SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my baby arrived last week Thursday. Pitch Black Charger 392 with technology group, sunroof, laguna leather and Harman Kardon sound system. I was giddy like a school boy. Remote started it 3 times in the show room. I am in love.

So to the point. I had a Ram truck with the Alpine system and it rocked, had fantastic sound. So when I decided to order my new baby I signed up for the $1950 sound upgrade to Harman Kardon sound system. "19 speakers with 900 watts Amplifier". AN amazing car, powerful engine, cool looks and then when I am tired of the exhaust sound killer tunes.

SO after a few days of driving with my perma grin I turned the tunes on and.........WTF!!!
What a load of junk! Adjusting the equalizer makes almost no difference. Not sure why they have a subwoofer it is useless. You can only hear bass once you almost max the system out which then hurts your ears because the highs are so tinny. I took it back to the dealer and had multiple salesman "play" with it they all agreed they could hear no difference playing with all the different radio settings. They wanted me to drop the car off with service department, there take is everything is working. So now what why did I pay almost $2k for a sound system that is worse than my daughters Kia. Has anyone else had an issue.

I have read in past years that the HK upgrade was a bust but it seemed that things had been fixed.
I pulled the car apart today to make sure everything was plugged and and working and it is just extremely poorly. Any ideas? Can I rip it out and get my money back from Chrysler. Can't believe I have wasted this money.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
11,026 Posts
Maybe you need a UConnect software update. HK sound system Equalizer is at mid level or below the bars and it still sounds super crisp at all levels and the bass hits hard at volume 20.
It's the best sound investment for me considering I've had many aftermarket upgrade sound systems and this one is on par. Another plus is It hits hard and doesn't take up another 100lbs of woofers and space in the trunk.

·
<Insert witty title here>
Charger SRT Hellcat
510 Posts
So my baby arrived last week Thursday. Pitch Black Charger 392 with technology group, sunroof, laguna leather and Harman Kardon sound system. I was giddy like a school boy. Remote started it 3 times in the show room. I am in love.

So to the point. I had a Ram truck with the Alpine system and it rocked, had fantastic sound. So when I decided to order my new baby I signed up for the $1950 sound upgrade to Harman Kardon sound system. "19 speakers with 900 watts Amplifier". AN amazing car, powerful engine, cool looks and then when I am tired of the exhaust sound killer tunes.

SO after a few days of driving with my perma grin I turned the tunes on and.........WTF!!!
What a load of junk! Adjusting the equalizer makes almost no difference. Not sure why they have a subwoofer it is useless. You can only hear bass once you almost max the system out which then hurts your ears because the highs are so tinny. I took it back to the dealer and had multiple salesman "play" with it they all agreed they could hear no difference playing with all the different radio settings. They wanted me to drop the car off with service department, there take is everything is working. So now what why did I pay almost $2k for a sound system that is worse than my daughters Kia. Has anyone else had an issue.

I have read in past years that the HK upgrade was a bust but it seemed that things had been fixed.
I pulled the car apart today to make sure everything was plugged and and working and it is just extremely poorly. Any ideas? Can I rip it out and get my money back from Chrysler. Can't believe I have wasted this money.
You're not alone. The radio side of the system is simply awful. The media side (usb, sd, bluetooth) sounds amazing. They dropped the ball with FM/SXM processing.

Send an email to Ralph at [edited for privacy] with your findings and thoughts. He told me while there has been some concern over the audio quality, there hasn't been too many people reporting it. Please take the time to send him an email. Title it "Harman Kardon Audio Group FM/SXM Issues - Charger" and hopefully with enough feedback, something is done. Mention Bryan sent you so he can be upset with me for another day.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
11,026 Posts
You're not alone. The radio side of the system is simply awful. The media side (usb, sd, bluetooth) sounds amazing. They dropped the ball with FM/SXM processing.

Send an email to Ralph at [email protected] with your findings and thoughts. He told me while there has been some concern over the audio quality, there hasn't been too many people reporting it. Please take the time to send him an email. Title it "Harman Kardon Audio Group FM/SXM Issues - Charger" and hopefully with enough feedback, something is done. Mention Bryan sent you so he can be upset with me for another day.
Just an additional note we have HD FM in Houston and it sounds really good. Non HD FM sounds the same as any other car though

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,553 Posts
I think it's actually 'just 18' speakers, although some places it mentions 19. When playing modern music, via ipod connecting by Bluetooth, it sounds great. When an old song, like Led Zep or Black Sabbath, comes on, in sounds like it's been turned way down, and really needs more power to allow to crank louder to compensate.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
600 Posts
My Hellcat has been stored all winter but when I got it back in November I was very dissapointed in the sound of HK system. I have only listened to it in FM and SXM mode so far. The first place I took it was my local audio installer so I could show him how bad it sounds. He agreed and I told him that I would be back in the spring to see what he could do with it.
I am going to experiment with the USB and SD option to see if there is a difference. I also have SXM on my phone so I can try hooking that up to the AUX jack.

·
<Insert witty title here>
Charger SRT Hellcat
510 Posts
My Hellcat has been stored all winter but when I got it back in November I was very dissapointed in the sound of HK system. I have only listened to it in FM and SXM mode so far. The first place I took it was my local audio installer so I could show him how bad it sounds. He agreed and I told him that I would be back in the spring to see what he could do with it.
I am going to experiment with the USB and SD option to see if there is a difference. I also have SXM on my phone so I can try hooking that up to the AUX jack.
Send an email to Ralph at [edited for privacy] with your findings and thoughts. Even though the Challenger owners didn't have a choice in sound systems, the issues still exist in those cars.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
21 Posts
Serious I mean Siruis XM dang I meant Sirius XM darn autocorrect phone
I just emailed Ralph as well... Love my 2015 Charger SRT 392!

But the sound system is embarrassing! $2000 bought what can only be described as a mediocre stock system on a $56k vehicle... I just can't believe someone honestly engineered and built this system and truly thought is was what customers were expecting for $2000. For those out there that are happy with the system, I'd only ask one question: have you ever heard what $2000 in aftermarket amplifiers and speakers sounds like?

And I don't ask that to be demeaning in any way, but as a honest question to how you can compare if we got remotely close to the value for our money if this HK system is your only point of reference?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
11,026 Posts
I just emailed Ralph as well... Love my 2015 Charger SRT 392!

But the sound system is embarrassing! $2000 bought what can only be described as a mediocre stock system on a $56k vehicle... I just can't believe someone honestly engineered and built this system and truly thought is was what customers were expecting for $2000. For those out there that are happy with the system, I'd only ask one question: have you ever heard what $2000 in aftermarket amplifiers and speakers sounds like?

And I don't ask that to be demeaning in any way, but as a honest question to how you can compare if we got remotely close to the value for our money if this HK system is your only point of reference?
Talk to Ralph, my last response was too long after reading it over so I removed it. I've had car show sound systems and I really don't wanna go into details. I just hope you get the right answers and that they fix your sound system problems. Cheers man

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.