that.

That shims are being used suggests that manufacturing tolerances are not being held and there can be too much play of the rotor when mounted on the hub.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shims are generally used to adjust the amount of clearance or play. If the mating surfaces are not flat shims won't address that.

That shims are being used suggests that manufacturing tolerances are not being held and there can be too much play of the rotor when mounted on the hub.
That is what I am thinking...well if the shims stop doing the job than I will be back asking for brand new (proper) rotors!!!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey guys I did a search and did not see anything about this in the "Redeye " forum but I did see a few threads in the Hellcat forums. Within the Hellcat forums it looked like owners thought it was coming from lugs nuts not being torqued correctly or just a noise that the split front rotors make and you have to live with it.

Well I am here with some new information...I took my Redeye to my Dodge dealership to have a few other things done and mentioned this issue. Turns out there is a Dodge TSB for this...it is TSB 05-00-20. Basically what the SRT tech told me is they install these paper thin shims on both sides of the front rotors and it takes care of the clicking. Well it worked and I no longer have this issue.

Just thought I would throw it out there in case any other Redeye owners were having this issue.
What a coincidence! My 2019 RE (9000 miles) started making a clicking sound from the front somewhere when I back out of my driveway and start turning to avoid a scrape. The driveway has a slight grade. I haven't tried backing out and turning the opposite direction yet. This is the only time so far I have heard it. Thanks a bunch for the info. I'll be keeping a close eye on it!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think a simple tire rotation will sometimes eliminate it also. Just clean up the hub & inside wheel surfaces first.
I had read that and asked them if they could at least do that and when it went to the back the SRT tech found the TSB for the shims.

I am not concerned as my Redeye is a daily and if I do any racing it would be 1/2 mile racing...so not to worried about the performance of the rotors as long as they slow me down at the end of the 1/2 mile...LMAO 😂

Reactions: Chancey

·
Registered
240 Posts

I had this happen on my 2019 Hellcat in my front left wheel. They never told me what the issue was but it was fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the same issue.
Well the TSB does make it stop clicking...I can verify that and it is done under warranty

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
521 Posts
My ZL1 did this, and I know my Redeye does it too...

Check the torque on your lug nuts to include the security lock ones, if it doesn't correct it, take the wheel off and clean the mating service of the hubs (back of rim/front of rotor).

This was a fix that I know several did with the Camaro side of things

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My ZL1 did this, and I know my Redeye does it too...

Check the torque on your lug nuts to include the security lock ones, if it doesn't correct it, take the wheel off and clean the mating service of the hubs (back of rim/front of rotor).

This was a fix that I know several did with the Camaro side of things
I did re-torque my lugs but did not pull the wheels and clean the hubs. And it made no difference...so that is why I asked Dodge to look into it and therefore my OP.

But my all means I would try what your saying first if you have the means.

Reactions: DevilsReject97
1 - 19 of 19 Posts