SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has probably happened to most if not all of you.
I am out on my first road trip since March 2020.
Decided last month to take 4-5 days and stay up here in Pismo Beach.
So, I rip up here in record time after leaving from San Diego at 3:31am Friday. I absolutely hate LA traffic.
Got here at sunrise, no problems.
Have my Cat valet parked so they can watch it. Saturday night around 10pm, I decide to go to Downtown Pismo Beach. Got my girl next to me, I take the Cat out of valet mode and proceed to drive normally in to town.
I get out walk around near the pier, not many people out so I decide to go back to the hotel...... Fire her up, go one block bam there is the dreaded red and blue flashing lights in my rearview.
They seem to come from outer space as I did not see any cops at all.
Anyway, I pull over, put the flashers on and he does the obligatory "blind the driver with 30,000 watt lights" in to my Cat.
License, Registration, Insurance card. ~ Yes officer, can I ask what you are pulling me over for? ~
"Excessive display of speed & running a stop sign" I say I haven't even got it out of 1st gear yet, and the stop sign, I stopped - (just not completely, did a Philly roll through).
So we just got done washing our hands with my Purell. In fact my Girl Friend has it still in her hands.
He leans in the car and says "It smells like you have been drinking". I said absolutely not, I lock my keys in my safe as soon as I open my 1st light beer.
He says "I smell alcohol", maybe it is the hand sanitizer?"
My girl is still holding it! I say yes, maybe, he says "step out of the car and proceeds to do the side of the road DUI test": follow my finger, etc, etc. stand on one foot stare at the moon blah blah.
I do the test and pass with flying colors.
He says "get back in the car back seat! I proceed to tell him: I cant fit back there it is for small children.
He says "No get back in the car. I swear he said "get in my back seat"
Anyways he lets me go after everything checks out, not a spot on my license in 10+ years I had all paperwork etc..

~~Excessive Display of Speed~~

·
Registered
417 Posts
"Excessive display of speed & running a stop sign" I say I haven't even got it out of 1st gear yet, and the stop sign, I stopped - (just not completely, did a Philly roll through).

A philly stop is not a stop. A vehicle must come to a complete stop behind a crosswalk if present, an established line if present or parallel to the sign if no line is present. Excessive display of speed is normally used as probable cause when a vehicle loses traction while accelerating (spinning the tires) which generally happens in lower gears so being 1st gear wouldn't surprise us as it's easy to do in our cars ;-)

Sounds like the Cop had at least one valid reason to pull you over and ticket you so it's pretty cool of him to just write you a warning especially in the car(s) we drive. Also shows you were most likely cooperative and being a jerk during the stop, good for you in staying respectful and calm. If an officer smells alcohol (or any substance that may inebriate them) on someone they must make the judgment call on if the person may be intoxicated or not. Generally they side on the side of caution as if they let you go and then you proceed to get into a wreck and (God forbid) hurt someone it's their ass on the line too for letting you go earlier.

I'm assuming you misheard him on the back seat of the car thing. As that makes no logical sense at all. If they wanted to detain you in a position you couldn't leave it would have been their back seat.

So, I'm not saying the above to be a jerk or downplay your frustration as you're right, most of us have been their at some point. I'm just trying to provide some background on what the officer was experiencing in that situation. By not writing you a citation he's doing you a favor.

Sounds like a fun trip outside of that though!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Widebody Redeye
332 Posts
first off, CA sucks balls and that's why everyone is leaving there, i left san diego 6 years ago. 2nd, it's because the cats are loud. I got pulled over for a speed contest in which i never got above 42 mph in a 45.... I got off with a warning, followed simple directions and was polite to the officer. Talked to him for about 10 min regarding the hellcat and my personal drag bests. Only time i've been pulled over in this car so far knock on wood....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,980 Posts

I thought they called it a California Roll.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,380 Posts
Regarding the claim the officer smelled alcohol I've encountered that "line" a couple of times when pulled over. I never responded and the officer dropped the subject.

In one case I was pulled over in my VW Golf TDi -- diesel engine -- and I think the officer was not aware the car was a diesel.

Another time I had just left a Japanese restaurant and had the odor of the meal (wasabi and what have you) on my breath. Restaurant out of after dinner mints and I do not carry any in my cars.

My thinking is if one it too quick to offer some kind of explanation the officer could think the driver had one at the ready because he had been drinking.

Some stops go rather well considering others can turn towards the ugly side. I've never had to take a road side sobriety test. Not sure with my inner ear/balance problem (I get car sick pretty easily) I could pass even though I would be sober.

All one can do is just behave and not let ego get the better of common sense. The time to take care of the ticket, it if comes to that, is after the stop. With the court.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,495 Posts
Your story vs (What cop is thinking)
“Driving normally“ (Look at this clown displaying excessive speed) “Never left first gear” (Still excessive speed, braggart pfft...) “hand sanitizer I swear” ( hand sanitizer my ass) “Really? A DUI roadside test?!” (still has alcohol dammit)
Test passed.
”Tried to tell you...” (Whatever...)
”What an idiot” (What an idiot)

Reactions: hansman

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
787 Posts
They're on such a power trip. I was in rain passing a cop and my tires spun when I went from 1st to 2nd and then TC kicked in and stopped them from continuing. We finish the 4 mile trip to 5 guys and then I get lit up in the lot. He comes up and says I did a burnout passed his traffic stop. I told him that isn't true, but that the tires were rather bald (OG pzeros with 25k miles) and it could've been they were bald and water was on the road, he didn't buy it and I even showed him my confirmed order for the next day pickup at tire-rack in DE for a set of new tires. He gave me a fix it ticket for the tires and a 1pt spinning tires ticket because of the burnout.

They're so relentless for cash from BS tickets.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

A philly stop is not a stop. A vehicle must come to a complete stop behind a crosswalk if present, an established line if present or parallel to the sign if no line is present. Excessive display of speed is normally used as probable cause when a vehicle loses traction while accelerating (spinning the tires) which generally happens in lower gears so being 1st gear wouldn't surprise us as it's easy to do in our cars ;-)

Sounds like the Cop had at least one valid reason to pull you over and ticket you so it's pretty cool of him to just write you a warning especially in the car(s) we drive. Also shows you were most likely cooperative and being a jerk during the stop, good for you in staying respectful and calm. If an officer smells alcohol (or any substance that may inebriate them) on someone they must make the judgment call on if the person may be intoxicated or not. Generally they side on the side of caution as if they let you go and then you proceed to get into a wreck and (God forbid) hurt someone it's their ass on the line too for letting you go earlier.

I'm assuming you misheard him on the back seat of the car thing. As that makes no logical sense at all. If they wanted to detain you in a position you couldn't leave it would have been their back seat.

So, I'm not saying the above to be a jerk or downplay your frustration as you're right, most of us have been their at some point. I'm just trying to provide some background on what the officer was experiencing in that situation. By not writing you a citation he's doing you a favor.

Sounds like a fun trip outside of that though!
I hear ya, I am going to practice a full Cali stop......BTW I did not receive a written warning, just a verbal. Other than the bottle of Purell (70% alcohol), it has been a welll deserved road trip. Haven't been on one in 1 1/2 years.
Salud'

Reactions: jakelind707

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I thought they called it a California Roll.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
😏 👍 > 😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They're on such a power trip. I was in rain passing a cop and my tires spun when I went from 1st to 2nd and then TC kicked in and stopped them from continuing. We finish the 4 mile trip to 5 guys and then I get lit up in the lot. He comes up and says I did a burnout passed his traffic stop. I told him that isn't true, but that the tires were rather bald (OG pzeros with 25k miles) and it could've been they were bald and water was on the road, he didn't buy it and I even showed him my confirmed order for the next day pickup at tire-rack in DE for a set of new tires. He gave me a fix it ticket for the tires and a 1pt spinning tires ticket because of the burnout.

They're so relentless for cash from BS tickets.
No courts thank God. I got off with a verbal warning.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
675 Posts
Oh, I've got a story about this.

2016. NW Florida, spring time... rain. I was driving my 1,000whp Mustang 5.0 home from an evening car show. It started raining on the way home. That car was a nightmare to drive in perfect weather, in rain, it might as well have been a Colorado snowstorm. This is an important detail.

I was on a major highway going through Panama City. Up ahead were three traffic lights, each spaced about 1/8 mi apart. I'm in the left lane stopped at the first light. On my right, a black Camaro SS (2015 or so). He was revving his engine, to which I ignored. I was driving a car with an F1-R ProCharger making 20psi of boost. It sounded like a jet engine. That Camaro was just not even worth the gas on a good sunny day, but in the rain... nah, I never put a car on a YouTube fail video and it wasn't going to happen that day either.

Light turns green, I accelerate slowly. The Camaro dumps his clutch and stalls. I turn to my wife and laugh and keep going. I signal a lane change to the right as I needed to turn just past the next light up ahead. As I begin to merge, my collision avoidance goes off as the Camaro was trying to squirt past me. I was rolling in 3rd at about 40mph. I goosed it up to 55mph and passed him. The light ahead changed to red and we both stopped. Again, he's revving his engine. I wave him off. Light turned green, he floors it. I admittedly launched my car in 2nd just to show him what he's messing with... which produced about a 2 second burnout... but I never made it above 45mph. This is another important point.

As I neared my turn, out come no fewer than 3 Panama City police cars. They pulled us both over.

The first officer approaches is a female. She asks if I am OK. "Yeah, I'm fine... why?" I replied. She told me that they have me on radar doing over 130mph. I told her, not this car you don't, and not that Camaro either. So, second cop shows up and says, "Look, we have you going over 100mph in a 45mph zone. This is a felony in the State of Florida."

I replied, very shortly, "I have data loggers in this car, a 360 degree dash cam, and everything I've done has been recorded. I'll accept whatever paperwork you have, but if arrest me for a felony and tow this vehicle, it isn't going to end well." He asked if I was threatening him. "Since I am now under a felony investigation, I will no longer make any more public statements without the presence of an attorney."

They left me sitting there for THREE HOURS. They'd randomly come and ask for my license... come back for my insurance. They wanted to see where my cameras were and what this data logging equipment I had was all about. In short, I had a track data recorder plugged into a folded up laptop mounted beneath the passenger seat. It recorded visual images, as well as things like the car's speed, RPM, shift points, G-Force loading, etc.

He tried to tell me that was illegal. I informed him that it is illegal to drive with the laptop open. It is not illegal to record data passively.

They brought in a drug dog and had it sniff the car (I'm a tea-totaller... I don't even drink alcohol). Then, they pulled me out to do a sobriety check. Once back in the car, I waited another 30 minutes before he handed me a ticket for "Racing on Highways." This too, is an important detail.

In Florida, a racing charge is not a felony. It's a class II misdemeanor, that, if convicted, mandates a 1-year loss of license, and up to a $10,000 fine, and up to 1 year in jail. Normally, these max fines aren't applied, but are instead used to threaten drivers into taking a plea on a lesser violation.

I asked him who I was racing, and of course he motioned towards the black Camaro. I nodded and said OK. He asked why I did it. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about and that I'm not going to discuss this any further.

Flash forward a couple weeks to my arraignment. In Florida, they put you into a pool of other offenders and you await your turn to talk to the DA and then make a plea. I had my data and some videos from that night. You don't need a lawyer at this point to make a not guilty plea. I got called back to conference with the DA. He says, "OK, let's see what this is about..." Opened the case folder and he started laughing. "Oh my..." He pulled out 1 small yellow citation that read, "Mr. Gordon was racing." That's it. No speed, no video, no data or witness statements from any of the other officers.

He said that he assumes I disagree with that statement, and I confirmed it for him. I then showed him all of my data, the videos of the car driving 20 minutes prior to and including the incident. My speed never went over 50mph. In my video, it showed me pass the cops standing in an abandoned auto parts store parking lot, all huddled together. They may have heard my car, but there was no way for any of them to have used any speed detection devices. Further, my car on drag radials, could run a 1/4mi in under 10s at 160mph. There wasn't enough room between those two lights for me to get it up past 100, more less 130mph in the rain. Later, the female officer admitted that the sergeant on the scene claimed he was behind on his quota and he was going to "stick it to these assholes somehow."

It was at this point that the DA asked me, "So, what do you do for work, this is some cool stuff?" It was at that point, for the first time since this whole ordeal began, that I informed him that I was the state director of strategic communications for the FL Dept. of Law Enforcement. The DA thought I worked in the auto industry. He was a bit taken aback and asked why I didn't tell the cops on the scene, they would have probably let me go. He then offered me a careless driving charge at 0-points and a $350 fine. I declined his offer. He looked over his file folder again, and ended up not wanting to press charges and petitioned the judge to dismiss the case, in which he did.

To sum things up, I ended up suing the Panama City police department, The Panama City News Herald (who refused to pull the story citing that I was street racing at speeds in excess of 100mph through a residential area), and filed official complaints of misconduct through the internal investigator's office. 6 months post incident, the Panama City chief of operations was fired and two of the three officers involved were terminated. The female officer was suspended for 30 days. The newspaper was forced to make a public retraction and reprint the story, accurately. I was also given back pay due to me also having been suspended pending the outcome of the arraignment (you can't be a criminal and work in law enforcement administration). FWIW, I am a consultant, not a state employee, so I don't get paid leave. All told, the PCPD ended up paying out over $180,000 in retraining officers/replacing their departed leadership/court costs/reimbursements for trying to stick me with a $350 ticket. The real story was one where these officers were intentionally over-charging motorists to intimidate them to working with the DA to plea down to careless or reckless driving charges that the DA would offer a 0-point, non-adjudicated civil infraction for. Thus, they were using pressure and intimidation to run up ticket revenue.

Also, the driver of the black Camaro pled guilty to reckless driving and they fined him $500, to which he paid. He was the band director at one of the local high schools. He is the one who told the newspaper that he was racing and beat the Mustang. The school fired him for that statement (maybe had something to do with me going to the board and complaining about school leadership and street racing doesn't exactly set a good example).

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

2017. NW Florida, spring time... rain. I was driving my 1,000whp Mustang 5.0 home from an evening car show. It started raining on the way home. That car was a nightmare to drive in perfect weather, in rain, it might as well have been a Colorado snowstorm. This is an important detail.

I was on a major highway going through Panama City. Up ahead were three traffic lights, each spaced about 1/8 mi apart. I'm in the left lane stopped at the first light. On my right, a black Camaro SS (2015 or so). He was revving his engine, to which I ignored. I was driving a car with an F1-R ProCharger making 20psi of boost. It sounded like a jet engine. That Camaro was just not even worth the gas on a good sunny day, but in the rain... nah, I never put a car on a YouTube fail video and it wasn't going to happen that day either.

Light turns green, I accelerate slowly. The Camaro dumps his clutch and stalls. I turn to my wife and laugh and keep going. I signal a lane change to the right as I needed to turn just past the next light up ahead. As I begin to merge, my collision avoidance goes off as the Camaro was trying to squirt past me. I was rolling in 3rd at about 40mph. I goosed it up to 55mph and passed him. The light ahead changed to red and we both stopped. Again, he's revving his engine. I wave him off. Light turned green, he floors it. I admittedly launched my car in 2nd just to show him what he's messing with... which produced about a 2 second burnout... but I never made it above 45mph. This is another important point.

As I neared my turn, out come no fewer than 3 Panama City police cars. They pulled us both over.

The first officer approaches is a female. She asks if I am OK. "Yeah, I'm fine... why?" I replied. She told me that they have me on radar doing over 130mph. I told her, not this car you don't, and not that Camaro either. So, second cop shows up and says, "Look, we have you going over 100mph in a 45mph zone. This is a felony in the State of Florida."

I replied, very shortly, "I have data loggers in this car, a 360 degree dash cam, and everything I've done has been recorded. I'll accept whatever paperwork you have, but if arrest me for a felony and tow this vehicle, it isn't going to end well." He asked if I was threatening him. "Since I am now under a felony investigation, I will no longer make any more public statements without the presence of an attorney."

They left me sitting there for THREE HOURS. They'd randomly come and ask for my license... come back for my insurance. They wanted to see where my cameras were and what this data logging equipment I had was all about. In short, I had a track data recorder plugged into a folded up laptop mounted beneath the passenger seat. It recorded visual images, as well as things like the car's speed, RPM, shift points, G-Force loading, etc.

He tried to tell me that was illegal. I informed him that it is illegal to drive with the laptop open. It is not illegal to record data passively.

They brought in a drug dog and had it sniff the car (I'm a tea-totaller... I don't even drink alcohol). Then, they pulled me out to do a sobriety check. Once back in the car, I waited another 30 minutes before he handed me a ticket for "Racing on Highways." This too, is an important detail.

In Florida, a racing charge is not a felony. It's a class II misdemeanor, that, if convicted, mandates a 1-year loss of license, and up to a $10,000 fine, and up to 1 year in jail. Normally, these max fines aren't applied, but are instead used to threaten drivers into taking a plea on a lesser violation.

I asked him who I was racing, and of course he motioned towards the black Camaro. I nodded and said OK. He asked why I did it. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about and that I'm not going to discuss this any further.

Flash forward a couple weeks to my arraignment. In Florida, they put you into a pool of other offenders and you await your turn to talk to the DA and then make a plea. I had my data and some videos from that night. You don't need a lawyer at this point to make a not guilty plea. I got called back to conference with the DA. He says, "OK, let's see what this is about..." Opened the case folder and he started laughing. "Oh my..." He pulled out 1 small yellow citation that read, "Mr. Gordon was racing." That's it. No speed, no video, no data or witness statements from any of the other officers.

He said that he assumes I disagree with that statement, and I confirmed it for him. I then showed him all of my data, the videos of the car driving 20 minutes prior to and including the incident. My speed never went over 50mph. In my video, it showed me pass the cops standing in an abandoned auto parts store parking lot, all huddled together. They may have heard my car, but there was no way for any of them to have used any speed detection devices. Further, my car on drag radials, could run a 1/4mi in under 10s at 160mph. There wasn't enough room between those two lights for me to get it up past 100, more less 130mph in the rain. Later, the female officer admitted that the sergeant on the scene claimed he was behind on his quota and he was going to "stick it to these assholes somehow."

It was at this point that the DA asked me, "So, what do you do for work, this is some cool stuff?" It was at that point, for the first time since this whole ordeal began, that I informed him that I was the state director of strategic communications for the FL Dept. of Law Enforcement. The DA thought I worked in the auto industry. He was a bit taken aback and asked why I didn't tell the cops on the scene, they would have probably let me go. He then offered me a careless driving charge at 0-points and a $350 fine. I declined his offer. He looked over his file folder again, and ended up not wanting to press charges and petitioned the judge to dismiss the case, in which he did.

To sum things up, I ended up suing the Panama City police department, The Panama City News Herald (who refused to pull the story citing that I was street racing at speeds in excess of 100mph through a residential area), and filed official complaints of misconduct through the internal investigator's office. 6 months post incident, the Panama City chief of operations was fired and two of the three officers involved were terminated. The female officer was suspended for 30 days. The newspaper was forced to make a public retraction and reprint the story, accurately. I was also given back pay due to me also having been suspended pending the outcome of the arraignment (you can't be a criminal and work in law enforcement administration). FWIW, I am a consultant, not a state employee, so I don't get paid leave. All told, the PCPD ended up paying out over $180,000 in retraining officers/replacing their departed leadership/court costs/reimbursements for trying to stick me with a $350 ticket. The real story was one where these officers were intentionally over-charging motorists to intimidate them to working with the DA to plea down to careless or reckless driving charges that the DA would offer a 0-point, non-adjudicated civil infraction for. Thus, they were using pressure and intimidation to run up ticket revenue.

Also, the driver of the black Camaro pled guilty to reckless driving and they fined him $500, to which he paid. He was the band director at one of the local high schools. He is the one who told the newspaper that he was racing and beat the Mustang. The school fired him for that statement (maybe had something to do with me going to the board and complaining about school leadership and street racing doesn't exactly set a good example).
Woah........
Good job on every point.
Know your rights.
Refuse to speak when the officer reads you your rights, until you are in the presence of an Attorney.

That is some story👍
Thanks for your service to our country.
Peace😎

Reactions: Bill the 'cat

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
317 Posts
It's never happened to me. I plead guilty, however, to reckless driving back in 1967 when I took my dad's SS-396 Chevelle from DC to Springfield, VA, one night after work and pegged the cop's radar at over 120+.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
787 Posts

2017. NW Florida, spring time... rain. I was driving my 1,000whp Mustang 5.0 home from an evening car show. It started raining on the way home. That car was a nightmare to drive in perfect weather, in rain, it might as well have been a Colorado snowstorm. This is an important detail.

My pants just got a little bit tighter reading this

I am going to go to court and absolutely stutter horrendously but in the back of my mind, I'll be speaking as eloquently as you typed this. Hats off. I dont hate all cops but there haven't been many situations for me to like them, I'll leave my statement at that.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
150 Posts
That could have been a made for TV movie right there...Could easily cast Vin Diesel and The Rock in there.

Reactions: hansman
1 - 20 of 64 Posts