SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a oil consumption test at 10,500 miles because i was advised of low oil when i checked it on my 2016 HC Charger. I got an oil change (3rd one only for this car) at my authorized dealership and it begun on 1-28-2020 and told to bring it periodically to follow up. I did and every time it was low but they would continue to tell me to bring it back at X amount of miles. Finally i go upset at my last follow up and they told me they would top off my oil and the next 750 miles they would check it again and if low on oil they would take action. Well that 750 miles has come at 14,075 miles and just like all the other times was low on oil again. They did some investigating and cant find where the oil is going/leaking from. They finally tell me they were going to contact FCA to request an new motor. I called SRT also and opened up a ticket so they are aware of this and they are following up also. So i am waiting for approval/denial. I am hoping they will replace it under the power train warranty and don't give me an lame excuse. Anyone have their engine replaced under warranty? how long the processes? how long you get your car back? drive the same? Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
180 Posts
So long as it's stock and doesn't have things like a blower pulley, tune, etc., you should be fine. If you do have any of those things done, they all can logically damage the engine in a way to make it burn or leak oil. If that's the case...

Either lost money or lawyers and more lost money is in your future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I haven't modified it just a k&n cold air intake. Hopefully just a new engine is all i get. -crosses fingers-

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,106 Posts
Talk about a dealer dragging their feet.....it's a 2016 HC and nothing has been done or even considered until now? Just WOW. Is this a factory warranty or a aftermarket one?

If there's no obvious oil leaks anywhere, try letting the car sit and idle for 25-30 minutes. Then hop in and give it a quick rev and look into the rear view mirror. If you see a bunch of smoke....most likely a valve seals/guides issue....or something else internal to the engine. Cat convertors can burn oil cleanly enough so you won't see smoke while driving around...needs to sit and idle (cools the convertor a bit) so the oil can build up. They should be able to check spark plugs and get an idea if its burning the oil??

Hopefully the drive train warranty is good and you'll get a new engine anyway.

Reactions: LoopsHcat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talk about a dealer dragging their feet.....it's a 2016 HC and nothing has been done or even considered until now? Just WOW. Is this a factory warranty or a aftermarket one?

If there's no obvious oil leaks anywhere, try letting the car sit and idle for 25-30 minutes. Then hop in and give it a quick rev and look into the rear view mirror. If you see a bunch of smoke....most likely a valve seals/guides issue....or something else internal to the engine. Cat convertors can burn oil cleanly enough so you won't see smoke while driving around...needs to sit and idle (cools the convertor a bit) so the oil can build up. They should be able to check spark plugs and get an idea if its burning the oil??

Hopefully the drive train warranty is good and you'll get a new engine anyway.
Yeah they said they got pictures of the spark plugs and "ready to build their case" to get authorization to get new engine. They didn't say anything about the sparks being bad or i didn't ask either. Cat converters were just replaced on the catalytic converter recall a month ago too. Just plain factor hc engine no mods just k&n cold air intake. They drug their asses to move on it. 7 months of it.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
180 Posts
I dunno, I'm a little more forceful of a personality I guess. If my HC was eating a quart of oil or more every 1,000-2,000 mi, it would have happened a grand total of one time. And I would have made their lives miserable until they did something about it. Then again, I hate my local Dodge dealership (they're utterly useless crooks in the service department) and like Cobra Kai, I show no mercy when dealing with those people.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno, I'm a little more forceful of a personality I guess. If my HC was eating a quart of oil or more every 1,000-2,000 mi, it would have happened a grand total of one time. And I would have made their lives miserable until they did something about it. Then again, I hate my local Dodge dealership (they're utterly useless crooks in the service department) and like Cobra Kai, I show no mercy when dealing with those people.
Yeah this particular dealership is like mile n half away from my house and I started my oil consumption test there if I would have known I would have gone to another one that was 10 miles away.

They started out sucking but then I started doing bad reviews and like a Christmas miracle they started to be genuinely sympathetic or made it seem that way. The pen is mightier than the sword I guess.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
180 Posts
Yeah this particular dealership is like mile n half away from my house and I started my oil consumption test there if I would have known I would have gone to another one that was 10 miles away.

They started out sucking but then I started doing bad reviews and like a Christmas miracle they started to be genuinely sympathetic or made it seem that way. The pen is mightier than the sword I guess.
I do the same thing. Like when they finally got my Hellcat in... they were supposed to tell me when it would be there because I wanted to basically be there and watch it be unloaded and do the reclaim myself. But, they didn't tell me until like 6 hours later. They didn't clean it, put a small dent in the right rear quarter and didn't clean all the gunk from the wheel protectors off.

THEN, they tried to screw me on the price. When it was ordered, we settled on a fair expected range. But, when I landed in the finance office, he tried to show me a price that was outlandish (as-in, I was expecting high 70s for the price due to options and my law enforcement and military veteran discounts and so on). The price he gave me was almost 90k. About 10 minutes before I told him to go double check his numbers, like maaaaagic the price comes back to 82500. "Sorry sir, I pulled the wrong vehicle into this deal." It gets better.

So I'm like, "What vehicle could you have possibly pulled into this deal? This is a small town dealership that gets like 2 392s in all year long and you mean to tell me there's a more expensive Hellcat somewhere else on this lot? Plus, that price is still all wrong. I'm going to go outside and headbutt my kneecaps for a minute while you get your crap together."

So, I go outside and, on the way I out, I pass by the sales desk and point at the sales manager, "Dude, you better go straighten out your finance guy because I'm 2 minutes from walking out of this hell hole."

5 minutes later, the general manager comes out and apologizes and tells me the car is now appropriately priced at $76,400. I replied, "Great, now we've been waiting 4 MONTHS on this car, you'd think, maybe, you guys would have had time to put this stuff in the system right... but hey. Whatever."

I go back in and the brat finance guy tries to sell me on this and that, decline decline decline. When I finished and signed on the bottom line. He hands me my 2 red keys, the black key, and the owner's manual. "Have a nice day."

They didn't even pull the car up to where I could take delivery at the door. No, I had to wander to the service department and ask 14 people where my car was and had to go fetch it myself. No inspection period, no walk-through. The car smelled like the person who cleaned it hadn't bothered to clean himself in weeks.

Needless to say, I gave them an almost firewall 1 rating on their Dodge survey. Someone from Dodge called me and the sales manager called to try and get me to change my rating. I did. I had some 2s on that list before he called me, then changed the rest to 1s after.

When someone takes a sh*t in your lap then tries to make it better by squirting Febreeze in your face, it tends to just make people more mad. Since, I've left a 1-star Google rating and a 1-star Yelp rating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do the same thing. Like when they finally got my Hellcat in... they were supposed to tell me when it would be there because I wanted to basically be there and watch it be unloaded and do the reclaim myself. But, they didn't tell me until like 6 hours later. They didn't clean it, put a small dent in the right rear quarter and didn't clean all the gunk from the wheel protectors off.

THEN, they tried to screw me on the price. When it was ordered, we settled on a fair expected range. But, when I landed in the finance office, he tried to show me a price that was outlandish (as-in, I was expecting high 70s for the price due to options and my law enforcement and military veteran discounts and so on). The price he gave me was almost 90k. About 10 minutes before I told him to go double check his numbers, like maaaaagic the price comes back to 82500. "Sorry sir, I pulled the wrong vehicle into this deal." It gets better.

So I'm like, "What vehicle could you have possibly pulled into this deal? This is a small town dealership that gets like 2 392s in all year long and you mean to tell me there's a more expensive Hellcat somewhere else on this lot? Plus, that price is still all wrong. I'm going to go outside and headbutt my kneecaps for a minute while you get your crap together."

So, I go outside and, on the way I out, I pass by the sales desk and point at the sales manager, "Dude, you better go straighten out your finance guy because I'm 2 minutes from walking out of this hell hole."

5 minutes later, the general manager comes out and apologizes and tells me the car is now appropriately priced at $76,400. I replied, "Great, now we've been waiting 4 MONTHS on this car, you'd think, maybe, you guys would have had time to put this stuff in the system right... but hey. Whatever."

I go back in and the brat finance guy tries to sell me on this and that, decline decline decline. When I finished and signed on the bottom line. He hands me my 2 red keys, the black key, and the owner's manual. "Have a nice day."

They didn't even pull the car up to where I could take delivery at the door. No, I had to wander to the service department and ask 14 people where my car was and had to go fetch it myself. No inspection period, no walk-through. The car smelled like the person who cleaned it hadn't bothered to clean himself in weeks.

Needless to say, I gave them an almost firewall 1 rating on their Dodge survey. Someone from Dodge called me and the sales manager called to try and get me to change my rating. I did. I had some 2s on that list before he called me, then changed the rest to 1s after.

When someone takes a sh*t in your lap then tries to make it better by squirting Febreeze in your face, it tends to just make people more mad. Since, I've left a 1-star Google rating and a 1-star Yelp rating.
Haha
yeah the rating I did the service advisor guy was all border line suicidal and telling me how I'm affecting his pay check n blah blah blah ....told him no hard feelings and that was the way I felt and my opinion with the service I received. FCA heard about it too cuz I complained on how he texted me his rant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Follow up to this warranty engine thing!!!
I take my 2016 Hcat Charger in for oil consumption test and sure enough it is really low. They run test. Take stuff apart to find out where leak is coming from. Take pictures. Open a "STAR" case. Request my previous oil change record (03/29/2019 and 01-29-2020 10 month difference!!!! ). They call me in because shop manager wants to speak to me so i am already thinking bad news and they voiding the warranty mainly cuz of the oil change cycle.
Well it wasnt all bad. Shop Manager breaks out the oil changing part on warranty and that every 6 months oil change is needed no ifs ands or buts. BUT! he said STAR didnt void the warranty but they could have and stressed the oil changes every 6 months. Then he breaks out another stat that was provided by him by STAR that if i take off to 3000 rpms from stops frequently i can burn X amount of oil which addes up and that could be the reason i was low/burning oil. Its a HELL CAT ! no one gets this car to drive it like a Ford Focus !
The GOOD NEWS. He says STAR wants to start another oil consumption test, check oil regularly and if low they will top it off and note it, to bring every 1000 miles and the 2000 miles for follow up and they will evaluate it again. Paid 11 bucks for the oil change so not a bad deal plus i needed a oil change either way.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,948 Posts
I take my 2016 Hcat Charger in for oil consumption test and sure enough it is really low. They run test. Take stuff apart to find out where leak is coming from. Take pictures. Open a "STAR" case. Request my previous oil change record (03/29/2019 and 01-29-2020 10 month difference!!!! ). They call me in because shop manager wants to speak to me so i am already thinking bad news and they voiding the warranty mainly cuz of the oil change cycle.
Well it wasnt all bad. Shop Manager breaks out the oil changing part on warranty and that every 6 months oil change is needed no ifs ands or buts. BUT! he said STAR didnt void the warranty but they could have and stressed the oil changes every 6 months. Then he breaks out another stat that was provided by him by STAR that if i take off to 3000 rpms from stops frequently i can burn X amount of oil which addes up and that could be the reason i was low/burning oil. Its a HELL CAT ! no one gets this car to drive it like a Ford Focus !
The GOOD NEWS. He says STAR wants to start another oil consumption test, check oil regularly and if low they will top it off and note it, to bring every 1000 miles and the 2000 miles for follow up and they will evaluate it again. Paid 11 bucks for the oil change so not a bad deal plus i needed a oil change either way.
The factory specifies certain service requirements to protect itself against customers who abuse/misuse a car then when something breaks come running to the factory to be made whole.

You are lucky the lack of oil changes every 6 months did not result in the warranty being voided. And to all that might read your post and believe they can expect the same treatment I would say that is just what one should not expect. That is I would not expect everyone to have the same good luck as you and somehow manage to have a clear violation of the servicing the factory calls for in order to keep the warranty intact apparently ignored.

While the car is a Hellcat and the engine a Hellcat engine it is still just an engine and subject to the things all other engines are subject to. Among these is increased oil consumption when used at the two ends of the engine's operating ranges.

Often high performance engines are fitted with low tension rings. This reduces internal engine friction which benefits the engine's output. Read more HP. But low tension rings can mean an increase in oil consumption, especially if the engine spends a lot of time idling or at a lot of time at higher RPMs.

Some years ago when I was interested in a Corvette new Corvette owners were complaining about high oil consumption. Turns out the engines were fitted with low tension rings. Some owners were driving the car operating the engine like some small displacement 2-stroke motorcycle engine driving around in a much lower gear than "normal" with the result engine RPMS were considerably elevated all the time. And the engine was subjected to lots of closed throttle coas down from high RPMs. The result was the oil practically gushed past the low tension rings.

Of course oil consumption shot up. Owners complained. GM relented in a few cases and reportedly "re ringed" the engines with standard rings. This so the owners could continue to drive their Corvette "like a sports car".

With a number of my cars -- including the Hellcat -- oil consumption is low and consistently low from day to day all the way up to oil change interval to oil change interval. But I have upon occasion driven one of my cars in a very spirited manner, if you know what I mean and I think you do, and for a good amount of time to find afterwards the oil level down a bit. Based on what i know about engines this is normal. I just top up the oil level and resume driving the car in my normal manner and oil consumption returns to its previous low and consistent consumption.

My 2nd hand experience with high oil consumption is in cases where the owner drove the vehicle more consistent with how the vast majority of owners drive their vehicles. Upon careful close and disciplined monitoring of the oil level the oil consumption was on the order of around 1 quart every 600 miles. For these cars the factory said 1 quart every 600 miles (or one liter every 1000 kilometers) was excessive oil consumption and this was dealt with under warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The factory specifies certain service requirements to protect itself against customers who abuse/misuse a car then when something breaks come running to the factory to be made whole.

You are lucky the lack of oil changes every 6 months did not result in the warranty being voided. And to all that might read your post and believe they can expect the same treatment I would say that is just what one should not expect. That is I would not expect everyone to have the same good luck as you and somehow manage to have a clear violation of the servicing the factory calls for in order to keep the warranty intact apparently ignored.

While the car is a Hellcat and the engine a Hellcat engine it is still just an engine and subject to the things all other engines are subject to. Among these is increased oil consumption when used at the two ends of the engine's operating ranges.

Often high performance engines are fitted with low tension rings. This reduces internal engine friction which benefits the engine's output. Read more HP. But low tension rings can mean an increase in oil consumption, especially if the engine spends a lot of time idling or at a lot of time at higher RPMs.

Some years ago when I was interested in a Corvette new Corvette owners were complaining about high oil consumption. Turns out the engines were fitted with low tension rings. Some owners were driving the car operating the engine like some small displacement 2-stroke motorcycle engine driving around in a much lower gear than "normal" with the result engine RPMS were considerably elevated all the time. And the engine was subjected to lots of closed throttle coas down from high RPMs. The result was the oil practically gushed past the low tension rings.

Of course oil consumption shot up. Owners complained. GM relented in a few cases and reportedly "re ringed" the engines with standard rings. This so the owners could continue to drive their Corvette "like a sports car".

With a number of my cars -- including the Hellcat -- oil consumption is low and consistently low from day to day all the way up to oil change interval to oil change interval. But I have upon occasion driven one of my cars in a very spirited manner, if you know what I mean and I think you do, and for a good amount of time to find afterwards the oil level down a bit. Based on what i know about engines this is normal. I just top up the oil level and resume driving the car in my normal manner and oil consumption returns to its previous low and consistent consumption.

My 2nd hand experience with high oil consumption is in cases where the owner drove the vehicle more consistent with how the vast majority of owners drive their vehicles. Upon careful close and disciplined monitoring of the oil level the oil consumption was on the order of around 1 quart every 600 miles. For these cars the factory said 1 quart every 600 miles (or one liter every 1000 kilometers) was excessive oil consumption and this was dealt with under warranty.
Yeah I am very lucky they are still going to monitor my case after the oil change cycle I had. And if the end result is they don't replace engine I will be frequently to check the oil levels thats for sure. I love the car and the attention it gets.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,106 Posts
So long as you're happy with how they are going about this issue, I guess that's all that matters. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts