SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First fill up today, and couldn't get the thing to accept anything but a dribble of fuel from the pump before kicking off.

Is this a common thing, or just an issue with my TH?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Might just be that pump. Make sure the nozzle is fully inserted. Some people claim to have luck with putting it in with the handle facing up. Also you can try not fully depressing the handle, it will take longer but won’t keep clicking off.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Funny. I had the exact same thing happen on the first fill-up of my ‘14 Grand Cherokee. Just a Pentastar, but only happened once on its first fill. Weird.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might just be that pump. Make sure the nozzle is fully inserted. Some people claim to have luck with putting it in with the handle facing up. Also you can try not fully depressing the handle, it will take longer but won’t keep clicking off.
Definitely not the pump, been there many times before with other vehicles. It's most assuredly the TH, or more specifically, something to do with the tube/baffles. I tried the nozzle in every position imaginable (full inserted, partially inserted, upside down, etc, no change. I could barely depress the trigger without it clicking off, like the tank was completely full. Taking 15 minutes to fill a vehicle is utterly ridiculous. I've read other Dodge/Chrysler vehicles having issues with vent tubes and the baffles in the tube. Good thing I have an appoint at the dealership tomorrow (undercoating, mis-aligned panels, interior protection, back seat mechanism), hopefully they'll be able to address it.

·
HOTM Winner
7,982 Posts
Been having a similar issue with my 19 Challenger HC. Never had the problem (this much) on my 16.

·
Premium Member
12,291 Posts
Been having a similar issue with my 19 Challenger HC. Never had the problem (this much) on my 16.

Stick your phone under the car in video mode and see if the hose going into the tank is kinked/twisted...?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have the same trouble with my new 2018 SRT Durango. It definitely depends on which station pump I am using to put in fuel.

Some station pumps I struggle like crazy, slowly turning the handle and restarting, until the pump quits kicking off.

I found one local gas station where I did not have to turn the handle at all and it never kicked the pump off.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Definitely not the pump, been there many times before with other vehicles. It's most assuredly the TH, or more specifically, something to do with the tube/baffles. I tried the nozzle in every position imaginable (full inserted, partially inserted, upside down, etc, no change. I could barely depress the trigger without it clicking off, like the tank was completely full. Taking 15 minutes to fill a vehicle is utterly ridiculous. I've read other Dodge/Chrysler vehicles having issues with vent tubes and the baffles in the tube. Good thing I have an appoint at the dealership tomorrow (undercoating, mis-aligned panels, interior protection, back seat mechanism), hopefully they'll be able to address it.

A few trackhawk guys with similar issues have reported that the vent tube was rubbing and got damaged.
Are you lowered? Some of the mentioned issues above were caused by the spring install, but not all of them.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I would have the purge valve checked.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few trackhawk guys with similar issues have reported that the vent tube was rubbing and got damaged.
Are you lowered? Some of the mentioned issues above were caused by the spring install, but not all of them.
No, not lowered yet. All stock

I would have the purge valve checked.
Noted

·
Premium Member
12,291 Posts
Our '06 Durango had an issue where it would burp fuel at about 2/3rds full while filling, there was a recall to change out the filler tube, once done it was fine....

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
+1 on the filler tube actually after thinking more about it. We’ve had a few that were defective at the shop on other cars. I guess there’s a little ball type valve that closes too early on some.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Just make sure to break the vaccum seal from pump nozzle to fill port. This will release pressure on the fuel vent line and let you fill up without it tripping the pump off a million times frustrating you. I found full insertion (heh) then pull pump handle down while inserted no problems the vent system breathes cause the surface to surface seal is broken.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have this problem with the TH and my 2018 Ram truck but only at certain stations and even then not all pumps. I usually buy Exxon at a local station and have learned which pumps will give me trouble. They have 9 pumps and only 4 will pump with no issue. Shell station down the road never gives me a problem at any of their pumps. Never had an issue when buying gas out of town.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have this problem too and believe it has to do with the angle of the fill tube (or something). What works for me is to insert nozzle normally, lock the hold open device then lift the rear of the nozzle all the way up, as opposed to holding it down while pumping. It sucks because you get tired of holding it up (25 gallons) but now it usually doesn't stop pumping until the tank is full...Try that out and let me know if it works.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts