SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about upgrading my '17 HC (which I love!!!) but... with Tesla Plaid (just slightly above a RE pricing) and now the Rimac Nevera hitting 2 seconds and below without effort (and many more like them coming) even the Demon has lost its luster. The sea change is here. Now. I hate the idea of going electric but when I see the videos of the redeye unable to compete with a BMW CS, it bothers me. I admit, being top dog is more than hallf the fun of ownership. So... I may wait until 2003 (unless the Hellephant is introduced.)

Am I alone?

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye
830 Posts
Thinking about upgrading my '17 HC (which I love!!!) but... with Tesla Plaid (just slightly above a RE pricing) and now the Rimac Nevera hitting 2 seconds and below without effort (and many more like them coming) even the Demon has lost its luster. The sea change is here. Now. I hate the idea of going electric but when I see the videos of the redeye uable to compete with a BMW CS, it bothers me. I admit, being top dog is more than hallf the fun of ownership. So... I may wait until 2003 (unless the Hellephant is introduced.)

Am I alone?
You can absolutely forget a Hellephant ever being introduced as a street car. Additionally, all of the cars you just named...still cost more than a Demon, still cost double the average cost of a Hellcat, and you still have to figure out a way to charge them in many places.

Sure, it's the future, and they are very cool.... but for now, it's still a good 15 years before electric becomes anywhere near the norm....and most people can't even afford a HC right now... how are people going to buy those cars you named?

· Registered
1,182 Posts
So, the RE wasn't the top dog anyway. Several ICE cars faster and half a dozen at the same price range that are drivers cars making the difference on who's winning a race. The thing the RE has those other cars don't IMHO is a usable interior for families.

Concept of the plaid is nice but why can't mfgrs just make the interior of an electric car just look NORMAL. What were they thinking with that stupid steering wheel and I don't need a full size TV on my dash...

· Registered
2,527 Posts
So, the RE wasn't the top dog anyway. Several ICE cars faster and half a dozen at the same price range that are drivers cars making the difference on who's winning a race. The thing the RE has those other cars don't IMHO is a usable interior for families.

Concept of the plaid is nice but why can't mfgrs just make the interior of an electric car just look NORMAL. What were they thinking with that stupid steering wheel and I don't need a full size TV on my dash...
Steering wheel trying to be a Bugatti? TRX did the big screen TV first!

· Registered
222 Posts
Anyone who is serious about performance AND can afford a @ $140k car would be foolish to buy anything other than a Plaid now. Hell, double the budget to $280k and you still can't buy a faster car. Triple it. Nope, still can't. It's a game changer, silly steering wheel be damned.
I can afford it, but it will never work without a charging network in place!

I will stick with my Redeye and upgrade to the Electric Cuda in a few years:)

· Registered
830 Posts
Anyone who is serious about performance AND can afford a @ $140k car would be foolish to buy anything other than a Plaid now. Hell, double the budget to $280k and you still can't buy a faster car. Triple it. Nope, still can't. It's a game changer, silly steering wheel be damned.
And yet, you can't drive it across country in 2 days... so what good is it really? I can drive my Redeye across the country in the time it takes you to probably make it halfway...

Yes, they're damn nice in the 1/4 mile.... but that's the benefit of a single gear and 100% full torque...

And still, 95% of the average populace can't afford one... I mean, I didn't even pay $140k for my last house...

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would never buy a Tesla S, but the 2-second plaid is only $122k. Not that much more than a Demon. I suspect the new 2-seater from Tesla will be much faster but with a much higher price tag.

Does anyone the limit of human endurance of going from 0 to 60?

· Banned
Durango Hellcat
1,847 Posts
And yet, you can't drive it across country in 2 days... so what good is it really? I can drive my Redeye across the country in the time it takes you to probably make it halfway...

Yes, they're damn nice in the 1/4 mile.... but that's the benefit of a single gear and 100% full torque...

And still, 95% of the average populace can't afford one... I mean, I didn't even pay $140k for my last house...
Why would you need/want to drive across the country in 2 days? That's what planes are for. My brother has a Model 3 and has driven from Iowa to the east coast and back multiple times. Plus if you have your wife and kids in the car, your stopping every 3 hours anyway, so no big deal. Lastly, if you live in a $140k house, owning a 9 second daily driver shouldn't be very high on your priority list.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Pure guess... but if Dodge is serious about reclaiming the bad-ass muscle car crown, they'll need to introduce an electric and/or hybrid sub 2.5 out of the gate... be it Challenger/Charger or Cuda.

Update: I just read Plaid can hit 0 to 60 in 1.91 and that Dodge had announced that the next gen will be their fastest ever... so now I'm thinking ... 2-second car out of the gate.

Overnight, I'm starting to feel my '17 HC is a turtle!

· Registered
830 Posts
Why would you need/want to drive across the country in 2 days? That's what planes are for. My brother has a Model 3 and has driven from Iowa to the east coast and back multiple times. Plus if you have your wife and kids in the car, your stopping every 3 hours anyway, so no big deal. Lastly, if you live in a $140k house, owning a 9 second daily driver shouldn't be very high on your priority list.
Why would I want to? It's not that I want to... it's that I CAN. I can drive anywhere I want, anytime of day. You can't do that with any electric car right now. You have to plot out your routes very carefully because you have to know there's a charger somewhere that you can get to. You have to know it before you go....

I drove to Michigan over the weekend, spent about 4.5 hrs in the car... didn't have to stop for 300+ miles.. was very nice...

And living in a 140k house doesn't mean anything....because in truth, some of us dont see the need in wastefully spending money on rooms or space you wont use...

· Registered
242 Posts
Why would I want to? It's not that I want to... it's that I CAN. I can drive anywhere I want, anytime of day. You can't do that with any electric car right now. You have to plot out your routes very carefully because you have to know there's a charger somewhere that you can get to. You have to know it before you go....

I drove to Michigan over the weekend, spent about 4.5 hrs in the car... didn't have to stop for 300+ miles.. was very nice...

And living in a 140k house doesn't mean anything....because in truth, some of us dont see the need in wastefully spending money on rooms or space you wont use...
Exactly. Not that I am willing to pay $140k for a car but on a previous Tesla model I routed a trip from Northern NJ to Boston and back. Basically the Tesla added a 40 minute stop to charge up on the way back. I can get a full tank of gas in less than 10 minutes. I don't believe the 40 minute stop wasn't even to top it off.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Steering wheel trying to be a Bugatti? TRX did the big screen TV first!
Steering wheel is nothing like anything I've seen in a Bugatti. It's basically a yoke. Talk about uncomfortable to drive. Even some of the most energetic people about everyone going EV are saying that was dumb for them to do.

Reactions: DevilsReject97

· Registered
1,182 Posts
I've got nothing against Electrics in general but the reasons why I'm currently refusing are:
  • Just make the damn things look normal. I don't want "futuristic" designs. Give an electric option for the normal body/interior and I may be interested.
  • Batteries start loosing their ability to hold a charge day one. Rarely talked about but after 5 or so years they are now holding 50-70% of their original charge depending on usage and model of battery. That means your 300 mile distance could now be as little as 150 miles in 5 years (before most people would have the car paid off).
  • Electrics are basically disposable vehicles as it's BIG money to change a battery pack. For those of you that do not keep their cars very long this is a non issue but someone like me it's a HUGE issue. I buy cars and keep them on average of 10 years. I buy the car I love and keep them as long as possible as I hate car payments. EV's will make it hard for people like me.
  • Give me range. I constantly drive from the Austin area to Houston or Dallas to where I'm not staying where I'm going for very long. Current state their is not a single electric that I can think of that can get me to Dallas and back without having to stop for charging. And since their are not a lot of charging stations (much less fast chargers) this is a big issue for me. Even bigger is sometimes a trip from Dallas to Austin will take me 3 hours where the very next week it's 5 hours due to traffic.

Lastly, and I hope it doesn't go against the political rules of the forum, but IMHO forcing EV's on the population will severely hurt those in the lower income thresholds. I'm talking about the millions of hard working people out their that survive buy buying cheap used vehicles for transportation. Current state you can get a fairly reliable used car for way less than $10K that will last someone a long time if they take decent care of it. With EV's you only have so much battery life and when it's done you are forced to spend $10K+ to change it or throw the car away. EV's are just starting to come to the points of age this is becoming more visible and thus why their are ever growing graveyards of them with the only problem being bad battery packs. I keep hearing for years now that the pricing of batteries will come down as more cars are produced but (even before covid) I've seen 100% the opposite and unlike a ICE engine I don't think you want to spend the coin to put used old batteries in your EV if needed to where in a ICE vehicle you can easily find cheap used engines that will be fine (again, not talking about Hellcats here, talking about those cheap used cars like civics and so forth).

· Registered
15 Posts
Steering wheel is nothing like anything I've seen in a Bugatti. It's basically a yoke. Talk about uncomfortable to drive. Even some of the most energetic people about everyone going EV are saying that was dumb for them to do.

View attachment 578997
#KnightRiderMod

· Premium Member
2021 Black Widebody Challenger Redeye
3,276 Posts
Today's electric cars have no character. No grills, no sleek lines, no sound, I mean, sure they are quick but who wants to ride around in a car that looks like a prius, or a truck shaped like a stop sign.
I guess alot of us are old school. Years ago I had a 66 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 with a 421 Tri power. It was white with black interior. Driving it at night with a full moon was the best thing. The white paint and all that chrome in the interior reflecting the moon light was something to see. The sound of the V8 with the windows down, kids these days will never experience that.
Sure, they can push a button, play on their phones & be there in no time but what's the enjoyment in that.
The Hellcat has character, sleek lines, sound, speed, and YOU are in control (for the most part). It's the last of the breed as far as I'm concerned.
Sorry for my ramblings, times are changing & we are losing the simple things in life to enjoy.

· Registered
2019 Challenger Widebody Redeye
434 Posts
Lastly, if you live in a $140k house, owning a 9 second daily driver shouldn't be very high on your priority list.
thats a pretty stupid and uninformed comment..... my $700k 1/8th acre lot home in CO buys 10+ acres and a comparable house in other states for $175k-250k

· Banned
Durango Hellcat
1,847 Posts
thats a pretty stupid and uninformed comment..... my $700k 1/8th acre lot home in CO buys 10+ acres and a comparable house in other states for $175k-250k
And your $700k buys you a 1 bedroom condo in other states. My point, which is quite informed, is that if you live in a $140k domicile, a really fast car shouldn't be a priority.

· Read Only
132 Posts
Do what makes you happy, and enjoy it while you can. But I can't see constantly chasing the next fastest electric car.

Once electric cars take hold and the luster of "faster than your gas powered car" wears off, they will just be appliances that go from A to B. Especially once right to repair is gone, software licensing becomes standard, and automated systems mature. You won't be able to break the speed limit anyway.

To be honest, I've had the most fun and made the best memories in some of the slowest cars I've owned.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.