SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Dodge says they tested this engine for over 2 million miles (I believe I heard somewhere). With daily driving highway miles, lots of spirited runs, etc...no juvenile abusive behavior...what is life expectancy mileage wise...not sure the Supercharger will last too long into 100k. I believe I saw a Charger Hellcat on FB with 144,000 miles for sale. What do you all think? Night all.

Reactions: HUNTER

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,994 Posts
I know Dodge says they tested this engine for over 2 million miles (I believe I heard somewhere). With daily driving highway miles, lots of spirited runs, etc...no juvenile abusive behavior...what is life expectancy mileage wise...not sure the Supercharger will last too long into 100k. I believe I saw a Charger Hellcat on FB with 144,000 miles for sale. What do you all think? Night all.
Night???? My alarm is set for 12:30am. My days 3 and a half hours gone now (4:00am).
I would be interested also.

Reactions: GOMER

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,705 Posts
Wow 144K, that would be the highest mileage Hellcat I've heard of. There have been several threads here about highest mileage and so far the highest I've seen on this board has been about 70K miles and almost everyone above 40-50K has stated no issues with their vehicles.

Reactions: Tape and HUNTER

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,612 Posts
30,000 on mine and no problems yet (knock on wood)

Reactions: Linda's Hell Cat

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
175 Posts
The HC Challenger I drove at Bondurant last October had nearly 9000 miles on it, and all of them on the track. The black and red fobs are used depending on the course, but every day sees those cars at full throttle and full brake. Every week sees two or three different drivers in the cars.
Very little seems to go wrong with the cars in any way. They handle the heat, and handle the abuse. I expect that on the street these engines will last nearly forever. I bought my car as a result of that experience, and I'm going back in a few months - but this time with better familiarity of the Charger and Challenger.
A Lamborghini probably would not last until noon on the first day of use at Bondurant.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow 144K, that would be the highest mileage Hellcat I've heard of. There have been several threads here about highest mileage and so far the highest I've seen on this board has been about 70K miles and almost everyone above 40-50K has stated no issues with their vehicles.
I tried to find link to post...was 2 months ago. They said it originally belonged to a Chrysler exec and they bought it used. Don't know maintenance history, etc. Cool if true.

Reactions: Linda's Hell Cat

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Night???? My alarm is set for 12:30am. My days 3 and a half hours gone now (4:00am).
I would be interested also.
Hunter, do you work nights? Take care.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
728 Posts
The HC Challenger I drove at Bondurant last October had nearly 9000 miles on it, and all of them on the track
I had this very discussion with one of the mechanics when I was there last November!:D Those miles on Bondurant's Cats are all HARD for sure. I forget exactly what his opinion was on the ratio of "race" miles to equivalent street miles as far as wear & tear, but I know I felt comforted after the discussion. Maybe something like 10 or 15:1?

Reactions: SRK

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,249 Posts
They are built real tough. I think you will either land in jail or dead before you could pound one enough to hurt it. Remember how excited we are we're in '15 after reading about the new bulletproof engine in articles like this...
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/hellcat.html

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
628 Posts
I probably average 3k a year primarily on the street with 1-2 trips to the track. Mine will probably last longer than I do.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,770 Posts
If I had a nickle for every time someone asks how long an engine will last....I could probably buy another Hellcat. :D

Seriously though, there's a lot of variables....use/abuse, maintenance, build quality, fuel, oil type and cleanliness, etc....plus a little tolerance stack up and dumb luck.

The article DGatzby cited is probably the most useful. We know the design target is well over 100k under some pretty heavy loading. If you're putting on most of your miles easy or even in cruise / eco mode then lifespan is going to be very, very long.

As to the car available for sale over 100k miles, hey worst thing that happens is you get to do a rebuild with even more awesome internals. Someone has to go chase down that new 1000 HP factory Corvette!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
4,069 Posts
My opinion, if you take care of it, you'll only have gradual decline by odds and ends being broken, rubber wearing out, electronic doo-dads failing, but not a major failure on a regular basis. I believe the standardization and the desire for making the components as maintenance free as possible did a lot to make this car pretty much major systems bullet proof if treated with some care. If you thrash the day lights out of it, mod it, run a few years on the same oil change, things like that, expect to have an increased possibility of that. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,249 Posts
If I had a nickle for every time someone asks how long an engine will last....I could probably buy another Hellcat. :D

Seriously though, there's a lot of variables....use/abuse, maintenance, build quality, fuel, oil type and cleanliness, etc....plus a little tolerance stack up and dumb luck.

The article DGatzby cited is probably the most useful. We know the design target is well over 100k under some pretty heavy loading. If you're putting on most of your miles easy or even in cruise / eco mode then lifespan is going to be very, very long.

As to the car available for sale over 100k miles, hey worst thing that happens is you get to do a rebuild with even more awesome internals. Someone has to go chase down that new 1000 HP factory Corvette!
Your right, I forgot, change the oil at 500 miles and then every time you think about it! Sucker has golden oil all the time and won't even burn a drop at the race track after running it all day!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
788 Posts
Cheers! Here is to hoping mine lasts a long time.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll drink to that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts