SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Front Skinnies or AAD wheel hop eliminator?

1257 Views 38 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  moparjim
Alright guys, last few things before hitting the track. So close I can smell the ignite. I’m running 17x10 f14 beadlocks with Mickey 315/50r17 radials. I have a diff brace. I installed rear cradle lockout. Looking at getting my matching 18x6 front runners for the car, or going with wheel hop eliminator kit from AAD (about the same money with tires). Passenger seat and rear seats will be out of the car, and that’s about all the weight I’m shaving off besides the weight difference in the rear drag setup, which isn’t much. What do you guys will net me better gains on the strip? Wheel hop eliminator, or front runners?
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
884 Posts
AAD based on my experience. Car tracks true and has so many more benefits on and off track until you can get skinnies up front

· Premium Member
10.22 @ 133 in Roomy Comfort (Stock as delivered, no tune of any kind, just tires)
739 Posts
I’m around 900 to the wheels on e85
Yeah I'd keep the beadlocks at that point.

The largest gains you can make proportionally is reducing rotating mass, exact numbers vary but they are usually between 8.5 to 10 lbs of static weight for each pound of rotating mass. Those skinnies could save you as much as 40lbs of rotating mass.

As for wheel hop thing again it would depend if you have relentless wheel hop or not. Personally I have never had any issues with wheel hop on any of my Hellcats or Red-eyes so the 2 tenths from the skinnies are the obvious choice, but if your cars jumps around like a Bunnie on crack then the suspension would probably help you more.

(Added weight savings for skinnies)

· Premium Member
296 Posts
Alright guys, last few things before hitting the track. So close I can smell the ignite. I’m running 17x10 f14 beadlocks with Mickey 315/50r17 radials. I have a diff brace. I installed rear cradle lockout. Looking at getting my matching 18x6 front runners for the car, or going with wheel hop eliminator kit from AAD (about the same money with tires). Passenger seat and rear seats will be out of the car, and that’s about all the weight I’m shaving off besides the weight difference in the rear drag setup, which isn’t much. What do you guys will net me better gains on the strip? Wheel hop eliminator, or front runners?
Going with the lightest wheels and tires that you feel comfortable affording is the FIRST thing that should be done.

· Registered
184 Posts
Depends on if you are having wheel hop an d traction issues. Front won’t help if you can’t leave the starting line

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
226 Posts
Skinnies with Et Fronts, not SRs, 100% will net you a couple of tenths, and if you want to maximize ET loose the beadlocks for stock power, save you another 12lbs rotating mass.

I've had some feedback from folks at the track saying they didn't really notice or weren't quite exactly sure if the skinnies made a difference for them. I was trying to justify if they were worth the coin or not.

Granted they weren't running the ET fronts though as they had the SR's up front.

Do the skinnies legit really make a difference in cutting a couple of tenths?

Especially with the ET front runner tires you mentioned?

Did you add those tires on to the car without doing anything else to the vehicle to be able to judge what you run with the skinnies alone?

· Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,098 Posts
Not that I have found testing.
Maybe .05-.08 with a light tire.
On a stock car

· Premium Member
10.22 @ 133 in Roomy Comfort (Stock as delivered, no tune of any kind, just tires)
739 Posts
I've had some feedback from folks at the track saying they didn't really notice or weren't quite exactly sure if the skinnies made a difference for them. I was trying to justify if they were worth the coin or not.

Granted they weren't running the ET fronts though as they had the SR's up front.

Especially with the ET front runner tires you mentioned?

Did you add those tires on to the car without doing anything else to the vehicle to be able to judge what you run with the skinnies alone?
Can't speak to those guys running so called "stock" cars that have tunes, driveshafts,rotors, exhaust ECT, but yeah they're stock 🤣🤣🤨.

But in my car which is as delivered from Dodge, with just tires there was almost a tenth gain even with the 25.3lb Welds 20x5 rim. EVERYTHING else was exactly the same a couple weeks apart, same track, same lane, close to same DA, multiple passes not just one. Am 701+102.
Font Tints and shades Monochrome photography Automotive tire Monochrome

Font Material property Paper Document Event

Believe who/what you want I know for FACT they make a difference, and the Forgestar 18x5s weigh 6lbs less per wheel than the Welds which would make even more of a difference.

· Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,098 Posts
Mines modestly modified, shaving weight down. The skinnies got me a lot of weight off the front, less rotational mass/drag
If I remember correctly it was almost 50lbs savings from the stock wheels to dark stars and M&H fronts. I tried it on 3 occasions when my car was stock. Sure I could say hey look I gained a tenth and a half. In reality running 3 passes on stock fronts then switching to the skinnies for 3 or 4 passes and switching back for another pass or two. Has averaged out to about .08. I tried it this year once with 3passes then 3 passes and it was .08 on average.
One of the times when stock I didn't use as a comparison because I was having all kinds of issues with Cat over temp from the recall.
Is it a gain , sure but just not as much as some would have you believe. This of course is from my testing .
On a side note in one of my conversations with Simon (fasthemi) he mentioned to me that he came up with the same results.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts