SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone who has owned both or driven both please give some input. Goal is to own both cars, but what are your thoughts and experiences

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,022 Posts
My buddy is a huge Ford fanboy, actually selling his gt350 for personal reasons, and I let him drive my Hellcat and he was impressed with the power and handling but his ego wouldn't let him say he liked it. According to him Ford can almost do no wrong and Dodge is dumb, old tech, that just keeps throwing power at the car to keep dumb people satiated. The cars serve and fulfill 2 different roles.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,313 Posts
I’ve never sniffed a 350 but I own a ‘20 500 and have had several Hellcats including a Redeye. The Hellcats are totally different cars. Cruisers with insane amount of power. Lots of useful interior and trunk space. The infotainment systems and HK just blows away Ford’s BO system, imo.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
787 Posts
I had a pullied 2012 GT500, that's the closest Ford and Dodge came with a comparison. Only big difference was size and the straight axle on the shelby vs independent rear on hellcat. The shelby drove more like a muscle car because of it but the weight made it feel more nimble.

Between a S500 GT350 and a hellcat there wouldn't be much to compare, they're entirely different. As stated before, the Hellcats interior package beats anything Ford produced, short of the Gen 6 ZL1 I dont think any interior is as good IMO.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
150 Posts
In 2015, I got to take a few hot laps with a new GT350 at Lime Rock Park. Ford was doing a Ford Performance Day show casing all their performance line. They gave us a whole presentation on the car and let us do a few hot laps on the track. They really invested a lot of money into making it a road race car. It did handle beautifully, and it did sound amazing.

However, I was a little disappointed with the power. Flat out on the straightaway, it didn't feel as peppy as I would have expected. While it does have like 530 HP, it only has 430ft/lb torque, and I could really feel that HP to TQ deficit on the straightaway. Even with the higher revving engine, it almost felt to me, that I didn't feel like revving up that high anyway as it wasn't pulling any faster up there.

I didn't have a Hellcat then, but had my Viper (similar HP, but 500 ft/lb to wheels), which felt way faster in the straight. Another one of the Viper guys there said the same thing after his test drive.

As others have mentioned...they are different cars, but what's your intended use?

Reactions: HawkyTrackola

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
106 Posts
To anyone who has owned both or driven both please give some input. Goal is to own both cars, but what are your thoughts and experiences
I'm pretty sure you're the guy that was also interested in a ZL 1LE. Well, I also had a GT350 before the Redeye. It was a great and very fun car to drive, a real "drivers car", felt raw. Handled awesome, great brakes, great recaros, sounds awesome, much softer street ride than ZL1 1LE, but compared to 797HP or 650HP, 550HP in the GT350 just felt noticeably slower than the others. The prices on them used are much more reasonable than a ZL 1LE and they would make for a great garage mate to a Hellcat IMO.

fef_n.jpg

·
Registered
417 Posts
Only had the chance to ride in one but the GT350 felt more like a Scat pack that can handle better IMHO. ZL1 and GT500 are more in the same comparisons with power to weight ratio for a HC.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
338 Posts
I would absolutely recommend a ZL1 all day before I would EVER, and I do mean EVER, recommend a GT350.

In fact, even the Camaro SS 1LE is a better car all day because a) you can track it under warranty, b) has the cooling the GT350 doesnt, and c) will actually hold up under the abuse.

You have to literally go GT 350 PP2 just to buy an equal car to the SS 1LE.

So why pay brand new SS 1LE price for a used GT 350?

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
787 Posts
I would absolutely recommend a ZL1 all day before I would EVER, and I do mean EVER, recommend a GT350.

In fact, even the Camaro SS 1LE is a better car all day because a) you can track it under warranty, b) has the cooling the GT350 doesnt, and c) will actually hold up under the abuse.

I always wanted a gen 5 with the bar taillights (2014?) but they don't get a whole lot faster with just a pulley, theyre great with a better cam and full exhaust but just a smaller pulley doesn't wake these up like other stock boost cars.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,469 Posts
Totally different cars. Do you want a car that goes fast in a straight line or one that can handle? A more fair comparison in the price range would be the Hellcat and GT500 but the GT500 is more well rounded in all areas.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,469 Posts

Agreed, the 6th Gen ZL1 is a monster in all areas much like the GT500.

Reactions: DevilsReject97

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
134 Posts
All I know is saw two mustang guys on the road. The newer of the two won in a straight line and they were congratulating eachother at the light. The guy in the 99 gt just couldn’t believe the power of the newer supercharged other stang.

as the newer stang was about to peel off to the right I took the middle lane in myRedeye and blewbetween them.

newer stang skipped his turn and poured it on. Reached a straight in Mexico and it was on. The new stang saw nothing but my Redeye taillights. Hilarious. Cooled it down Got to the next light and the mustang guy was pissed. Revving it out super hard. Another new dodge (Durango) pulled up next to me. Guy and gal in a Durango laughing their asses off

HELLCAT ALL THE WAY THANKYOU

XD

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,469 Posts
All I know is saw two mustang guys on the road. The newer of the two won in a straight line and they were congratulating eachother at the light. The guy in the 99 gt just couldn’t believe the power of the newer supercharged other stang.

as the newer stang was about to peel off to the right I took the middle lane in myRedeye and blewbetween them.

newer stang skipped his turn and poured it on. Reached a straight in Mexico and it was on. The new stang saw nothing but my Redeye taillights. Hilarious. Cooled it down Got to the next light and the mustang guy was pissed. Revving it out super hard. Another new dodge (Durango) pulled up next to me. Guy and gal in a Durango laughing their asses off

HELLCAT ALL THE WAY THANKYOU

XD
The only newer supercharged Mustang is the GT500 and you wouldn't outrun one of those unless the owner can't drive.

Reactions: SRTCVO

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welp, I was in front so you tell me.

at this level the driver becomes a part of the picture

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,469 Posts
Welp, I was in front so you tell me.

at this level the driver becomes a part of the picture
Sure, and it's your side of the story so it must be true.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Didn’t say I out ran him. Just said I was in front.

he def was with me, I just happened to be in front the whole time.

I need to get a dash cam so I can show you guys what I get into =)

1 - 20 of 164 Posts