SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what people are getting for their demon as a trade in or how much a dealer offered for one.

I’m trying to sell mine and the dealer offered 80k. It’s a loaded 97k msrp demon with 2,800 miles. I’m obviously going to go the private sale route.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,554 Posts
Do not recall anyone trying to trade in a Demon. But the dealer's offer kind of lives up to (or down to) expectations.

All the ADM and hype for the Demon has a short half life.

When it comes time to trade in the car the odds are the dealer will offer something around what these cars sell for dealer to dealer.

Without a doubt though if you traded in the car it would be listed for something way above what you were allowed for a trade in.

As soon as the dealer got its hands on the car suddenly the car would be a one of a kind, collectible, an "investment" and worthy of a good markup which the buyer should pay because the car will only increase in value.

Oh, might add if you go the private sale route and if you get low ball offers and if you feel the urge to crush the car count to 10...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
654 Posts
I know someone who traded in their mildly equipped black Demon about 4 months ago and got his msrp right back.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
1,704 Posts
sell on the forum or have a dealer consign it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Check out a 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon RWD - $107,000 - $107,000 on CarGurus at https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/255140829

MSRP was 97k

View attachment 545572
That's the asking price. Would not surprise me in the case of your Demon had you accepted the $80K trade in value offer the car would have soon thereafter been offered for sale for far more. A 25% (or more) mark up is not uncommon.

Thus your traded in Demon might have been listed for $100K or more, $107K or even higher.

Price is not fact only an opinion.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
244 Posts
I’m in this exact situation right now... 97k MSRP... I was offered 90k for trade in with 5500 miles... I can use the sales tax credit of 5k... which would put me at 2k under sticker after a year and a half. If I could get 94k I’d do it for the sales tax credit. I will find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
244 Posts
Just heard from the dealer. 92k trade giving me roughly 6k sales tax credit (this is a big deal because Illinois is eliminating sales tax credit on trade-in's on Jan 1st). Soooo.... roughly a few hundred over what I paid for the Demon (since I'm using the credit). 5,500 screaming miles of smiles for the price of sales tax on the original purchase. Sad to see it go, but I can always get another down the road if I really get the itch again. Cheers! and good luck OP

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Just heard from the dealer. 92k trade giving me roughly 6k sales tax credit (this is a big deal because Illinois is eliminating sales tax credit on trade-in's on Jan 1st). Soooo.... roughly a few hundred over what I paid for the Demon (since I'm using the credit). 5,500 screaming miles of smiles for the price of sales tax on the original purchase. Sad to see it go, but I can always get another down the road if I really get the itch again. Cheers! and good luck OP
A few hundred over what you paid for the car and 5500 miles of use is not the return many expected from Demon ownership but it could have been worse.

Regarding the get another down the road... I wanted a Porsche Carrera GT but they were running around $250K or a bit more. Thought I'd wait a few years and pick up one for much less. Hah! The price has doubled or more and if $250K was out of my price range you can be sure $500K or more is too.

My point is you might want to get another Demon down the road but you may find the price has gone up. While I don't necessarily believe this will happen there is that possibility.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
244 Posts
A few hundred over what you paid for the car and 5500 miles of use is not the return many expected from Demon ownership but it could have been worse.

Regarding the get another down the road... I wanted a Porsche Carrera GT but they were running around $250K or a bit more. Thought I'd wait a few years and pick up one for much less. Hah! The price has doubled or more and if $250K was out of my price range you can be sure $500K or more is too.

My point is you might want to get another Demon down the road but you may find the price has gone up. While I don't necessarily believe this will happen there is that possibility.
True but hard to speculate and it won't be immediate. I still have the Ford GT that I purchased new in '06... I didn't buy it as an investment, I still own and drive it regularly (not planning on ever selling until I can't get in and out of it LOL)... For the first 3 years it hovered at sticker then dropped about 20% in value... it stayed that way for another few years then they popped up to the 300's for a year or two. Now they can be had for about 100k over sticker, but this all took time (13 years as of now). Where they go is anyones guess, but very few cars (Z8, Carrera GT, 918, BMW 1M, etc) will jump in value in this short of a time period. What I love about the Demon is that 80% are still in the wrapper, reminding me of the GNX's, which pretty much stayed the same price for 15 to 20 years and only zero mile cars went up slightly in value. Now they are fairly hot items but they are 32 years old... Figuring maintenance, storage, insurance etc... very few actually made money (except for dealers LOL). I figure in a year or two the Demon prices will likely hover or drop slightly on wrapper dust collectors, unfortunately I love driving my cars so I see this as a decent temporary escape plan.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,971 Posts

Tim K said way back at the Woodward event that he settled on 3,000 cars to not piss off the Mopar buyers but also that the car retains its value. Never said anything about a return on investment.
Big difference

The car is worth its MSRP give or take even with 5-10k miles on it. Maybe a little more for under 1000 miles. But thats about where it ends. People asking 120k missed the boat by about 12 months.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,971 Posts
BitDrive
Is your old Demon at Rock River Ford?

Just as I saw you trade in the Demon for a Raptor I noticed the Raptor gone at RRF and a black Demon in the showroom.

I drive by there almost daily

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
244 Posts
BitDrive
Is your old Demon at Rock River Ford?

Just as I saw you trade in the Demon for a Raptor I noticed the Raptor gone at RRF and a black Demon in the showroom.

I drive by there almost daily
Hahah!!! Yes, that’s me, small world! After I traded it in, I asked them if they had a buyer. Apparently they plan on keeping it at the store. However while I was there, they were just about to ship a CobraJet drag car down to AZ for a client. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up there as well. ?

They were nice to work with, I may be getting a call if they can get another allocation for a Shelby GT 500.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
2,594 Posts
So did they give you the Raptor plus cash on the deal?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts