SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I'm looking for some advice from people who've finished their garage floors.
Currently, I've narrowed down the field to Epoxy covering and/or Racedeck.
The Epoxy job will be done by professionals and has a 10yr warranty,
the bid costs a bit more than Racedeck. My question regarding Racedeck is doing it pop when you walk on it if the concrete floor isn't perfectly flat...or over concrete expansion joints...?
The pictures of Racedeck look OK - although some pics have that cheap reflective plastic sheen revealing all the tiles.
I know they now make a larger tile that might work better to reduce tile patterns.
Another question for the Racedeck owners -
If you spill something on the tiles does the liquid seep between the tiles...?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Hi there

I'm looking for some advice from people who've finished their garage floors.
Currently, I've narrowed down the field to Epoxy covering and/or Racedeck.
The Epoxy job will be done by professionals and has a 10yr warranty,
the bid costs a bit more than Racedeck. My question regarding Racedeck is doing it pop when you walk on it if the concrete floor isn't perfectly flat...or over concrete expansion joints...?
The pictures of Racedeck look OK - although some pics have that cheap reflective plastic sheen revealing all the tiles.
I know they now make a larger tile that might work better to reduce tile patterns.
Another question for the Racedeck owners epoxy floor coating las vegas -
If you spill something on the tiles does the liquid seep between the tiles...?
thanks in advance for any help

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
179 Posts
Road surface Asphalt Grass Floor Flooring

This is my epoxy garage floor, which was done professionally nine years ago prior to moving anything in when my house was built.

Besides yellowing due to sun exposure, chemical stains, and peeling up I’ve decided it’s time to change. Moving everything out of the garage as I type this, and I am having the surface completely stripped, reprepped, any necessary repairs performed, and having a polyspartic floor coating laid down on Monday and Tuesday next week. I should be able to drive on 6-7 days after completion due to curing.

I did compare race deck, but decided to go with a polyspartic coating instead due to durability and lifetime warranty covering defects to the coating.

·
Registered
2022 Challenger REWB in Sinamon
187 Posts
I Used a salt and pepper with black to make a checkerboard of these chepo tiles:

Less than $1 per tile.
Had to use a bunch of liquid nails on the floor because they don't stick well at all.
Very durable though and best part is if one gets damaged - just peel it up and replace.

Reactions: WVHEMIS

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
114 Posts
I did the Home Depot epoxy, previously, what a waste.

I have had Racedeck down for well over 10 years and it still looks great and takes the abuse. I have some cracks an uneven spots, it doesnt pop. Pros-very durable, zero prep, easy DIY install. Cons-expansion and contraction if you are in that type of climate, liquids do go in the seams, tough to mop dry, you may want to put cove base in to take up the gap you need to leave since its floating.

My brother just had a quartz type system put down (its thick, almost like a bed-liner) and I believe it has a lifetime warranty, he really likes it. It was 6.50 sq.ft, his garage is 385 sq/ft so it was 2500.00 Welcome to Garage Force Concrete Coating Solutions

If I were starting from scratch, I would probably do the quartz style system for my use now. Previously when I did repairs in my garage, I know a car falling off a jack and the brake rotor hitting anything but Racedeck would have damaged the rotor and concrete coating, instead of just denting the Racedeck. If I were to do Racedeck again, I would put some of the their draining tiles where the vehicle is parked for the melting snow (again, depending on climate).

Not the best pic (and not the car that fell) because the runner is in the way, but this is a 4x4 pattern and recent, so 10+ years old.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Sleeve Bumper

Warson

·
Registered
265 Posts
Grade 5 porcelain tile. One and done. Not cheap but nice.
That’s the direction I was thinking about going, but I wasn’t sure if I was crazy. The majority of the cost is in the labor, but I’ve done more ceramic in my life than I can remember. Big 1200 sq ft), wide open floor, it doesn’t get any easier.

·
Registered
'21 C8 2LT || Former 2020 Hellcat
2,984 Posts
I finished my floor (professionally) with polyurea. I had initially done my floor myself with Rustoleum Rock Solid. It went OK, but it wasn't great. I had a company come in and replace it all with the polyurea + color chips. They warranty the floor for 20 years. I paid $4,800 for the application, which included stripping, grinding, and filling in any cracks. Floor is skid/slip resistant and textured.

I've had a tiled floor before, not specifically Racedeck. However, they were similar in style in that they allowed fluids to pass through. All well and good so long as you never plan to sell your house. If you're like me and packed the floor and took it with you to put into your next garage, the floor underneath was pretty much ruined from the years of stains, fluid, and whatever. Thus, there's a plus and minus. Plus, you can literally pack your floor in boxes and move it out and reuse it. Minus, if you don't routinely pick up the tiles and clean under them, you're highly likely going to get permanent stains.

Current floor:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Note: The last time I posted these pics, folks asked me about the paint. I painted it myself with EXTERIOR pressure resistant, waterproof paint. The black and reddish colors are high pressure resistant (up to 2,000 psi). The grey is a satin exterior medium gloss exterior paint that covers the entire ceiling and top 1/3 of the walls. The reason behind the insanity is the garage is climate controlled with both a bathroom, hot water, a large floor drain and a pressure washer. This allows me to wash and detail the car indoors without fear of damaging the paint. My power washer is only 1,800psi, so no chance of damaging the finish on the walls at all.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,548 Posts
My brother just had a quartz type system put down (its thick, almost like a bed-liner) and I believe it has a lifetime warranty, he really likes it. It was 6.50 sq.ft, his garage is 385 sq/ft so it was 2500.00 Welcome to Garage Force Concrete Coating Solutions
Thanks for the link/recommendation.

Granted, it's a franchise company but there is one somewhat local to me.

The epoxy job I had done a few years back isn't holding up :(

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had the racedeck. It was nice but wont do it again. It's noisy to walk on. Dirt gets imbedded into the plastic. Fluids get into the tile seams. Didn't like using a jack or jack stands on it. I now have a polycuramine coating. Self installed pain in the ass application but happy with the results. Holds up well so far. Only 2 years old.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i did the diy epoxy with flakes about 10 years ago. It looked good for about 5 years and i redid it then. Its starting to show its age again now but for less then 200 bucks and a little bit of work compared to 4k its plenty good for me. If you have to redo it its much eaiser the second time because the the stripper takes the grease and grime off your previously done floor much easier then the first time. Even with a 10 year warrantee if you actually use your garage and want it to look good your going to have stains ect. Even after 5 years i had no wear through just dirt and stains. Keep in mind too that its not cars that really wear it out is foot traffic grinding sand into that will. I used it too in my reloading room that gets constant foot traffic and is about always a bit dirty and it lasted 5 years but really after 3 it wasnt nears as nice looking. Keep in mind that im not anal about sweeping the garage. I do it maybe 3 or 4 times a year so if i swept it often it might just have lasted longer then 5 years.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm happy with my race deck flow through. All the dirt falls through the openings so I never have a dirty floor. I just take out large sections to clean/ shop vac every 6 months or so. It is amazing how much dirt, leaves etc I clean up. And I'm not tracking any of it around. My floor always looks clean. I was going to epoxy coat but my floor has a lot of cracks and our area has ground movement. A nice shiny floor with cracks would have drove me nuts. Here are a few photos when I was remodeling the garage. Flooring was so easy to install my kids did most of the work 😛
Interior design Flooring Floor Art Hall

Property Wood Flooring Floor Leisure

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
148 Posts
If done buy a professional about $5 SF we just had it done at the airport I work
at its thick and fully covered by flakes. I did mine with rust oleum and few flakes
no comparison. pro job 100 times better. On a patio with chairs and tables moving
all the time no visible scratches or marks looks like its hard to damage.

·
Registered
'21 C8 2LT || Former 2020 Hellcat
2,984 Posts
If done buy a professional about $5 SF we just had it done at the airport I work
at its thick and fully covered by flakes. I did mine with rust oleum and few flakes
no comparison. pro job 100 times better. On a patio with chairs and tables moving
all the time no visible scratches or marks looks like its hard to damage.
Yeah, when I did mine, the kit came with about 2-3 cups worth of flakes. When I had it redone professionally, I kid you not, they put on somewhere between 5 and 10 gallons of flakes. After it cured, they vacuumed up the excess and packed down the floor before putting a top sealant on it. That's what gave the floor texture.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
114 Posts
Thanks for the link/recommendation.

Granted, it's a franchise company but there is one somewhat local to me.
Understood. The link was about their process more than anything, I have no affiliation and didnt realize it even was one. RE: franchises, on some projects/products, I would go with one over a pro. Cant tell you how many times over the years Ive had pro's go out of business (for whatever reason) and left me high n' dry down the road. They can just start a new business with a new name. At least with a franchised system, they seem to be more stable and have somneone to answer to. Disclaimer: Ive been in a franchised system for 25 years.

Tip: If you have a "Home Show" in your area and any company you are thinking about using (for anything home related) is an exhibitor, they usually run a special. My brother got 10% off on his project and I doubt he went to the show.

Warson

·
Registered
252 Posts
I could do 2 kits and two coats and another coat of clear and have the flakes from three kits and heck if you want more ebay sells them cheap. All for around 500 bucks. Problem is its till going to show wear if you bring dirt into the picture or walk alot on it and no matter how thick you do it if you live where temps swing alot or have frost like i do in northern michigan cement is going to eventually have cracks. I dont care who lays the cement it will crack and no matter how thick the epoxy its going to crack with the cement. to me its a no brainer. If i was going to spend the money to have a professional epoxy done id much rather just use that money and go with race deck. It wont show wear the dirt like was said can be cleaned up easily a couple times a year by lifting it and sweeping and it hides cracks and stains that are there or that are inevitable. Epoxy to me is a cheap way of making your garage look better (if were talking diy) . Its easy to do yourself and can be refreshed and thats the beauty of it. But if you want long lasting good looks that will stand up to using your garage as a garage(to work on cars, drip grease and drop tools on) and not a place to put a show car race deck is the way. Coolest garage floor ive seen is my buddys. He did race deck in black and white like a checkered flag. Another one i saw that was cool was a vette guy did his in the same color as his vette and got a BIG corvette sticker and a bunch of chev bow ties. He laid down the collar and then put down all the stickers and cleared over it with no flakes. A hellcat garage like that would be very cool. If you do it yourself just make sure your buying a 2 part epoxy kit. Some sell a single stage that is basically just paint.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts