SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Gear Oil BEST study ever!!

12K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  16GoManGoHC 
#1 ·
Title says it, this was the best study of gear oils I’ve ever come across, even the validity of it is notarized. I’ve used Amsoil Severe Gear for a long long time, I used Royal Purple Max Gear in my last new Diff installation because it was buy one get one free and Amsoil is a 30 mile one way drive to get. That Diff started making noise going around turns just 2500 miles in, now I know why. I Just installed a brand new 3.90 Diff last night, anyone want to guess which oil is going in it? Sorry Royal Purple fans, I won’t be using it ever again.

#2 ·
For what it's worth. I installed a 3.09 diff brand new in my Hellcat, drained the OEM fluid and replaced with Amsoil before I even drove it. It still whined within a few thousand miles.

#5 ·
Amsoil is about as good as it gets. I just think these diffs are very prone to whine.

Reactions: NoScat
#6 ·
I went with Amsoil gear lube because it was one of the few without friction modifiers already in it - I put a helical geared Wavetrac in my open 215mm so there's absolutely no need for it.

An added bonus with Amsoil is the ingenious pouch packaging - no need for a transfer hand pump or such any more!

#7 ·
1. Isn't this from 2007???????? 2. Didn't Amsoil do the test???????? 3. I'm sure Royal Purple has a study like this too. 4. Even if something meets ALL the requirements, do we really NEED it? 5. Until "Engine Masters", or some independent people do the test, there are NO differences.

#43 · (Edited)
Made these last night to filter break in metal particles out of the oil, super magnets pull debris from many inches away

View attachment 582398

What I'd like to see someone sell is bar stock that is super-magnetized, from which we could machine our own pieces.

Also, if someone would create a plug that not only attracts particles, but has a cage of sorts around it that will prevent oil windage or whatever from knocking them loose again.

#10 ·
I've had cars from the 60's till now.
I have never had an oil related failure of any component, car or motorcycle.
I refuse to believe a products own advertised and paid for testing. Buy what you like, or prefer, but saying one is better then the other is personal opinion. Testing by the company means nothing.
The past few decades I have used whatever the manufacturer has recommended. Never had an issue.
I did use Red Line oil in my various Harley's, only because HD branded oil was dealer only and just as expensive as others.
No failure with any motorcycle I ever owned either.

#13 ·
I've had cars from the 60's till now.
I have never had an oil related failure of any component, car or motorcycle.
I refuse to believe a products own advertised and paid for testing. Buy what you like, or prefer, but saying one is better then the other is personal opinion. Testing by the company means nothing.
The past few decades I have used whatever the manufacturer has recommended. Never had an issue.
I did use Red Line oil in my various Harley's, only because HD branded oil was dealer only and just as expensive as others.
No failure with any motorcycle I ever owned either.
Guess you didn’t read the entire post where I say the removed less then 2500 mile running on RP Max Gear with limited slip additive already in it Diff was making chattering noise cornering already which if you then read the study would have read that’s a fault of the RP that it’s additives fail quick snd it failed the 20 hour shear test. The tests done in the study are valid and true testing procedures including the mil spec Channel test which many failed as well. For the technically savy that know what their reading the proof is there in the test procedures performed no matter what company conducted the study, it just happened to be Amsoil as they knew their shit was pretty damn good and it is. Having the testimonial of authenticity notarized was putting ones self really on the chopping block if the study was proven to be fake or tainted. I was sitting out side A&A Auto contemplating getting RP again for this new Diff, or maybe Redline, or maybe one of the other high grade gear oils they carried verse spending a hour and a half after work driving 30 miles for the Amsoil I’ve always used for decades and the report TOTALLY convinced me to not buy the RP, I contemplated the Redline or Mobil 1 but after pondering snd reading it again a bit more in depth took the drive for the Severe Gear. I hammer on my Cat every time it’s driven it gets 2-3 timed all out 1/4 mile pulls done as I’m always testing something, so it sees Severe service so it needs what tests show to be the best.
Hears my collection, Diffs anyone??
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Engineering Gas
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Luggage and bags
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Hood Grille

#11 ·
AMSOIL has been proven to be among the best if not the best by several independent labs too.

Reactions: Spoolin
#15 ·
I'm not so much questioning the test itself and I do not claim to be an oil expert, but I do know that a test commissioned by a specify manufacturer is going to be tailored to show them in the best light. That may not mean the results are false but it could mean that they only test or report specific categories that they know they will excel in.

#18 ·
Amsoil has always tested pretty well. Another brand I really like so far is Archoil. I prefer to look at UOA or VOA to really get to know the oils though.

I decided to run a UOA for the first oil change on my Excursion that I just bought recently. I run it with Archoil and Rotella T6 in it. The analysis came back looking about as perfect as you could ever ask for. Archoil (Potassium Borate) is something I run in my diesels and flat tappet cars. It's the only thing I've ever used that actually fixed sticking injectors in a 7.3 and works as a zinc substitute as well.

#19 ·
Oil comparison test here. Amsoil wins. There are lots of independent tests though, this is just one.

And before anyone cries foul that this is an oil test and this thread is about diff lube, its safe to say that companies that have the best oils are also likely to have the best lubes too for other parts.

Just do a search on Google for Amsoil vs.

Reactions: 16GoManGoHC
#27 ·
I have a great idea. Use whatever you think is the best.
That should about cover everything.
In my 53 years of licensed driving, I've never had an oil related failure.
With that, I would conclude that most name brand oils are very good and the engineering has improved on the oil, engines and other assembly's being lubricated.
So spend what you want. Buy what you want. Just don't say "your" preferred is the best. Over the years we've all heard everyone's opinions on the best of everything.
That's why we drive Hellcats .... :ROFLMAO:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.