SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been chatting with someone who is in the process of buying a RE and they sent me a pic of the engine bay. The car has 4700 miles and the belt is very dark to the point of looking black in pics. Also some fraying just beginning on the edges. So naturally I went out to garage and looked at mine with roughly 3200 miles. Mine looks much greener with no fraying yet.
This got me to wondering if his was run hard and the belt is a way to tell. Mine has never been run very hard, no burnouts, nothing, and it looks much better than his. His is a model year older than mine as well.
Does the green go away with time? Or will running it hard accelerate the discoloration? Or both?

· Registered
2021 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
635 Posts
Not in my case. Mine turned black. I do run up down canyon roads, but I’m only at only 4K miles. I don’t have any fraying. I have not even done a 1/4 mile pass as of yet. No burn outs, and my Tires are in perfect shape. My service manager buddy thinks maybe oil mist is getting on it. My car is sucking down a quart evert 1500 miles. Im in the process of trying to find a good dealer to take it to in the east bay of Nor Cal. It stressful taking this car to a stealership.

· Registered
2021 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
635 Posts
I have these fun spots under my car every time I park. Guessing that’s where possible oil mist is coming from. I was told to wait until 5k miles before taking her in for oil consumotion issues.
Grey Font Concrete Soil Art

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,466 Posts
Exhaust and condensation mix dripping from exhaust system. No concern here.

· HOTM Winner
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have these fun spots under my car every time I park. Guessing that’s where possible oil mist is coming from. I was told to wait until 5k miles before taking her in for oil consumotion issues. View attachment 584921
That is 100% normal. Soot in your exhaust mixed with condensation.

· Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
441 Posts
I have these fun spots under my car every time I park. Guessing that’s where possible oil mist is coming from. I was told to wait until 5k miles before taking her in for oil consumotion issues. View attachment 584921
I’ve got this every cold start. Have an old drip pan in place in the garage to catch them so they won’t stain. Warm up a bit in garage then roll out fairly quickly in drive as to not drop on the ground.

glad to hear others have similar.

surprised you have it at shut down, I’d expect the car to be so hot itd vaporize.

I’m at 3800 miles and my belt is getting darker but is still very green no fraying. You got a pic of the black belt??

· HOTM Winner
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m at 3800 miles and my belt is getting darker but is still very green no fraying. You got a pic of the black belt??
It’s def green but not as much compared to mine. Just wasnt sure if it‘s normal wear or if the wear gets accelerated by hard pulls or racing etc.

He sent me a better pic, can see the green more than in other pics.
His:

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive fuel system

Mine:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas
s

Mine is starting to lose the green too on one side. At least his even lol.

Reactions: sleeper_redeye

· Registered
2,522 Posts
Yeah slow I’d say the darker it is the harder it’s been run, the slight fraying is not necessarily an indicator of near impending doom, it’s just that it has seen repetitive force loads on it

· HOTM Winner
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah slow I’d say the darker it is the harder it’s been run, the slight fraying is not necessarily an indicator of near impending doom, it’s just that it has seen repetitive force loads on it
Kind of what I was thinking but not sure what actually makes it changes color like that. Almost like the green is burning off.

Reactions: Gotgap

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,736 Posts
ive got 20k on mine now the belt is not very green anymore. I don't run the car hard at all, never even gone WOT in 1st gear. it does have some fraying along the edges.

· Registered
441 Posts
The belt takes a beating when you romp on it. I’m sure this is normal wear just like how oil and other fluids blacken with wear.

The tensioner swings big time as the belt articulates:

I’m sure if you drive it real easy it’ll stay greener longer and all other wear items will wear less too

· Registered
441 Posts
Not in my case. Mine turned black. I do run up down canyon roads, but I’m only at only 4K miles. I don’t have any fraying. I have not even done a 1/4 mile pass as of yet. No burn outs, and my Tires are in perfect shape. My service manager buddy thinks maybe oil mist is getting on it. My car is sucking down a quart evert 1500 miles. Im in the process of trying to find a good dealer to take it to in the east bay of Nor Cal. It stressful taking this car to a stealership.
The dealer in Newark ca has been pretty straight up in my experience (2 oil changes so far).

tell Ace in service another local Redeye owner sent u ;)

1 qt every 1500 seems like WAY too much

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
256 Posts
My last hellcat didn’t quit burning oil till the 20k mark and then didn’t burn a drop up to 55k when I traded it in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.