SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Charger RedEye
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the chrome lung nuts the put on just about every Dodge product no matter what rim color has irked me since day 1! Why would they do that? I was also upset with myself for spending the $75 for the chrome locking nuts as well. We'll this past weekend I completed a small and simple mod by installing all black gorilla locking nuts where each nut is a lock. Not only did it add a bit more security for my wheels, I think it dramatically improved the looks.
Please pardon the dust I took her to the spa right after this.
20210412_135508.jpg
20210409_190107.jpg

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
215 Posts
I have the same set and I agree, they're a great enhancement. But lately I've been wondering if even the locking Gorilla lugs can be removed with Gator Grips. May have to buy a GG and test it out.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
787 Posts
I have the same set and I agree, they're a great enhancement. But lately I've been wondering if even the locking Gorilla lugs can be removed with Gator Grips. May have to buy a GG and test it out.
I used 200ft lb torque and red locktite mixed with jb weld to keep mine from being taken.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I bought these also knowing the following so my negativity towards them is just frustration but they don't have many different "keys" apparently. The same key I have for my Mustang, works on my Viper and now my Hellcat. I originally bought them for the locking ability but now have them more for cosmetic. I forget the amount but I asked about this at my local tire company and I want to say they only had a half dozen or so "keys" which allowed them to get most off when a customer forgot or lost theirs.

Still better than nothing but I think they should be looked at more for cosmetic reasons than security purposes.

·
Registered
2021 Charger RedEye
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought these also knowing the following so my negativity towards them is just frustration but they don't have many different "keys" apparently. The same key I have for my Mustang, works on my Viper and now my Hellcat. I originally bought them for the locking ability but now have them more for cosmetic. I forget the amount but I asked about this at my local tire company and I want to say they only had a half dozen or so "keys" which allowed them to get most off when a customer forgot or lost theirs.

Still better than nothing but I think they should be looked at more for cosmetic reasons than security purposes.
Agree, I don't think they will stop a serious thief, just slow them down enough for me to come out with my Pease Keeper you dig. And the opportunistic thief would look else where for an easier target. But more than anything I got them because they look 100% better than chrome IMO.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
215 Posts

Thanks! Saves me from an unnecessary experiment. I was going to test the Gorilla lugs before buying a set of conical wheel locks from Advanced Wheel Locks. But just one set. I'll keep 4 Gorilla locking lugs and one conical lock on each wheel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
6 point socket will remove those lugnuts fyi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those with black gorilla locks, have you noticed any chipping?

I have the chrome version but they chip very easily over time. I’ve never used an impact to remove/install and don’t use harsh chemicals when cleaning.

·
Registered
2021 Charger RedEye
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those with black gorilla locks, have you noticed any chipping?

I have the chrome version but they chip very easily over time. I’ve never used an impact to remove/install and don’t use harsh chemicals when cleaning.
I also had gorillas on my 09 Charger and never saw rust or chipping. I'm also in the south and it rarely saw any snow or I've. Now my old factories outershell stated to warp and strip over time. Had to beat the outer shell off to take off just to get to the inner nut.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
787 Posts
Are you serious, I bet its a chore to rotate and change tires? I'm with it as long as it gets the job done.
Lol no not at all, I just put spacers on my truck and thats what I did to them. I ended up snagging a set of black lugs and wheel locks off a user on here, got them today.

I hear theyre leaving the lock lug on the wheel and dropping the car hard to snap the stud. Either way if they want it bad enough they'll get it. Be safe out there, and always keep a knife with your peace keeper so if they turn to run, you can throw the blade near them and say they had a knife :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts