SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Toyota dealer about 2hrs away has a ‘15 model with 28k miles on the lot. 6spd man, two tone red/charcoal interior, and it’s in navy blue (don’t know the color by name). It’s one of the more affordable ones that’s come around here. Granted it’s a Toyota dealer so I’m sure they’re not campaigning to get top dollar for it. Should I decide to take it home... what are some real world prices people are paying used for these? About a year ago I had a 15 Scat Pack 6spd and I thought it was a great car but like some of do is get the new car fever. I drove that car 2.5 years and the only repairs I had to do was replace the front struts. It had close to 100k on the clock and ran perfectly. I traded it in on a 16 Mustang GT premium. Im a dodge man but I’ve owned several mustangs over the years and I’ll say it’s a really nice car but.. I would be lying if I would say I didn’t miss my scat pack.

Now that the hellcat has been out for a few years now with no real sign of stopping.. used ones are within reach. I can’t say I’m crazy about the color combo (navy blue with red/black interior) but it’s a stick car and it’s priced right.

On a side note I did find a good deal on a ‘12 GT500 with 12k miles. I know that the Dodge is much nicer car in and out.. more power than anyone could ever need. It would likely stay stock outside of maybe some mufflers for a good exhaust note or maybe just a reso delete.

There’s only a couple of grand difference in the two cars...

advice, pointers, and suggestions are welcomed.
I plan on leaving out early and making it there when they open the doors. Right now dealers are offering great deals on trade-ins so.. maybe now is the time to take the plunge. When this model came out.. it seemed like a pipe dream super car that would only live in my dreams..

There is some sort of non factory cold air kit on it.. I’m not in the loop as to what it is. I’ve read back when I had my Scat Pack that it’s hard to beat the stock air box.. maybe it’s the color combo that turns people off.. just seems a little out of the ordinary to me.. the red and blue sort of clash..

2EF5F6E0-A44A-47E3-9EBF-34BE2C642907.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has a bwoody on it so you'll get to hear the supercharger whine on it nicely so thats a bonus. Take It out for a test drive and see how it runs. 🤙
yeah I’m gonna try to get there when they open the doors in the morning...every car I’ve found and contacted the dealer about has been sold. Either cars are sellin fast or dealers are just lazy at keeping their online stuff up to date. I will say looking at sites like carvana and carmax their new arrivals get scooped up fast... let’s hope they can match the trade in offers I’ve had elsewhere.. that’s really my main concern on whether we can make it happen..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to run a Carfax on it and it was originally sold new in Alaska.. I’m in Louisiana and the last report on it was in Alaska about a year and a half ago.. 6 owners.. makes a person wonder why it’s changed hands so often.. I’ll have to give it a good look under it to see if it’s been in snow for all of its 25k miles.. it’s odd that the dealer that it’s currently sitting isn’t reported on it.. seems a little peculiar

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
195 Posts
The 15and 16 had some bearing issues on the supercharger listen for bearing noise or see if maintenance records have anything about bearing replacement.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
308 Posts
Nice car. Looks like jazz blue or contusion blue. Pretty sure they were similar except for the name change at one point.
It's Jazz Blue. Contusion was not yet available in 2015.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
308 Posts
I decided to run a Carfax on it and it was originally sold new in Alaska.. I’m in Louisiana and the last report on it was in Alaska about a year and a half ago.. 6 owners.. makes a person wonder why it’s changed hands so often.. I’ll have to give it a good look under it to see if it’s been in snow for all of its 25k miles.. it’s odd that the dealer that it’s currently sitting isn’t reported on it.. seems a little peculiar
If you have the VIN, download the window sticker and equipment listing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have the VIN, download the window sticker and equipment listing.
carfax gave me a copy of the sticker.. it’s jazz blue..

Is that many owners in a 6 year span odd or is it sorta common for that type of car? Looks like each person didn’t have it but a few thousand miles... could just be people buying them as a toy only or they realized that 700hp was too much? Kinda surprised the current dealer ship isn’t listed on it but that may not be out of the ordinary... from Alaska to Louisiana is a hell of a scenery change lol

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,461 Posts
A Toyota dealer about 2hrs away has a ‘15 model with 28k miles on the lot. 6spd man, two tone red/charcoal interior, and it’s in navy blue (don’t know the color by name). It’s one of the more affordable ones that’s come around here. Granted it’s a Toyota dealer so I’m sure they’re not campaigning to get top dollar for it. Should I decide to take it home... what are some real world prices people are paying used for these? About a year ago I had a 15 Scat Pack 6spd and I thought it was a great car but like some of do is get the new car fever. I drove that car 2.5 years and the only repairs I had to do was replace the front struts. It had close to 100k on the clock and ran perfectly. I traded it in on a 16 Mustang GT premium. Im a dodge man but I’ve owned several mustangs over the years and I’ll say it’s a really nice car but.. I would be lying if I would say I didn’t miss my scat pack.

Now that the hellcat has been out for a few years now with no real sign of stopping.. used ones are within reach. I can’t say I’m crazy about the color combo (navy blue with red/black interior) but it’s a stick car and it’s priced right.

On a side note I did find a good deal on a ‘12 GT500 with 12k miles. I know that the Dodge is much nicer car in and out.. more power than anyone could ever need. It would likely stay stock outside of maybe some mufflers for a good exhaust note or maybe just a reso delete.

There’s only a couple of grand difference in the two cars...

advice, pointers, and suggestions are welcomed.
I plan on leaving out early and making it there when they open the doors. Right now dealers are offering great deals on trade-ins so.. maybe now is the time to take the plunge. When this model came out.. it seemed like a pipe dream super car that would only live in my dreams..

There is some sort of non factory cold air kit on it.. I’m not in the loop as to what it is. I’ve read back when I had my Scat Pack that it’s hard to beat the stock air box.. maybe it’s the color combo that turns people off.. just seems a little out of the ordinary to me.. the red and blue sort of clash..

View attachment 572619
View attachment 572620
View attachment 572621
View attachment 572622
Don't kid yourself. I've never encountered a car dealer yet not looking to get top dollar for every vehicle on his lot.

At a Toyota dealer the Hellcat is likely a halo car. Years ago I encountered at Nissan dealer a M-B and a Porsche on the show room floor. Priced dearly.

The Toyota dealer doesn't starve if the Hellcat doesn't sell. He makes his money, keeps his doors open, selling Toyotas. So he's not likely going to have much incentive to discount the car much.

Best advice I can offer is do a thorough used car check out. Among other things this involves a 15 mile test ride then a 15 mile test drive. If you want I can post up a Hellcat checkout.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with any of that just yet.

Buy a paint meter and meter the car, if it's been painted just move on.

Cars like these are crashed a lot, this is just basic insurance.

Reactions: Scottb

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't kid yourself. I've never encountered a car dealer yet not looking to get top dollar for every vehicle on his lot.

At a Toyota dealer the Hellcat is likely a halo car. Years ago I encountered at Nissan dealer a M-B and a Porsche on the show room floor. Priced dearly.

The Toyota dealer doesn't starve if the Hellcat doesn't sell. He makes his money, keeps his doors open, selling Toyotas. So he's not likely going to have much incentive to discount the car much.

Best advice I can offer is do a thorough used car check out. Among other things this involves a 15 mile test ride then a 15 mile test drive. If you want I can post up a Hellcat checkout.
Funny how times have changed. I remember my dad telling me about how he would pick up cars to keep for a little while and then sell for a small profit back in the 70’s & 80’s. The trick was to buy whatever brand of car you wanted at a dealer that didn’t sell that brand of cars. Example stated above, dodge at toyota, etc. They usually wouldn’t want those cars, as they knew nothing about them. They also didn’t have the tools/mechanics readily available to fix them. So they were always priced accordingly to move. Obviously the times have changed. Good deals are rare on all fronts currently, as someone else stated, you just have to know where to look.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,739 Posts
Color combo keeps it affordable. Red and blue = o_O

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well upon pulling in someone was looking at it already.. knowing what I knew about it... I wasn’t all that sad ..47k with 29k miles seems a little fishy when lower miles like that when they’re constantly priced higher...

They guy was trading in a Cadillac CTS-V on it.. so at least he was converted from GM lol

Yeah the color combo was probably my least favorite aspect.. ah well.. another place, another time..

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
If you don't mind, the electronics will be slower than the 2019 and up. I had a 2019, went back to a 2015, and noticed it right away. Not a bad thing, just takes getting used. Mine was repainted due to a hailstorm, the guy DIDN'T want the painless dent removal, and it's fantastic with the Ivory Tri-Coat Pearl. ANY repairs are ok, as long as they are done properly. The back tires seem to stick out more, so are they stock size?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you don't mind, the electronics will be slower than the 2019 and up. I had a 2019, went back to a 2015, and noticed it right away. Not a bad thing, just takes getting used. Mine was repainted due to a hailstorm, the guy DIDN'T want the painless dent removal, and it's fantastic with the Ivory Tri-Coat Pearl. ANY repairs are ok, as long as they are done properly. The back tires seem to stick out more, so are they stock size?
Appeared to have stock fronts still and some Summitomo 315s on the back

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
809 Posts
It's normal for used halo cars (Hellcats, GTRs, Corvettes, GT500s, etc) to go from 1 owner to 4 owner, very quickly. Especially if the car in question is a driver with miles and/or mods and not a 2,000mi garage queen.

That's because these cars sell for cheaper, and are often able to be had for prices that are reachable, albeit at a stretch, for average used car buyers. That's because they're often not as well maintained, are modified, or are in need of some type of repair the dealer will conveniently not tell people. For example, someone looking at a new R/T might see a used Hellcat for $10k more. "Huh, that's only about $200 more per month!" So, they pinch their pennies, figure it'll work for them, so they pop on it. Then, they regret it 2 days later after they sign up for insurance (if they're younger and don't have a perfect driving record, this can be close to $400 a month or more). That, or they quickly learn that many performance people that buy new, sell when it's time for costly maintenance. Tires cost around $1,100. Brakes are easily north of $2,000. If the car is out of warranty and the blower bearings go out... add some more thousands if the whole blower needs replacing.

Owning a Hellcat as a driver costs a LOT more money than most other cars in terms of maintenance and fuel costs. It's not as bad as a GTR or something like an Italian exotic, but it is substantially higher than more common vehicles. So, when someone pops on a Hellcat they can barely afford the loan for it, then they can't afford to actually drive it. So, they firewall sell it. Then it happens again, and again.

I've told this story before here, so I won't do it again. But, the 392 T/A I traded in on my Hellcat was a 1 owner car. It's now on owner #3, 11 months after I swapped keys. 2nd owner couldn't afford the brake job and sold it. The current owner hasn't changed the oil in 14k miles (UConnect app is still sticking that T/A in my profile and sends me oil change warning alerts at least once every few days). I suspect owner #4 will show up pretty soon.

These cars change hands so fast because a large portion of them are bought by people who have no real clue as to what they are, what's wrong with them, or how costly they are to keep. Lots of people can afford the loan on the car, but keeping it costs a lot too.

Lastly, I'll sum this up by saying that new Hellcats are bought mostly by owners who fit the following rule: "I know I can afford this." Used Hellcats are often bought by people who say, "I think I can afford this."

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
196 Posts
It's normal for used halo cars (Hellcats, GTRs, Corvettes, GT500s, etc) to go from 1 owner to 4 owner, very quickly. Especially if the car in question is a driver with miles and/or mods and not a 2,000mi garage queen.

That's because these cars sell for cheaper, and are often able to be had for prices that are reachable, albeit at a stretch, for average used car buyers. That's because they're often not as well maintained, are modified, or are in need of some type of repair the dealer will conveniently not tell people. For example, someone looking at a new R/T might see a used Hellcat for $10k more. "Huh, that's only about $200 more per month!" So, they pinch their pennies, figure it'll work for them, so they pop on it. Then, they regret it 2 days later after they sign up for insurance (if they're younger and don't have a perfect driving record, this can be close to $400 a month or more). That, or they quickly learn that many performance people that buy new, sell when it's time for costly maintenance. Tires cost around $1,100. Brakes are easily north of $2,000. If the car is out of warranty and the blower bearings go out... add some more thousands if the whole blower needs replacing.

Owning a Hellcat as a driver costs a LOT more money than most other cars in terms of maintenance and fuel costs. It's not as bad as a GTR or something like an Italian exotic, but it is substantially higher than more common vehicles. So, when someone pops on a Hellcat they can barely afford the loan for it, then they can't afford to actually drive it. So, they firewall sell it. Then it happens again, and again.

I've told this story before here, so I won't do it again. But, the 392 T/A I traded in on my Hellcat was a 1 owner car. It's now on owner #3, 11 months after I swapped keys. 2nd owner couldn't afford the brake job and sold it. The current owner hasn't changed the oil in 14k miles (UConnect app is still sticking that T/A in my profile and sends me oil change warning alerts at least once every few days). I suspect owner #4 will show up pretty soon.

These cars change hands so fast because a large portion of them are bought by people who have no real clue as to what they are, what's wrong with them, or how costly they are to keep. Lots of people can afford the loan on the car, but keeping it costs a lot too.

Lastly, I'll sum this up by saying that new Hellcats are bought mostly by owners who fit the following rule: "I know I can afford this." Used Hellcats are often bought by people who say, "I think I can afford this."
Lol yeah usually. I bought mine used with 13k miles, for 49k, I could have bought new, but it was still under factory warranty, so I took a chance. Transmission started acting up because dude abused it, swapped under warranty, same with the fuel rail. I could afford twice what I pay on my low interest loan, but saving money is great. Used cars scare me, especially high performance, and if I ever get rid of this cat it would have to be for a new one, with the M6.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts