SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
793 Posts
So what modifications do you think would be worth while for this car? I made a thread talking about the engines potential responsiveness to modification. From what I was told in that thread, you can't really do an intake because of the sensors, you can't really change the upper pulley because of the design of the upper pulley and how it operates, there isn't much room for a larger lower pulley, and the factory exhaust already flows very well (which is a good thing) so changing the exhaust isn't really worth the cost. What is left besides a tune?

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
793 Posts
I always wonder why people want to remove cats. The engineers spent hundreds of hours getting the right flow and exhaust note and then we yank it thinking we will do better. In reality 20hp would be barely noticible in this car. Good cats tend to be less restrictive than the mufflers. We are not in the 70's where the cat would choke the motor. Your better off dealing with the tires than the engine. Overhead valve motors need back pressure to run right and to keep the torque numbers up. The computer connects the dots to make sure the right mixture is there for all this to happen. Open exhaust is fine if you just want to track it but creates more problems with drivability. I always tell people that for every action there is a reaction. I would suggest that unless you are an engineer I would shy away from these mods and stick with improving times with tires or even a future mapping of the computer when that comes out.
You are absolutely right. Sometimes the engineers have to hold back some power in order to meet emissions. That's how I think a lot of people are gonna try and squeeze out some more power out of these cars. In the meantime, nothing can really be properly done until the ECM is cracked and the proper adjustments can be made to whatever parts someone might want to add or change on the car. First step is cracking that ECM.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
793 Posts
We had a meeting with the SRT engineer's a few years back in Ohio, they had come to a racing event and had taken the time to watch ask questions and take a few questions, the exhaust of the SRT was one topic that was brought up, the engineers couldn't quite understand why most people changed the exhaust as one of the first mods and even were somewhat tweaked, but it looks as if they were listening with the Hellcat lineup.
On the Hellcat, I highly doubt I would touch the exhaust. I still haven't heard it in person but based on the videos, the sound is absolute perfection! And the fact that people are saying it's much louder than the stock Shelby exhaust really makes me want to leave it alone. I'd just like to do a few tweaks to get some more juice out of it. My goal for the car would be to trap 130+ in the quarter mile. From the tests we've seen, that doesn't seem like it would be that hard at all.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
793 Posts
I hope you're right... As I know this car will sound amazing with some headers.

I've seen first hand that headers on a boosted car drops boost by 1 to 1.5 lbs. I'm not sure how much back pressure you'll lose as I don't know how restrictive the stock set up is.

It may not lose much peak power since a stock HC runs 11.6 lbs of boost. My Vette was running 6 lbs...and I lost 1 lb of boost ; droopped my peak numbers, but I gained power under the curve and the tq went up. (From memory, my peak numbers at that time dropped by 12 or so...tq went up by 30.)
In my past experiences, headers and better flowing exhaust does decrease visible boost pressure, but I've never seen a resulting drop in actual power because of it. I've always seen the opposite. Boost pressure is just a measure of restriction. With proper tuning, this should be beneficial.

I'm new to Mopar so I really have no idea, but maybe those of you Mopar guys have a better idea/guess than me. When do you think the ECM will be cracked? How long does it usually take? I don't remember tuners having such a hard time cracking the ECM on GM or Ford vehicles.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
793 Posts
I'm completely with this statement on my GT500 as soon as I installed headers I gained 38rwhp and 69rwtq and lost about 1.5lbs of boost, again the less restrictive the system the better eventhough I do agree that the HC has an amazing sounding exhaust I think that headers will make it that much sweeter while adding power let's see just need ECM cracked and hold on
That's about as good as it gets right there, very nice gains. X pipe? H pipe? What year GT500?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.