SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did a search and didn't see anything on this, but I can't believe I'm the only one that's experiencing a front end rattle. Our Hellcat is only 5 months old with 12,000 miles and I first noticed it around 7,000 or so. We live in a rural area and our roads are less than desirable, so we drive fairly slow in the bad patches to help minimize the impact. We had a 2015 Charger just before we bought this Hellcat and it was doing the same thing with the same rattle before we traded it off. Anyone else having this issue or have an idea what it might be. I haven't taken it in yet, but I'm assuming the dealer will say it's a normal wear item...struts, ball joints, etc...and that stuff is not covered. Just seems a little premature for this sort of issue.

·
NYS President
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9,004 Posts
what speeds is it starting? over bumps? when braking at slow speeds?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,651 Posts
Can't help validate here. Coming up on 19,000 miles and everything is still firm, tight and quiet.

Have your tried changing suspension modes to see if your rattle changes behavior?

Can you describe the rattle? metal on metal? plastic? speed dependent? road surface dependent?

Any changes to tire wear (alignment issue)? Bounce the shocks on the car from the corners; hear anything?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
232 Posts
Need a better description of the noise like Toolman stated. You may want to have the car put on the lift and check all front end parts. Unfortunately we are unable to grease the front end on these cars. Also check for a loose shock. My neighbor had an issue last year with a loose rear shock on a Jeep Wrangler which was brand new.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, should have been a bit more descriptive. I've worked on cars for many years and I'm familiar with front end noises on worn components. The sound that's developing is exactly the same as what was occurring on our Charger. It's mostly noticeable at slow speeds (5-25 MPH) but can be heard sometimes on larger bumps at higher speeds. Our rural blacktop road is full of pot holes, dips, bumps, and such and we "baby" it the best we can. It's not extremely loud, but it sounds like what I would describe as a strut or it's mount getting worn out and giving a light thumping sound that go in sync to all the little bumps. I don't feel it in the steering wheel, and definitely not metal on metal sound.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,651 Posts
Time for a visual inspection...

shock grummets and bushings
exhaust hangers (split rubber)
rear differential mounts

sometimes only takes one good jolt to split a rubber isolator

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
15 Posts
Disconnect front sway bar and drive it, see if it changes, a lot of times small movements in a ball joint type mount are hard to feel you can just hear then.

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,795 Posts
Meh, I'd just have the dealership figure it out and not sweat it. It's still under warranty. My initial gut feeling is tie rod.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
53 Posts
Aha- but, old posting. Too bad.
I am getting what I call a "warbling" sound, over slow bumps, from the front left side. Sounds like some loose body work or a bushing. The actually found a cracked shock component and replaced it under warrantee, but that did not correct the problem.
Anyone had this?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
53 Posts
PoorHorse Cat- that sounds like my nose. I describe it as a 'warbling'. It's a low pitch deep rattle that I can now actually imitate with my lips. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a broken left strut, which I didn't know I had and found no difference in ride or handling after the repair. The 'warblinig ' contnues. I even let them keep it over the weekend when the service manager called me and said he'd have to take it home to see if he hears anything. This, despite the fact that I went for a drive with their best diagnostician and we heard the warbling repeatedly. Maybe he just wanted it for the weekend ,cause I just showed his my latest 0-60 time of 3.5 sec. on my new Nitto drag radials. As long as he found and fixed . Come Monday, though,they could not isolate the noise. The tech said it seemed real deep, like a bad weld,and beyond their ability to find and fix. They'd have to consultehighrr ups at FCA as to how to proceed..That's where it stands today. I'm wondering if adding bracing under the hood would be a quick fix. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
64 Posts
Hi just checking how this was resolved. Did they identify the problem? I’m having same rattling/knocking coming front front end. They replaced the strut, no change. They calling SRT on Monday. I saw other having similar issues which sounded like strut tension arm? I notice when turning the wheel at low speed there is some creaking coming from the suspension somewhere.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
905 Posts
Hi just checking how this was resolved. Did they identify the problem? I’m having same rattling/knocking coming front front end. They replaced the strut, no change. They calling SRT on Monday. I saw other having similar issues which sounded like strut tension arm? I notice when turning the wheel at low speed there is some creaking coming from the suspension somewhere.
There's a couple of other posts with a similar issue. My car has a light rattle in the left front over slow speed bumps. Mainly less than 10mph on cobble stone or brick light surfaces its most noticeable. It's not there at other driving.

The dealer has replaced both front struts/shocks and I still have it. The dealer claims it was tracked down to the power steering rack and or intermediate shaft. They will be replaced on Tuesday.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
64 Posts
Thanks for the info. I’ll bring it up with my dealer as well.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
53 Posts
They cannot fix it . I went to several dealers . My car was laid up for a month . SRT premium paid for a loaner and ultimately made a month’s lease payment. They replaced struts, lower control arms, upper control arms. They replaced deformed front end bushings . They were just going to send my car to the body shop to have it torn apart to find a deep weld that was bad . I had enough so took it back. It was better but still warbled. Didn’t keep me from 3.4 Sec. 60. I figured I’ll just drive it like I stole it until the lease is up. I have other challengers , a GT also that’s tight like a tiger . At least my supercharger is good and my trunk alignment is spot on . Life

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
905 Posts
The saga continues. The dealer replaced the power steering rack and intermediate shaft. The rattle is still present. Escalating to Chrysler engineers.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
905 Posts
Update:

I picked my car up this morning. They have fixed my rattle. Hopefully this is a permanent fix. They replaced more left front suspension components this time.

Lower control arm - 68079723AB
Tension strut - 68290901AB

The tech was saying the bushing for the tension strut would make a rattle but only under certain conditions. Hope this info can help others with the same rattle.

Reactions: Mean707 and jroyk

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
125 Posts
I’m having this same issue, thanks for the info, I’ll pass it along to the tech when I take our charger in to try and fix this.

Among others, a muffled thud from the front drivers side, sometimes it sounds like under the dash. Other times it seems suspension like, the dealer did change the strut and other parts associated with the strut assembly.

2018 Charger SP w/12k miles, sound started about 5 or 6k miles.

Just saying this for future researchers

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
905 Posts
I’m having this same issue, thanks for the info, I’ll pass it along to the tech when I take our charger in to try and fix this.

Among others, a muffled thud from the front drivers side, sometimes it sounds like under the dash. Other times it seems suspension like, the dealer did change the strut and other parts associated with the strut assembly.

2018 Charger SP w/12k miles, sound started about 5 or 6k miles.

Just saying this for future researchers
Hope this info helps resolve your issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts