SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not referring to on the racetrack or for best times but in general. Does running the AC effect performance at all by taking away anything from the engine? 1%? 5%? 20%? Dumb question?

·
HOTM Winner
2021 Black Widebody Challenger Redeye
2,665 Posts
I wouldn't think it's enough to matter with these engines. The blower alone takes 80HP to turn it, A/C is nothing compared to that. Also at wide open throttle the A/C compressor will kick off until normal throttle is back.
I ran A/C the whole time I took the Radford Racing class. Both car and A/C did fine.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
323 Posts
not like it used to. In years past, when A/C was running it would drag down the engine even at WOT. However performance cars now have a setting in the tune that cuts the A/C compressor at a certain throttle percentage. So when you go WOT it should shut off the A/C to give you full power

·
Registered
732 Posts
I actually wondered that myself yesterday. My 0 to 60 best time is still the same 3.7 seconds according to the dash readout, whether the A/C is on or off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that is great news. I just remember instinctively shutting off my AC while driving just before I needed to get radical and then turn it back on just after lol. Fun times on both sides of the coin!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,227 Posts
I actually wondered that myself yesterday. My 0 to 60 best time is still the same 3.7 seconds according to the dash readout, whether the A/C is on or off.
0-60 would not be a good indicator at all any way. These cars have too much power to get its full potential to the ground for a 0-60 run on the street, regardless if ac is on or not.

Now a 60-130 comparison could be interesting since traction would not be a limiting factor. as long as the pulls were done in otherwise identical conditions, it would be all about how much power the car was making and should be noticeable if the ac was causing a loss of power..

Doubt there'd be much, if any, difference there either for reasons already stated above.

·
Registered
21 Camaro ZL1
1,167 Posts
The AC compressor gets turned off at WOT. If you do a wot run with the AC on, you will notice it get less cold for a minute after the pass then it will kick in again. So no performance loss at WOT at least. Part throttle, there will be parasitic drag. Not sure what the HP difference would be though at any given pedal input/rpm.

The REAL REASON not to use your AC at say the drag strip is you will be dripping condensation from the condenser all over the starting line.

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,075 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: Mattm400

·
Registered
261 Posts
I remember back when I was running AutoX a guy had a 944 Turbo. He would run with the windows up, for aero I suppose. The announcer said "those Porsche guys and their air conditioning...".

·
Premium Member
10.23 @ 133 in Roomy Comfort (Stock, no tune of any kind,, just tires)
573 Posts
Keep in mind at most all drag strips having AC on is a Big no-no. You'll usually get 1 warning to turn it off, next time you'll get the boot.

·
Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
3,308 Posts
The AC compressor gets turned off at WOT. If you do a wot run with the AC on, you will notice it get less cold for a minute after the pass then it will kick in again. So no performance loss at WOT at least. Part throttle, there will be parasitic drag. Not sure what the HP difference would be though at any given pedal input/rpm.

The REAL REASON not to use your AC at say the drag strip is you will be dripping condensation from the condenser all over the starting line.
FINALLY, an answer from experience.

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,182 Posts
With the a/c on, the RE seems much nicer to drive in D, the a/c seems to cause the trans to hold gears a bit longer so it seems to shift like a normal car rather than upshifting at 12- 1300 which is totally annoying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts