SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, local shop has a 18k mile Hellcat engine complete. Does not have ECU, or trans just the engine, blower, and front drive for 6k.

It was a purchased for a project and the customer backed out.

I'm picking it up when I get back from Georgia today.

I was told by the Steve White group the harness is the virtually the same, I'll need to tackle cooking, bypass valve, and MAP sensor.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
305 Posts
also u need hellcat screen,trans & ECU.
with that amount go for turbo kit, u will get more hp than hellcat setup and u will save money.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with that amount go for turbo kit, u will get more hp than hellcat setup and u will save money.
Really? I've seen others swapped into earlier cars without the screens and I believe they are tuned on factory ECU'S.

I'm going to do a pulley and headers when I get it tuned so I should be over 700whp. I doubt you can build a 700whp turbo build for under what I'll have into the engine.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys swap Hellcat short blocks in their Scat Packs and 392 cars quiet often, and from the shop I talked to today about tuning said I'll need a bypass valve to replace the factory one as I won't be able to use it.

At the end of the day it's still a mechanical piece. I won't be needing the gas pedal, screen and ECY from a HC - Unless a tuner can weigh in on this.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,227 Posts
I would double the cost for this project. The motor is 6K plus installation etc will be another 6K. For 12K you could build a 426 stroker in your car. Just my $0.02.

R.K.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would double the cost for this project. The motor is 6K plus installation etc will be another 6K. For 12K you could build a 426 stroker in your car. Just my $0.02.

R.K.
Really a 426 for 12k installed tuned and supercharged making over 700hp?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,227 Posts
Really a 426 for 12k installed tuned and supercharged making over 700hp?
A built 426 probably makes 600rwhp on pump gas. That's 30hp shy of a Hellcat A8. You can put better pistons in your 392, supercharge it and make the same HP on lower boost than the Hellcat. Keep in mind though, you're on borrowed time with the rest of your car's components be it installing the Hellcat motor or going a different route. There's a reason why most of us just sold our NA cars and bought Hellcats. Sell your car, take that 12K and put it down on a Hellcat and have a way better platform to start with.

R.K.

·
Registered
In The Market
135 Posts
A built 426 probably makes 600rwhp on pump gas. That's 30hp shy of a Hellcat A8. You can put better pistons in your 392, supercharge it and make the same HP on lower boost than the Hellcat. Keep in mind though, you're on borrowed time with the rest of your car's components be it installing the Hellcat motor or going a different route. There's a reason why most of us just sold our NA cars and bought Hellcats. Sell your car, take that 12K and put it down on a Hellcat and have a way better platform to start with.

R.K.
Not following the financial logic here.

Your at $5k for a stroker kit, still need all the other engine building parts (gaskets, oil pump, etc) and they guy will likely need to pay someone to build and install the engine. The stroker also likely needs machine work, so add another $1,500+.

He'll then still need a Supercharger kit and injectors.

With the HC engine he'd be able to sell his running 6.4 and likely get $4k+ for it making it almost a wash. He won't have an engine to sell with a stroker.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,227 Posts
Not following the financial logic here.

Your at $5k for a stroker kit, still need all the other engine building parts (gaskets, oil pump, etc) and they guy will likely need to pay someone to build and install the engine. The stroker also likely needs machine work, so add another $1,500+.

He'll then still need a Supercharger kit and injectors.

With the HC engine he'd be able to sell his running 6.4 and likely get $4k+ for it making it almost a wash. He won't have an engine to sell with a stroker.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
He can’t add a blower to the stroker because the rest of the car won’t be able to handle the added power. Makes sense now?

No one will buy his scat pack with a Hellcat motor swap in the future Either. He’ll be lucky if he doesn’t lose more money on his car. I sure wouldn’t want someone’s project car.
R.K.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He can’t add a blower to the stroker because the rest of the car won’t be able to handle the added power. Makes sense now?

No one will buy his scat pack with a Hellcat motor swap in the future Either. He’ll be lucky if he doesn’t lose more money on his car. I sure wouldn’t want someone’s project car.
R.K.
Oh no! You wouldn't buy ny brand new car that had a Hellcat engine swapped into... I better just stop now since someone on a forum said he wouldn't buy my car.

iStock_000010665240Small.jpg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

R.K.
Also, all.kidding aside there plenty of built blower Scat Packs that have gone 10's on the factory HP70, on stock rear ends. I'm only shooting for stock fish power. These cars can handle power just fine.

Its forum information that discourages people from building their cars.

Fact is I scored a hell of a good deal. It doesn't take trillions of dollars to make it work. I could even take the Hellcat blower off and sell it, and slap another blower on for a minimal investment and still be several grand in the positive.

The engine came with 2 red keys and a black key, it did have the ECU and a gas pedal, and the radiator and heat exchangers.

Next week it gets shipped to my shop for inspection, and then I need to plan the rest of the build.

I am stoked!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Just talked to a guy today at a show with a whipple-charged 392 wide body. The builder was there too they said that it made 800 to the wheels. The bottom end was done as part of the whipple build. I thought that it was a pretty good idea. I have no idea of what the build cost.

·
Registered
96 Posts

R.K.
i owned a 19 1320 for about 5 months....i looked into supercharging it at the cost of $12k. i was able to trade my 1320 plus $12k and bought a 15 Hellcat A8 with 10k miles last November. i loved my 1320, but wanted to go faster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts